Mental Support Community

What would people like to talk about?

Mark

I'd love a discussion of different kinds of defence mechanisms, especially the more constructive/helpful ones, perhaps also the more self-defeating ones and how we can become more aware of which ones we use and how to alter them.

Congrats, Dr. Mark on your new baby boy!!! <3 :-D

And thank you for the essay on defense mechanisms!!! I have AvPD and always wondered what sort of coping strategy I'm stuck at, and where I should be going! Your essay helped map that out for me, and I'm very grateful for the info!

Jane

Fantastic essay on defence mechanisms; just what I had in mind. Thanks! :) We did these in a psych2 course I did fifteen years ago, so I'd forgotten most of them and how they worked.

I found learning about defence mechanisms, even from the theory, really helped me explore and identify my own in therapy, and also helped me to see how I could practice and adopt some of the more mature ones. I recognise some of the ones I still slip into when I'm depressed.

I can heartily recommend sublimation. Adopting this one and channelling it into art, changed my life. :)

Hey Mark and Everyone,

I'd like to see more discussion in the Aging forum - dealing with elderly parents needs, conflicts with them, suggestions for getting them "unstuck" when they are, stuff like that.

Heaven knows when momma ain't happy, nobody's happy, and that can be very stressful....:)

Thanks,

confuzzed

P.S. Congrats on the new baby!!!!

Archived