Mental Support Community

will I ever feel normal again

jessybug

Hi my name is jessica. I've been having panic attacks for a year now. I hate it I used to be an out going fun person. now Its hard for me to even get out of bed to go to work every day. I have a fear of dieing. dont know why why fear the inevitable right. I mean were all going to die some time right. well anyways like I said it all started about a year ago. I've be to a pshcologist, I've been in and out of emergency rooms theres never anything wrong. this has led to me fearing everyday life. sometimes I wonder if its worth getting out of bed. now dont get me wrong I've never attempted suicide or anything like that. I just want to feel normal again and not worry about dieing. I hate beeing alone I'm afraid Im going to die and no ones going to know. but anyways I'll stop here if anyone can help please do. or if anyone wants to talk about things maybe we can all help each other out. please :o

A thought. Not all therapists are able to offer the very specialized state-of-the-art therapies available today for treatment of panic disorder. One of the better ones out there these days is called Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic (MAP). This is what is called an "empirically validated" therapy meaning that it has been subjected to scientific study and has been shown to work well. there are a lot of non-specific "growth" oriented therapies out there. These can be very helpful for helping to manage life issues and "stuckness" but they don't work well for specific problems like panic. MAP is designed entirely for treatment of panic disorder. You may want to see a therapist who can offer you a course of MAP therapy before you rule out therapy as being something that can help.

Basically, if you don't have someone who can make a good referal for you, your best bet will be to look for a referal from an organization that specializes in the sort of therapy you want. The sort of therapy you want is a variation of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, so look in places that list CBT therapists. Likewise, organizations that deal with the problem you are suffering with are a good place to look too:

The Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies provides an excellent searchable therapist directory

The Anxiety Disorders Association of America is a national advocacy group made of of anxiety sufferers and researchers. They offer a lot of information on the anxiety disorders as well as a searchable therapist directory

You can also search Mental Help Net's therapist directory, based on zipcode to find a local therapist. Specialties are listed in the therapist's profiles, so that should help. Ask the therapist when you speak to him/her on the phone if they specialize in panic treatment, and if they don't ask for a referal to someone who does.

Finally, I recommend you listen to these podcasts, featuring interviews with the co-originator of MAP (David Barlow, Ph.D.), and with Richard Heimberg, Ph.D. who is also a well known anxiety therapy researcher.

Mark

ok well thanks. hopefully I can find some one to help me out it sure wound be nice to get over my fear and move on with life. the way I used to be. so do you thank I'll ever be back to my old self. probably not huh. well anyways guess I'll leave it at that thank you:confused:

Guest ASchwartz

Dear Jessybug,

Will you ever be back to your old self again??? What I have learned is that it is better not to get back to "our old selves," because we come out of all of our experiences, whether they were good or bad experiences, better than we ever were before. :)

Allan:)

HI Jessybug

I think too that getting through this makes us stronger people and aware of much more of ourselves. If you are able to get the help and work to overcome this you will get better at controling how it feels for you. You can get better at stopping the attack quicker and quicker in time. I am hopeful that at some point the syptoms of the anxiety attacks we have will be controled enough that we are able to brush off and say to ourselves. "ah thats just my anxiety speaking, lets just breath and relax" well it is easyer said the done:D but I'm hopeful!!

I find distraction helpful for stopping some small panic attacks, as soon as I feel the little thing coming on I reach to my purse and start organizing it, it helps me to take my mind away from thinking about my body feelings and worrying what others mabe are thinking (which makes it worse for me) by the time I have looked through my purse my symptoms are starting to come down and my heart rate has slowed enough that I get comfort knowing that it is going away - but I HAVE to distrack myself or it gets much much worse. Anyways mabe find some little thing that you can do when the panic attack starts that mabe can help you. Just a idea hope it helps a bit. I have noticed that since doing this small thing I am not as affraid of the attacks because I found something that is stopping how bad they get before it consumes me. Start small and work your way up.

take care:)

Yea my only problem is I have them alot when driving and its hard to find things to distract it when driving however I have learned that talking on the phone to someone about something else does help. So I usually call my mom on my ways home from work. I just wish that it would go away completly ya know. Its good to here from yall who understand what its like to live like this I really appreciate the ideas and hope that I can help others to.

thank you

jessica:)

Guest ASchwartz

Jessybug.

I agree with you. What we go through makes us stronger.

When you are driving start to take a few deep breaths and exhale slowly once you feel even a slight start of tension. Also, you can always pull over to the side of the road, if its daylight our, take a few deep breaths and exhale slowly. Tense and relax your muscles and just tell yourself, "I'm OK."

Also, I would encourage you to follow Dr. Dombecks suggestions.

Allan :):)

Hi all,

Im new to this site and in need of answers quick!!!!! I dont know if what i have is anxiety but thats what my Doctor said, although i had blood test and a stomach scan and both came back normal.

My symptoms started 9 weeks ago which i though i had a viral infection, at the moment i am suffering really bad backach and weakness to the upper arms and thighs and just dont feel right in general sometimes i have a feeling of warmth in my stomach and feel nervous or nausea it has got better over the weeks apart from my neck shoulders and back pain and the weakness of my upper arms and thighs when i stand up i feel as though i need to sit back down...this is totally interfering with everyday life i have to push myself to go out now....i hate this and want it to stop my hubby and kids are the one's suffering cause i feel that something is seriously wrong please can anyone help me.

Thanks

well if you've been to the doctors and they say theirs nothing wrong then it very well could be anxiety but its that fear of the silent killer. huh ya know like what if the doctors are missing something. I completely know what your felling. the best thing I think is ya know pushing yourself and doing things anyways cuz everyday you push yourself your get stronger. you may not fill like it. but ya know your not giving up. So the best I can say is dont give up and maybe get medicine for your anxiety or go to a therapist.

Anne,

weakness could be neurological. This might be anxiety, but generally, anxiety just doesn't come out of the blue - anxious people tend to be anxious regularly. If this came on like a standard illness, it might be that there is something subtle happening that the first doctors you saw have missed. See about getting seen by a neurologist please if the symptoms continue.

Mark

"Will I ever feel normal again" is a deep question frought with anxiety in and of itself. It is the question I have been asking myself (and every professional from whom I have ever sought advice) since I had my first panic attack in 2003 and became disabled from work in 2005. I have heard a lot of people say you have to find a "new normal." That, no, your life will never be the same again. I have heard others say that normal is defined by each individual and so only you know if you feel "normal." I don't know where the answer lies but perhaps somewhere between the 2 extremes. Honestly, I know I will never be able to return to my career of choice again but, perhaps someday, with therapy and hard work, I will find a new career that suits me AND my illness. It is definitely a work in progress, though. HUGE hugs from one who has been there.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replys, it just really worries me that its lasted for so long and my symptoms tend to be the same but over the last week its the base of my spin more to the left side that burns and then i get the strangest feeling inside then i get burning in stomach and going up into my chest and really achy from shoulder blades up the back of my head....i am so worried the doctor dont want to know.

Thanks again.