Mental Support Community

Personality Test

IrmaJean

Some “types” seek out highly technical information and explanations (this would be me), whereas others would look for emotional support and would see technical info as not as essential as warmth and compassion. Some patients would respond better to CBT (the NT’s especially) while others to a more humanistic style (the SF’s and NF’s).

How interesting! I'm an NF and the humanistic style of therapy worked extremely well for me. That would support your theory.

As long as we're on this interesting subject, is it possible that those with different temperaments are constitutionally more prone to develop certain kinds of illness-- are there even organic basis for both temperament and illness.

I'm suggesting this based on some of the latest research on social behavior. The hormones oxytocin and vasopressinare are usually connected primarily to lactation, labor contractions and blood pressure. However,they are now being linked to social behavior such as trust, altruism, attachment, nurturing, facial recognition, cooperation and empathy. Can these hormones be used to treat social disorders such as Autism, Asperger's Syndrome and Avoidant Personality Disorder? These hormones could have a connection to marital fidelity, as seen in some animal studies, so could they be used in couples therapy to increase affection, compassion and understanding. If these hormones can be used to foster attachment and the ability to read facial expression and emotion (which they likely do already), can they be used to treat Autsim Spectrum Disorders in the near future.

There has just started research on couples in which spouses who were about to begin conflict, once given an oxytocin spray, showed less aggressiveness and defensiveness, and more affection and openness.

This all suggests to me that temperament, which is biologically based/rooted, and mental illness, could have yet undiscovered neuropeptide links.

Any thoughts/ideas?

hi, I was wondering if you could tell me what the humanistic style of therapy is?

Humanistic therapy is rooted in the very positive view of humans. "It values a hopeful, constructive view of human beings and of their substantial capacity to be self-determining. It is guided by a conviction that intentionality and ethical values are strong psychological forces, among the basic determinants of human behavior. This conviction leads to an effort to enhance such distinctly human qualities as choice, creativity, the interaction of the body, mind and spirit, and the capacity to become more aware, free, responsible, life-affirming and trustworthy.

Humanistic therapy emphasizes the client rather than the symptom. I want to repeat this b/c it is the cornerstone of the theory and what is missing too much in how clinicin's work with clients: Humanistic therapy emphasizes the client rather than the symptom. Psychological problems (including substance abuse disorders) are viewed as the result of inhibited ability to make authentic, meaningful, and self-directed choices about how to live. Consequently, interventions are aimed at increasing client self-awareness and self-understanding, which lead to self empowerment."

The field is huge and there is much literature on it. Just go to Wikepedia, I'm sure you'll get a very good grounding on it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by David O

So Lets just cut right down to the chase , David O, just how Fucked up am I ? :D I don't care , tell me and and whoever cares to know ! Based upon what u already do know about myself , what's your opnion? u know I am female , in my 40's have a teen aged son who is ASD with cognitive delays , raised him as a single parent , struggled for YRS with mental illness, and have been hospitalized starting in my teens for a couple of yrs, then off and on, suffered a grave ED , lived through severe child abuse , taken away from parents separated from parents and siblings , in foster care, more child abuse , and SO ON>

So just how Jacked up AM I ? I am now overweight , have severe self inflicted third degree burns on my body , everywhere , and 2nd degree burns , tattoos as well, an eye brow piercing, I am soft spoken, do not like to get out much. soft spoken though. The injuries I have DO NOT look self inflicted> they are that severe.

I do not like people much AT all> I stay to myself, and those who know me call me a hermit. I am numb , emotionless most of the time. Inside and out.

I like to type and read on the computor.

I am painfully honest to a fault. Even on a damn internet fourm.

Hi mscat!:D I think all David was trying to do in this thread is look at how one's personality temperment could express itself in mental health challenges, since personality impacts so many things. You've tested as an ISTJ, and it could be that the IJ types are more apt to be self punishing than other types.

One of the things I was trained to do was to also look at typology as a source of information for growth, not just look at it for what my ego prefers, but also the opposite of what my ego prefers. Not to become my opposite-- no, we need to keep our egos-- but to stretch our tolerance and expand our abilities.

The opposite of an ISTJ is an extroverted, intuitive, feeling, spontaneous type, an ENFP.:eek: Just ask yourself, would exploring a little bit of those qualities be helpful for you? My brother is that type and he is a poet.

Edited by finding my way

So Lets just cut right down to the chase , David O, just how Fucked up am I ? .............

mscat, finding my way is right, I never intended that what I wrote would lead down this path. My sole intent was to show how fascinating and eye-opening a tool the MBTI is in helping people better understand themselves and others, from a positive and uplifting perspective. It's a simple questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions-- no more, no less. To emphasize the point further, it's used primarily for career counseling, pedagogy, group dynamics, employee training, marketing, leadership training, life coaching, executive coaching, marriage counseling, workers' compensation claims and personal development. Never been used as an instrument to assess pathology, I simply took it that route as a point of interest and exploration.

If what I wrote came out wrong or guided you down this path, please accept my apologies.

David

Vassopressin? Isn't that one of the hormones that is released during sexual intercourse? The one that encourages humans to stay with one mate? I've done some reading on the prairie vole studies and how what happens with them might shed some light on our behavior during romantic love and our behavior during long-term attachment type of love. I'm not sure I'm remembering everything right, but the whole study was really fascinating.

As far as the typing goes, I wouldn't want to read into it too rigidly or take the info negatively, Mscat. I scored 100% introvert, but I really enjoy people and like socializing with them. I just need quiet, peaceful times and don't do well with crowds. This is just a way which might encourage more self-discovery and understanding. And I think that more information could only be beneficial to understanding what makes us and everyone else tick. Maybe help us interect better? I think it's pretty interesting.

It's ok, I was in a most stressful moment when I wrote that> much like venting , no worries. Sorry to put u on the spot. Sorry David O . I had a lot on my mind. I was pissy and worried about other crap going on , therefore challenged u for no reason other then to get a little venting out of my system. I did want a response to my post, just being pissed about the the possibility of losing my medical insurance , therefore losing my therapist who I've seen for years, which I found out that very same day I wrote that > Nothing had anything to do with anything at all , as u now can see I was just in a BAD Mood . Seriously though, sorry to put u on the spot. making u the escape route I was looking for . Venting out my frustrations at that moment.

Apparently I am an ENFJ right now...Ah! But I did another test not long ago cus it was posted on a friends page and It came up with ISTP.... so it's all very confusing....

ENFJ, the 'teacher': I don't know. I mean I can be very enthousiastic, but it all depends in what mood I am in. I don't know if I can read people that well...It seems I don't these days. I know a am a good teacher and I am mostly tolerant of others, but in reality, I don't know if I am that easy to get along. And I don't get involved that easily...I am not organized. Imagination... sure. Knowing my own feelings, sure. Good with langagues...sure...

ISTP the 'cafster': They say they are skillful with tools and instruments...Ya, mostly. Love action. Ya, a lot. Dont like schedules, exactly. Seek fun on impulse and do lot of dangerous activities and get injured... hum, yes. little interest in developing language skills. Well, I do love languages, but I don't know if I am that expressive. But I know my feelings... so that's different than what they say...And for sure I've always wondered why I was a bit isolated at work.... I don't know if I always just want to do stuff. I like just hanging out with some people and talk too...

Fiercely insubordinate to those in authority, Ya, well it;'s not that I want to be insubordinate it's that I have a hard time trusting authorities for one, and two sometimes rules are confining.

so confusing, it's like those two types are diametrically opposed.

It's ok, I was in a most stressful moment when I wrote that> much like venting , no worries. Sorry to put u on the spot. Sorry David O . I had a lot on my mind. I was pissy and worried about other crap going on , therefore challenged u for no reason other then to get a little venting out of my system. I did want a response to my post, just being pissed about the the possibility of losing my medical insurance , therefore losing my therapist who I've seen for years, which I found out that very same day I wrote that > Nothing had anything to do with anything at all , as u now can see I was just in a BAD Mood . Seriously though, sorry to put u on the spot. making u the escape route I was looking for . Venting out my frustrations at that moment.

Cathy... absolutely no apology needed! I didn't take it as an angry exchange. It's hard to read into other people sometimes when all you have is a screen. Apology accepted but certainly not necessary. Thanks so much for your thoughtful gesture.

I can certainly understand why you were upset. Good luck Cathy!

Not wanting to let this very interesting topic go to quickly, here are the dating/coupling types which best match and least match a specific typology (are you ready for this):

ISTJ

Best types for a relationship: ESTJ, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP, ESTP

Run if you spot one of these: ESFJ, ESFP, ENFP, INFP

ISTP

Best types for a relationship: ESTJ, ISTJ, ENTJ, ESTP

Run if you spot one of these: ISTP, ESFP, ENTP, INTP, ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, INFP

ESTP

Best types for a relationship: ISTJ, ESTP, ISTP, ESFP

Run if you spot one of these: ESFJ, INTJ, ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, INFP

ESTJ

Best types for a relationship: ISTJ, ESFJ, ISFJ, ENTJ, INTJ, ISTP

Run if you spot one of these: ESTJ, ENFJ, INFJ, INFP, ENFP

ISFJ

Best types for a relationship: ISFJ, ENFJ, ESTJ

Run if you spot one of these: ENTJ, INTJ, ENTP, INTP, ENFP

ISFP

Best types for a relationship: ESFP, ISFP

Run if you spot one of these: ENTJ, INTJ, ENTP, INTP

ESFP

Best types for a relationship: ESTP, ISFP

Least likely types for a relationship: ISTJ, ISTP, ENTJ, INTJ, INTP

ESFJ

Best types for a relationship: ESTJ, ENFP

Run if you spot one of these: ESTP, ENTJ, INTJ, ENTP, INTP, INFJ, ISTJ

INFJ

Best types for a relationship: ENTP, ENFP, INFJ, INFP, ENFJ

Run if you spot one of these: ESTJ, ESFJ, ESTP, ISTP

INFP

Best types for a relationship: ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ

Run if you spot one of these: ESTJ, ISTJ, ESTP, ISTP, ENTJ, INTJ

ENFP

Best types for a relationship: INFJ, INFP, ENFJ, ENFP, ESFJ

Run if you spot one of these: ISTJ, ESTJ, ISTP, ESTP, ISFJ

ENFJ

Best types for a relationship: ISFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ, INFJ, ENFP, INFP

Run if you spot one of these: ESTJ, ESTP, ISTP, INTJ

INTJ

Best types for a relationship: ESTJ, INTJ, ISTP, ENTJ

Run if you spot one of these: ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTP, ESFP, ISFP, ENTP, INFP, ENFJ

INTP

Best types for a relationship: ENTP, INTP, INTJ

Run if you spot one of these: ESFJ, ISFJ, ISTP, ESFP, ISFP

ENTP

Best types for a relationship: ENTP, INTP, INFJ

Least likely types for a relationship: ESFJ, ISFJ, ISTP, ISFP, INTJ

ENTJ

Best types for a relationship: ESTJ, ISTP, ENTJ, ENFJ, INTJ

Run if you spot one of these: ESFJ, ISFJ, ESFP, ISFP, INFP

So, have your partners take the "test" and read each other's "type", it makes for fascinating discussion. Before you marry and you see muchos problems coming, take the test, it may be very revealing. ENJOY everyone!

Mmmm, I don't know about those matching. I mean, aren't these a bit based on complementary attitudes? Which would be why an ISTP would need to run from an ISTP and etc for the others....

These confuse me so much, even the types. I tried to see who my match would be and was always disapointed. Seems like I have no match if I go by these.... Plus, since I test ISTP sometimes, and then ENF...something, I don't rewmember, these are two opposites, what the heck am I and who is going to roll with me? weird

Meh, you're looking at it backwards. Being two opposite types at different times doesn't mean there's no one you could be with. It means you get to choose whoever you want to be with. :-)

[it's hard to believe it's me that keeps seeing the positive side of things ... There must be something wrong with me. Hey, I'm back!]

Malign is right:)... these are based on statistical data and never set in stone. There are always stipulations when putting things like this on paper (or screen).

My thinking-- date who you want... love who you want... love as many people as you want... marry who you want... BUT, make sure your "picker" isn't broken:mad:, otherwise it doesn't matter about typology.

I would suggest taking these findings as guideposts and roadsigns, not as unequivocal codes for living, partnering and existentially being. The MBTI, like every other psych test, is reductionistic and simplistic, it never accounts for all of the complexity and wonder of who we are as a whole.

Edited by David O

My husband doesn't show up on either a good match or one to run away from. I'm an INFJ and he's an ENTJ. I think no doubt that we are opposites on a lot of fronts. It has both positive and negative aspects, though. Sometimes we clash in our differences and sometimes the differences offer a nice balance. Married nearly 20 years now...

I'm wondering, though, what about the matchups with friends? Or even in therapy? Do certain types of therapists match better with certain types of clients? Or does the therapist simply adjust to the client's personality? I always sensed that my therapist was more like me than unlike me, but also confident in areas where I needed help...so it worked out rather well. But maybe he was adjusting to my needs.

This is a fascinating topic - I have not thought about the MB in so long. I was always so impressed with how my boss used it. The introduction of the MB put her in more of a pro-active state of mind and she was able to look at many situations in a new light. She would consider the type of the person to determine how to deliver tough or even positive feedback on their performance, deliver news of a big change, how to train and varied things like that.

Edited by Say Again