Mental Support Community

mother's anxiety disorder affects son's college performance

catlover

Is it possible that my anxiety disorders (OCD, panic disorder, cyclothemia,SAD) could be responsible for my son at college having a drop from a 3.67 GPA first semester to a 1.95 second semester? He had a scholarship which he has lost unless he files an appeal. Help!

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Catlover,

Your question is this:

Is it possible that my anxiety disorders (OCD, panic disorder, cyclothemia,SAD) could be responsible for my son at college having a drop from a 3.67 GPA first semester to a 1.95 second semester? He had a scholarship which he has lost unless he files an appeal. Help!

My first and immediate response to your question is that your anxiety and depression are causing you to blame your self for your son's difficulties in college.

While there is no question that something is going on with him there are many possible causes to his present problems. For example:

1. He may have inherited some of your anxiety and depression and his emotions could be a possible cause for his drop in his GPA, 2. He may be having girl friend problems at school and this could be a contributor, 3. He may be indulging in what is now a major problem on college campuses: drinking too much or using other drugs, 4. Yes, he may be worried about you if anything NEW has happened at home, 5. He may be taking much more difficult classes and is now having a hard time with them.

These are just a few of the many things that could be happening to him.

The colleges and universities have counseling centers on campus and it would be a good idea for him to visit the one on his campus so that he can get some help. The colleges are equipped with psychiatrists and therapists because of the fact that it is common for young people to experience problems while at school. You can encourge him to go to the health or counseling center at the school.

There are some things you do not mention about him: How old is he? Is he a freshmen or is he more advanced? Is he living in a dorm or privately? Does he have a girl friend? Does he make friends easily or not? Did he have problems in High School? Does he complain about missing being at home? What reasons does he give you for his drop in grades?

Allan

Edited by ASchwartz
fix quotes