Mental Support Community

What is your itch number?

08hduc

You know the 7 year itch lore. In relationship terms - usually after 7 years people tend to re-evaluate their relationship.

When was the first time after your diagnosis did you get the itch to stop your meds?

For me it was 1 year and a few days. Last week, after I got out of the lockup, I looked at the numbers from my admissions and noticed I fell into the realm of having SAD. So I got the idea that if I only loose it seasonally than I could go without meds the rest of the time and be like "normal" folks. PDoc didn't like my idea at all. Neither did my family. What gives:rolleyes:

hi 08hduc.

I think with me I didnt even make it to the year mark (oops) but then I hate meds, especially the ones that space me out, I mean whats the point in pills that make you feel more out of it than you already do ;)

I can understand you being eager to come off the meds, and to me it sounds a reasonable conclusion that if its seasonal, then only take the meds in the season your ill. Allthough, I think that the meds probably have to stay in your system all year round to be able to do there job.

Take care :)

I put up with them medicating me for 8 years. Worst decision of my life. Though I agree that having the right medication can benefit someone deeply, you'd figure after the hundreds of different medications they had me on I would learn that I'm a lost cause... but nope, I put up with it for 8 years.. and 3 months.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the itch about every other year, usually in early spring/late winter when everything is coming into bloom and I am excited that the sun is finally returning! :( This year happens to be one of those years and so far I have managed to stay on my meds. I have caught myself skipping doses, because I forget or I stay up for 19 or 23 hours at a time. I see something wrong in my behavior which is why I'm going in for an adjustment soon...

well judging by my admissions, 19 in 4 yrs??? :( It seems every couple of monthsI end up in the hospital. So I always have a bag packed!!!

I had no choice with meds, when I refused in the early times I got committed but that was before the Dr really knew me and I guess my strong :pwillfull:p personality was misunderstood.

Actually I'm the opposite with meds though. I have learned the stubborn way, no meds don't work ~ but taking meds don't work either....

so every so often I finally get tired of being in hell and tell my pdoc ok whats left in your bag of tricks and he is oh so more then happy to try something else as he patiently waited for me to hit bottom.

But the trick with me is control, I need to be in control and not forced or manipulated...so my family, therapist, friends and Pdoc know I have to WANT to take the meds and eventually i will give in when I am just so physically and emotionally drianed from an illness we can't seem to fix.....

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Linda,

You have expressed your dilemma very vividly. That is why I am wondering if you are speaking to a therapist along with taking meds and seeing you Pdoc?

You see, working with the right type of therapist, someone with expertise in Bipolar disorder and its management, can help you learn how to avoid the pitfalls that result in more cycling and more hospitalizations. In fact, cognitive behavioral psychotherapy can be effective with this. Learning how to get control of situations is more than half the battle.

Allan :D

Well, it's actually the second time for me in 5 years. The first time I lasted a week or two and realized that was not a good situation. This time I've been off about a month and want to see if I can manage my dystymia without it. I need to feel strong emotions right now to move away from my X, otherwise I just end up all wishy washy about a situation I need to take action on. I actually wonder how much this relationship contribued to my feelings of depression and my need to take medication... I guess time will tell.

For the time being I'm managing pretty well and it's nice to 'feel' again, although I am feeling very short tempered and pretty irritable. Luckyly I don't live with anyone at the moment... :D

Archived