Mental Support Community

Spam Mail in Private messages?

Kalima

I think I have been getting Spam mail in my private messages on here. The messages are just a little random. Am I being silly or is that really what these messages are?

I have edited the email addresses enclosed just incase it is legitimate:

Hai,am adama

(@yahoo.co.uk)

I have the feeling that this piece of mail will reach you in a perfect state of mind and in a better healthy condition. While searching through the net, I came accross your contact address and decided to contact you. I believe and also have the feeling that in todays world, neither race, nationality nor religion will any longer posse a barrier to male/female relationships.

Although, we do not know each other well but I will really like to have you as a friend or pen pal if that is better for you.I am a single lady of 23years old, currently liveing in West Africa. While I hope to hear from you soon,

and also look forward to receiving some information concerning you, your family, country and even your personal life experiences. This will give us the opportunity of knowing each other better and be able to understand ourselves more. May God bless you as I wait to hear from you soon through this email address. (@yahoo.co.uk)

hope you write with love.

hello

My name is miss Philomiina shadab i saw your profile here.www.community.mentalhelp.net.today and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture, for you to know whom i am.

Here is my email (@yahoo.com)

I believe we can move from here!

I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.

Philomina.

(Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)

(@yahoo.com)

I was actually going to post the same thing. I received the same one mentioned above and another last week. I do delete them and move on but wonder if there is some way to prevent them, at all? While they do not bother me beyond an annoyance, there is always the possibility that someone could get caught up in this scam- especially folks who are dealing with emotional states such as some here are. I just think it would be a shame for this site, which has become a safe haven for so many of us, to lose that sense of safety. I have been part of other communities where you do not receive PM privileges until a certain number of posts has been reached or some other goal. Is that not possible here? It is obvious these "people" are joining for the sheer privilege of PMing their spam since they always have a post count of 0.

I hadn't thought of that option, but I'll look into it now.

There isn't any setting in the Vbulletin system that will make it so you don't get posting privilages until you've made a certain number of posts. I can turn it on or off (private messages), and I can expand the amount of time that must occur between sending such messages. I've set it so that you can only send one PM each hour.

If people want to bring member names who are spaming the boards to my attention, I can ban those members.

What do you all think of simply turning PMs off though? As I think about it, I really would prefer that all the business of this board occur in public and I personally won't miss any private messaging service.

Mark

What do you all think of simply turning PMs off though? As I think about it, I really would prefer that all the business of this board occur in public and I personally won't miss any private messaging service.

Mark

This is a tough one. I can see value to both. Not having PMs, as you stated, keeps all of the "business" out in public and prevents any scamming or anyone taking advantage of others here. But, at the same time, this is a public, open forum so anyone, at anytime, can read anything shared here- whether a member or not. There may be situations or issues which some may not be comfortable sharing so openly. Even if willing to share with members of the site, knowing anyone could read it, may make them hesitant to post. Likewise, some sensitive issues may be difficult to share in a group setting but, knowing another member in a similar situation, it may be easier to share with that one member through PM. So, I guess I am no help, at all,. since I can see the benefit of having PMs and of not having PMs. I guess if there is no other way to keep the waters free of sharks and trolls, eliminating PMs is a necessary evil, though.