Mental Support Community

Do you ever wonder..

Donna

If you have other problems that havnt been diagnosed?

whenever ive looked around for info on the problems i have it invariably leads on to other disorders, and some traits seem to fit me quite strongly in fact some more than some of the traits of the disorder ive been diagnosed with.

i dont take everything on the net too seriously..there is both good and bad info out there but i can identify with some things.

im not sure if i read into things and am swayed by them,im an hypochondriac or i really do have other problems that im unaware of.

does this happen to anyone else?

I definitely thought about that too. I am a 35-yo wife and mom being treated for depression and OCD. But I also have this feeling that I may have BDD as well. I don't go to therapy, I just see my doctor regularly for medication adjustments, although I try to make the most of those appointments for whatever questions/issues I might have. The fact that I have OCD was just recently established. Maybe I should mention BDD in my next appointment. Also, I think I have ADD.

Anyway, I guess my point is, if these conditions are foremost on your mind then you should definitely confirm with your doctor. Nowadays BDD and ADD don't seem to be much of an issue for me, although it's possible that they are still issues that I have repressed/forgotten somehow. I hope this helps.

The thing that I have noticed is that everyone has traits of almost everything if we look hard enough. I tend to focus on the traits that bother me the most and what I can do about them regardless of the label. Labels are helpful in that the medical professional can narrow down the medications or specific help one might need. What is it that bothers the most, and then what can help me with these.

mabear ive noticed that everyone has some traits of something as well (which often makes me question the vadility of some 'disorders',but thats another topic lol) but some of the things i worry about because i fit the descriptions quite strongly..in fact probably much stronger than the 'normal' people who might fit some of them.

I think it worries me because some of the things i do identify quite strongly with are not very pleasant.

im not qualified in anyway to make any diagnosis of course but for eg i fit quite a lot of the traits of a sociopath which i never knew anything about until someone i knew who has a doctorate in psychology and studied mental health disorders said i had strong traits with it (he also told me he felt i had BPD and an ED,even though id never mentioned anything about it to him) and narcissim too although all of these i seem to go from one extreme end to the other with the various traits..maybe their closely linked with BPD traits?

OCDmom, Thankyou for the suggestion but my Doctors arnt the kind of ones you can go speak with any worries or suspicions unfortunately regardless of how you try to say something until you hit a crisis point then if you're lucky they just write a letter to the cpn who has an average of a 6mth waiting list who then again if you're lucky refers you to a psych who has about a 3mth waiting list...and tbh i dont even know what they do other than ask the same questions each time.

i rarely go but whenever i do and whatever it's for they just look at the pc screen and comment about me being under mental health care then totally disregard anything i say lol. Whch is why i dont really go.

I hope yours will listen to you, it's definately worth discussing it with them if they are the kind that take you seriously.

Interesting that a friend would make those types of 'diagnosis'. Wow. I guess I am more interested, if you are willing to share, what is bothering you personally. What have you noticed in yourself? All of those words 'dx' have so many different meanings and very different traits involved in each one. This site certainly is not a place nor would anyone here attempt to dx, but maybe we can offer help with dealing with the symptoms that are of most concern to you.

He didnt diagnose me but did say i had the traits.

some of these are what worry me...i went to a sociopath traits site and copied and pasted to make it quicker lol rather than start trying to type everything,the ones i put in italics dont apply to me and the ones in bold are the ones i strongly identify with...the rest is me but to a milder degree.

1. GLIB and SUPERFICIAL CHARM -- the tendency to be smooth, engaging, charming, slick, and verbally facile. Sociopathic charm is not in the least shy, self-conscious, or afraid to say anything. A sociopath never gets tongue-tied. They have freed themselves from the social conventions about taking turns in talking, for example. (im only like this with people i know)

2. GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH -- a grossly inflated view of one's abilities and self-worth, self-assured, opinionated, cocky, a braggart. Sociopaths are arrogant people who believe they are superior human beings. (im only cocky and opinionated with people i know and sometimes get carried away about things 'i can do')

3. NEED FOR STIMULATION or PRONENESS TO BOREDOM -- an excessive need for novel, thrilling, and exciting stimulation; taking chances and doing things that are risky. Sociopaths often have low self-discipline in carrying tasks through to completion because they get bored easily. They fail to work at the same job for any length of time, for example, or to finish tasks that they consider dull or routine.

4. PATHOLOGICAL LYING -- can be moderate or high; in moderate form, they will be shrewd, crafty, cunning, sly, and clever; in extreme form, they will be deceptive, deceitful, underhanded, unscrupulous, manipulative, and dishonest. (moderate in my case)

5. CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS- the use of deceit and deception to cheat, con, or defraud others for personal gain; distinguished from Item #4 in the degree to which exploitation and callous ruthlessness is present, as reflected in a lack of concern for the feelings and suffering of one's victims.

6. LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT -- a lack of feelings or concern for the losses, pain, and suffering of victims; a tendency to be unconcerned, dispassionate, coldhearted, and un empathic. This item is usually demonstrated by a disdain for one's victims. (i dont have any 'victims' though lol im not a mass muderer! a few ppl have said ive ill-treated them but they're kind of whingy self-pitiful ppl and i dont think that counts! but the rest of it applys..im not reallty sure what it means by 'victims' anyway)

7. SHALLOW AFFECT -- emotional poverty or a limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness in spite of signs of open gregariousness.

8. CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY -- a lack of feelings toward people in general; cold, contemptuous, inconsiderate, and tactless.

9. PARASITIC LIFESTYLE -- an intentional, manipulative, selfish, and exploitative financial dependence on others as reflected in a lack of motivation, low self-discipline, and inability to begin or complete responsibilities.

10. POOR BEHAVIORAL CONTROLS -- expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper; acting hastily.

11. PROMISCUOUS SEXUAL BEHAVIOR -- a variety of brief, superficial relations, numerous affairs, and an indiscriminate selection of sexual partners; the maintenance of several relationships at the same time; a history of attempts to sexually coerce others into sexual activity or taking great pride at discussing sexual exploits or conquests.

12. EARLY BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS -- a variety of behaviors prior to age 13, including lying, theft, cheating, vandalism, bullying, sexual activity, fire-setting, glue-sniffing, alcohol use, and running away from home.

13. LACK OF REALISTIC, LONG-TERM GOALS -- an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals; a nomadic existence, aimless, lacking direction in life.

14. IMPULSIVITY -- the occurrence of behaviors that are unpremeditated and lack reflection or planning; inability to resist temptation, frustrations, and urges; a lack of deliberation without considering the consequences; foolhardy, rash, unpredictable, erratic, and reckless.

15. IRRESPONSIBILITY -- repeated failure to fulfill or honor obligations and commitments; such as not paying bills, defaulting on loans, performing sloppy work, being absent or late to work, failing to honor contractual agreements.

16. FAILURE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR OWN ACTIONS -- a failure to accept responsibility for one's actions reflected in low conscientiousness, an absence of dutifulness, antagonistic manipulation, denial of responsibility, and an effort to manipulate others through this denial.

17. MANY SHORT-TERM MARITAL RELATIONSHIPS -- a lack of commitment to a long-term relationship reflected in inconsistent, undependable, and unreliable commitments in life, including marital.

18. JUVENILE DELINQUENCY -- behavior problems between the ages of 13-18; mostly behaviors that are crimes or clearly involve aspects of antagonism, exploitation, aggression, manipulation, or a callous, ruthless tough-mindedness.

19. REVOCATION OF CONDITION RELEASE -- a revocation of probation or other conditional release due to technical violations, such as carelessness, low deliberation, or failing to appear.

20. CRIMINAL VERSATILITY -- a diversity of types of criminal offenses, regardless if the person has been arrested or convicted for them; taking great pride at getting away with crimes.

i probably sound like some kind of lunatic or something,and it makes it even dumber because i know im like this therefore it shouldnt really apply to me..i dunno it's confusing but when you see something like that and identify with it to a strong degree it's a bit spooky and scarey and there's a lot more i could add to it, maybe this kind of thing is related to BPD or normal(ish) human flaws or something? i dunno im getting confused maybe i shouldnt take no notice or give a sh!t ..and tbh in some ways im not sure i do really, it's just one of those things that kind of niggle sometimes.

i think im turning into some kind of hypochondriac or something..either that or im even divvier than i thought!

and i am probably going to regret posting this later :D in fact i know i am!

Edited by Donna

These lists of traits from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual are meant for professionals analyzing others. My experience is that most people are not capable of being objective enough about themselves to evaluate themselves. I, for one, can convince myself of almost any trait if I'm left to stare at it for long enough.

This "diagnosis" from a "friend" with a doctorate in psychology doesn't sound very professional, to me. It's one thing for them to think it, and another to just tell you. A proper professional would have done something more supportive, not just dropped their opinion on you and left you. It sounds to me like they could have had something to gain, for themselves.

All the more reason to get an objective diagnosis from someone else, then, huh?

yeah i think im just a bit dumb , i think it's because i already knew all these kind of things about myself so somebody saying it, giving it a name and then when i read it in black and white made me worry over nothing lol but im a bit odd because while i dont lke the way i am at times or seeing that kind of thing in myself im also kind of glad im the way i am..if that makes any sense?

i feel really stupid!

Donna,

you are not dumb or stupid. It's human nature to seek out answers about onself and personality . Nothing wrong at all about that.

One thing that I have found out to be true is the overlap of behaviors found in one disorder to the next. Making it further confusing. It is not always cut and dry.

Anther thing I beleive is a diagnoses is not applied to a undiviual unless it is obvious and serious eough to be affecting the persons life daily. It is unswise to try and diagnose oneself, because i have even found out that it creates more confusion and wonder if I have this or that too?

Even when professionals use the DSM as a diagnostic tool, they are not going to automatically label a individual without seeing the person for a while and getting a good understanding of the persons personality/traits/characteristics. I did not even know what My diagnoses was , until I was found fully disabled though Social Security. then their were many labels >

Sometimes, I see myself as heartless , uncaring, evil .I swing back in forth from good to bad . It is something that I have struggled with for 25 years . Other characteristics of I have too, BPD. However, I wonder is advoidant Personality Disorder is there as well. But, with the PTSD, Major Depression, Anxiety, low Thyroid, Low b12, , Major self injury, not a disorder, but a big problem for me.

I guess my point is the overlap in disorders are there .

Hi Donna,

One very quick thot--- If you had Anti-Social Personality Disorder (the sociopath) and Narcissism--- there would be a very low probability that you would be on the forum asking!!! You would have about as much interest in knowing/understanding and seeking to heal from this as a cat would to swimming across a fast moving creek (but there are exceptions).

One thing I've never done is casually mention to a friend that they have so and so condition (Malign is right)... and if I did, it would only be in my office as a professional and only after an evaluation, but then again, I'd never see a friend in professionally. If they specifically ask, I might suggest, very tentatively, that they should see someone professionally and even refer. But to hand diagnosis out like candy and ice cream cones is unprofessional, insensitive, a violation of your privacy (how dare I intrude into your life by diagnosing you w/o your permission), a game of one-up-manship (if I define you first, I can control you-- and old game), and besides, I'm not getting paid to play shrink when I'm in a social situation.

This whole think just smells bad!

Donna, see someone professionally if you're concerned (by the way, your "friend" needs a lesson in professionalism and manners:eek:.......:).......:().

I guess it wasn't such a short thot after all--- mia culpa!

David