Mental Support Community

Depression as a crutch?

OCDmom

I have one. When do you know that you're already using depression as a crutch/excuse to not get things done?

I asked because sometimes it seems easier for me to lie down and take 3 hrs of naptime in the day, but then later feel guilty that I could have done this chore or that chore in the house. And in my last analysis I found that I am not doing everything that I can. For example, I never use an alarm clock to set a time limit to my nap. There are days when I would wake up from only an hour's nap, but I didn't want to get up and so I ended up napping for two more hours. And then the quality of night sleep suffers.

I think that I've been depressed too long that I no longer know what it feels like NOT to be. Or maybe I don't want to know because I've gotten used to this lifestyle.

To me, it sounds more like you're beating yourself up for being depressed. Sure, life is full of missed opportunities. You have two choices: get mad at yourself for not taking them, or just resolve to take them next time. I bet you find the second one is more productive.

Granted, you might be afraid of taking the opportunities, but I would bet it's not just because you're lazy. Give your frightened self a break; it probably has its reasons for being frightened. Can you try to find out what would be "worse" about getting better? If you say it out loud (to yourself, even), you might find that it's a fear that's no longer valid.

Hi OCD mom,

This was and still is one of my greatest challenges. I have spent so many years fighting depression that I have never really learned what it is like to actually experience positive emotions. I have alwys just put on a front for others and it has never felt real to me. I found that I had gotten very comfortable in what I knew - being depressed. Learning to not be depressed is very anxiety provoking for me. I wish there were and easy answer, but no, it is an every day struggle to learn to be ok with positives emotions. I take it one moment at a time.

I have one. When do you know that you're already using depression as a crutch/excuse to not get things done?

I asked because sometimes it seems easier for me to lie down and take 3 hrs of naptime in the day, but then later feel guilty that I could have done this chore or that chore in the house. And in my last analysis I found that I am not doing everything that I can. For example, I never use an alarm clock to set a time limit to my nap. There are days when I would wake up from only an hour's nap, but I didn't want to get up and so I ended up napping for two more hours. And then the quality of night sleep suffers.

I think that I've been depressed too long that I no longer know what it feels like NOT to be. Or maybe I don't want to know because I've gotten used to this lifestyle.

Please remember that depression is an illness > this is not an excuse , however , it is real. Exhaustion is one of the main symtoms of depression. If your sleeping because of depression, it is a part of the problems that co exsist with having the disorder. Along with poor self image, pulling away from friends and family, isolating oneself, hpersomia, Hyposomia , feelings of worthlessness, and not having the desire to do the things you once liked. Not finding joy in ones life . Crying spells, sucidal thoughts, and the list continues on.

If you are seeking help for your depression and it is still not getting any better, and your experiencing the same symtoms or have felt worse, then please go talk to your Doctor . Are you in therapy ? A combination of medication and therapy is the ideal way to treat depression .

I think your being too hard on yourself. What do you think?