Mental Support Community

Abuse in Divorce..

tomatty

youve got to get out, and youve got to get the kids out, the law is usually on the womans side, so this is tricky for you, start videotaping her for the court, im afraid she will take the kids and run, or worse kill you off......be careful be very careful, plan plan plan, get your evidence. this does not seem to be a normal divorce, its abusive and violent and shes going to hurt you before she will let you go, i dont think you realise how much danger you are in...........WAKE UP. TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.

Edited by catsirish
posted twice

youve got to get out, and youve got to get the kids out, the law is usually on the womans side, so this is tricky for you, start videotaping her for the court, im afraid she will take the kids and run, or worse kill you off......be careful be very careful, plan plan plan, get your evidence. this does not seem to be a normal divorce, its abusive and violent and shes going to hurt you before she will let you go, i dont think you realise how much danger you are in...........WAKE UP. TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.

We are trying. I have plenty of evidence, I have a good attorney, I am paying out my ass to try to get frankly what I feel I need to get. I originally told her she could have the children if I could have shared parenting and see them two days a week. Her dissolution proposal was for 1 day a week and her to have sole custody. Once the violence started I knew (and my attorney agreed) that we needed to play hardball. I am scared for my life. Her dad is old and crippled and I am just as scared of him as I am of her. He sees his daughter's anger and he sees his wife cry. I am afraid he will come over someday and put a bullet in my head. Like I said, hopefully the custody and residence orders will come this week and I will change the locks on my house when they do.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any idea if the courts "expect" a degree of verbal and/or physical abuse when couples go through divorce? I am asking for custody of my children, citing many instances when my ex has physically and verbally abused me, but 90% of these instances occurred after I told her I wanted out. I am just concerned that the court will say, "Well of course she was pissed off, she does not want a divorce and you do, so there will be instances of abuse because she is angry." and not give it much weight. The only argument I have is that she did these things in front of the children, making them cry and scream for her to stop.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.