Mental Support Community

Personality Test

IrmaJean

Yikes! :eek: Sounds interesting but what if you find out what you are really like and you don't like that person very much! That'll definitely be me! Well, I don't like me now so couldn't be any worse, right? Or, maybe I'll find out I have no personality! I am a bore, you know! I'll let you know who I am after I take it---maybe!!

Okay, just took the test. I am INTJ.

Edited by karai
updating w/ score.

I used to worry a lot about that during therapy. I was concerned about what I might find out about the motivations of my unconscious mind. But then I discovered that almost everything I found out made me feel good about myself. :o I couldn't help breathing a sigh of relief...almost as if I was being introduced to myself and just really hoped that I'd like me. And even the not-so-perfect stuff, well at least I better understood where my motivations were coming from and could work toward improving and accepting the stuff I didn't like.

You don't sound boring to me. One attribute about someone that I have always personally admired is the ability to laugh at oneself. An INTJ, huh? So did you end up liking the description of yourself? If you want to share, that is. I liked the INFJ description of me and recognized the parts of that I didn't. It seems pretty accurate for me, so I found it interesting.

Hi IrmaJean and Karai! I took the test a long time ago and it helped me quite a bit. I'm an INTP, and that explains why I'm so different!:o I hardly ever meet another INTP:(. I use the concepts all the time to help me in situations with people, so I think it is quite useful to know about introversion and extroversion, and all the rest, like the J versus the P in organization style....

Yes, I took the test , and scored on the ISTJ .All of the tests , I really don't take them seriously . However, it was interesting though, to read up on what this met. I did not agree completely with it, I bet if I did the test again, It would come up a different lettering . Has anyone tried to take the test more then once?

I have taken this test 3 times now. The 3rd time was just today, and I ended up with the excat same results . It was at least 6months ago I took it the first time..

Edited by mscat

Every time I'd taken this test (and I'm pretty sure there are a few different ones out there if I recall correctly) in the past, I was always an ISFJ. I found it really interesting that since my therapy experience I am now testing as an INFJ. So it was kind of cool to think that maybe now I'm in touch with my intuitive side because therapy helped me tap into it. And I found it equally interesting that one of the professions they suggest for an INFJ is that of a counselor. This is something that has recently entered into my thoughts and feels more and more lately like some kind of a calling or drive. I'm not sure how much to read into this test, but I thought it was kind of fun. I doubt anything is that cut and dry with people. People are likely too complex to categorize neatly.

Hi All,

I took the test 2x and scored as INTJ both times. Most of the description does describe me maybe 75% accurate. Mostly the Introvert part. Yup, me the loner. Feel most comfortable doing alone things and not in groups of more than 2. Even then I feel like escaping, eventually! Well, I figure it's good to know these things, at least in trying to understand one's self, but then as mscat said, don't take the test too seriously, but it is an interesting reveal. A thought: if your temperament changes several times, or everytime you take the test, maybe it's your mood that's affecting the result. Just a thought... :)

What I find most fascinating is to look how people respond to issues on this forum (their questions, answers, self solutions, how they present) largely based on personality type-- consistently.

The MBTI is extremely accurate; however, some switching in type occurs when one is on the cusp of one type and another. For example, one can be on the edge of E/I but score just a bit higher on the E or I and then switch back and forth based on a situation or your maturing (increased self knowldege and self discovery). If you're very heavily "loaded" (as I am-- ENTP) in specific directions (traits and not states).... changing typology is nearly impossible if one answers honestly.

I've used the MBTI in couples therapy when partners can't seem to understand each other, or situations are seen thru distinctly different lenses. Very eye-opening for everyone!

What I find most fascinating is to look how people respond to issues on this forum (their questions, answers, self solutions, how they present) largely based on personality type-- consistently.

The MBTI is extremely accurate; however, some switching in type occurs when one is on the cusp of one type and another. For example, one can be on the edge of E/I but score just a bit higher on the E or I and then switch back and forth based on a situation or your maturing (increased self knowldege and self discovery).

It's interesting to think that we're answering according to our personality types. Can you spot the types in advance right within our posts?

I'm going with the "increased self-knowledge and maturing" idea for me as to why I switched from ISFJ to INFJ. The intuition was always there...I just wasn't aware of it until we uncovered it during therapy. And now my mind is more aware of its own depths. Cool.:) I actually had my H take this test. I was amazed at how accurate the ENTJ description of him was. It was a :eek: moment most definitely.

Edited by IrmaJean
must correct typos from 2 years ago...

It's interesting to think that we're answering according to our personality types. Can you spot the types in advance right within our posts?

I'm going with the "increased self-knowledge and maturing" idea for me as to why I switched from ISFJ to INFJ. The intuition was always there...I just wasn't aware of it until we uncovered it during therapy. And now my mind is more aware of its own depths. Cool.:) I actually had my H take this test. I was amazed at how accurate the ENTJ discription of him was. It was a :eek: moment most definitely.

So it was a bit of a shocker when you and your husband took it??:) happens all the time.

It's hard to tell on the forum for most people where they are on the spectrum (except for a few who post very frequently); however, I wonder how having a severe and persistent mental illness, say Depression, Bipolar Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder, reflect on the MBTI?:confused:

Hi! I'm INFJ too. There are very few of us, so it's nice to "meet" another.

I've found the description of the INFJ to be very much like myself, and knowing my type has actually helped me to understand myself better. You might want to read Please Understand Me II, which is all about personality types.

Claire

Hi IrmaJean and All,

Have you shown your results to your T? If you did, what was his/her reaction, if any? It would be interesting to see if this knowledge has or will affect the direction of your t.

Just a thought. :)

p.s. David O., has this knowledge of your clients changed the way his/her therapy has proceeded? Just curious, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks.

In couples (in pre-marital and for those having trouble), the results have been remarkably predictable. I first hear an Ahaaaaa experience that seem to clarify many confusions. For those contemplating marriage, it can sometimes serve as a warning of what lies ahead should they become complacent. Overall, it's excellent for this and for career choices.

JR,

The typology is largely based on the work of Galen of Pergamum (127-217AD), a Roman physician, and Theophrastus, a Greek scientist (c.371AD). Both men saw character types as defining traits in humans, with Galen seeing the types as resting in the 4 humors (Sanguine, Melancholic, etc.), which were biologically determined.

Jung took up the torch and expanded on it, followed by Kiersey and Bates (Please Understand Me). Jung did not apply astrology to his writings on character types (at east not that I've ever read).

Hi guys,

OK, some food for thought:

1) Which "type" is generally correlated with the highest IQ's?

2) Did you know, for example, that ISTJ types are drawn to dentistry, auditing, accounting, mechanical engineering, math teaching, industrial arts teaching, and banking. But, you'll find very few of them in the clergy, psychologists, journalists, art, horticulture, marketing, or professional photography.

3) Would certain mental health conditions also be correlated to specific types? For example, would someone with Aspergers have a high IST or high ENF score?

So, given each of our types, what career choices would most fit each of us?

By the way, the MBTI is now the world's most used personality inventory!

Edited by David O

At the risk of annoying people with my depth psychology orientation (allowing the ego to discover, relate, and function in cooperation with the unconscious and its contents), there is much more than career or marraige counseling that the MBTI is meant for. The results of this inventory tell you how your ego is functioning, what it prefers and what it is comfortable with. You can also use this feedback for growth into the areas the ego is not so comfortable, by willingly exploring the type that is the opposite of your ego's, for example. Not only does this improve your tolerance of other types, it truly can open you to greater, braver possibilities in your own functioning.

Hi! I'm INFJ too. There are very few of us, so it's nice to "meet" another.

I've found the description of the INFJ to be very much like myself, and knowing my type has actually helped me to understand myself better. You might want to read Please Understand Me II, which is all about personality types.

Claire

Thanks. And nice to meet you too.smile.png

Hi IrmaJean and All,

Have you shown your results to your T? If you did, what was his/her reaction, if any? It would be interesting to see if this knowledge has or will affect the direction of your t.

Just a thought. smile.png

Thanks.

I showed T the ISFJ page (which was what I was testing back then) and he thought it fit me quite well. We spent part of a session discussing it, but that was about it. I think he already knew me really well by then so none of it was all that surprising. I just found it interesting and of course wanted to share it with him.

Hi everyone. I took the test and I came up INFJ as well. I don't know how accurate it is for me though because there were some questions I didn't understand and also some that I just really didn't know the answer to. I just did the best I could. I took it twice though, on two different days, and got the same result, so maybe it is right. I always get confused with these personality tests and sometimes I get annoyed when I read the explanation of the results.

I took the test again and this time a little more seriously, and poo , It still was a ISTJ. :) Now I read more on this type of personality , and hey it's pretty fitting of me. Now I wonder if it means anything , as David O , had commented in one of his earlier posts , about somebody taking this test and having a illness?

(coughs) I am Borderline , and have PTSD , Clinical Depression > which has placed me on full disability, + several times I have had major self harming incidents =time spent in CCU, surgries, blood tranfusions , and so on.

Yep it's F*** up .

Job choice , I was teaching for over 20 years > that is working with very young children . I have a degree in ECE. As a Preschool Teacher, and had directed a infant and toddler program . Thus the name Mscat, ALL our little ones called us Ms. .... oh and sometimes we had a Mr. sombody working there too :)

Edited by mscat

There aren’t too many studies that make correlations between mental illness and temperament based on the MBTI. What some suggest is that the inpatient population may have more of those with the ISFJ, ISFP, and ISTJ types. These “types” have also been seen to have more diagnosis in the depression and schizophrenia realm. Extroverts are more highly represented among those with bipolar (manic) disorder and substance abuse. Overall, Introverts and Judging types were more prevalent than Extroverts and Perceiving persons as inpatients.

There are also some who would suggest that “various illnesses may manifest themselves differently in persons of different temperaments” and that based on temperament type, a person will respond differently to their illness, hospitalization and the types of support services staff they will relate to. For example, a feeler would likely value bedside manner more than a thinker, who would place higher value on technical competence. Likewise, A senser could become distraught over bodily changes due to schizophrenia; whereas, an intuitive person might not really take note of it and focus more on their emotional shifts.

Some “types” seek out highly technical information and explanations (this would be me), whereas others would look for emotional support and would see technical info as not as essential as warmth and compassion. Some patients would respond better to CBT (the NT’s especially) while others to a more humanistic style (the SF’s and NF’s). Some patients are temperamentally more suited to group approaches, while others much prefer individual work.

Knowledge of temperament is therefore very important in making a choice of treatment. It's also important for me as i approach a client since it drives how questions are asked, why certain info is presented the way it is, how I react to what is presented and which questions to raise. I find the MBTI to be as useful as cultural competence as a clinician.

I look at my responses to others questions and concerns and they are straight out of an ENTP’s “playbook”—linear, cognitive behavioral, problem solving, what and how to do certain things, etc.

Ever wonder what “playbook” others would “be” using when they answer on the forum? Look at Allan's responses, for example (sorry Allan, I needed a guinea pig for this experiment, hope you don't mind).

Edited by David O