Mental Support Community

When smart folks say stupid things

08hduc

Wife and I met a local lunch only friend for a meal this afternoon. What that means is we meet during lunch to discuss news, events etc. We don't hang out or go to each others houses, just lunch debate.

The restaurant had CNN playing and they were discussing the Pentagon shooter. When the report said the shooter was bi-polar the friend said, (semi laughing semi serious) "I tell ya what, I think they need to round all you crazies up and lock you away".

I said, "what? Without committing a crime and without a trial?"

He said, "you lost that right the day you decided to go nuts".

I said, "do you honestly think anyone would choose to be nuts like me?"

His reply (ready for this), "I think you folks will do anything to suck free milk from the governments tit".

WOW, what a statement.

Lunch friend 2 arrives. He says to me, "I see the Pentagon shooter is one of your friends".

I said, "for cripes sake, is everyone going to blame me for this?"

He said, "Don't be a whiney bitch! If it had been a black guy you would have said he was my friend".

I said, "you're probably right".

He said, "but you have to admit, if they locked all you guys up there would be a lot less pain and suffering in the free world".

I said, "same for you guys". Subject changed to a local killing NOT involving a BP.

After researching the shooting I see the shooter displayed all the symptoms of someone out of control and his family asked for help. But just like in my situation, the "system" only reacts after the crime, rarely proactively to avoid the crime. So sad.

I was really off my nut this past weekend. Did I need commitment? NO Did I need a safe place to go to calm down? YES Was that place available? NO Did the "system" have anything to offer beside a cop ride to the psych hospital? NO

What was I to do? I had the kids lock me outside and had them set the alarm. I sat in a chair in the backyard until I was sun burned but calmed down. What was the trigger? Who the hell knows. I am current on all my meds. All the PDoc had to say was, "keep an eye on it and always know we can hospitalize you if needed". I am so sick of hearing that H word. But it is better than the J word.

I swear I don't know how my family has adjusted to me going for mr normal dad to the nutty professor in just over 1 year. Bless them for it. I don't know if I could have hung in there if the roles were reversed.

hang in there. I know it's tough and it really does suck!! We are lucky our families support us and they should. We are ill and yes Bipolar is a medical illness if they want to get technical just ask my insurance company, they cover me under medical not mental....

I know you hate the "H" word and yes it is better then the "J" word.... Something still sound s off though, meds need some obvious tweeking...

It is unfair what you and your family is going through and I really feel for you because I go through my own death wish situations.... :)

And I'm glad I wasn't at your local lunch debate because I would have..... well, I can't say :mad:......

I'm hoping everything settles down for you and of course, keep yourself SAFE..... :)

And I'm glad I wasn't at your local lunch debate because I would have..... well, I can't say :mad:......

Hi Linda. Yeah I know but I have to take it with a grain of Zyprexa because lord knows I bust their balls every chance I get. It's an old military guys lunch and we go after each other like in-laws. Even when it hurts:(

My meds probably do need a tweak but the PDoc didn't seem interested in seeing me at all this past week. Wonder what he gets as a kick back for each admission? If so that would explain holding off on some people!

Geez, that was barbed. iT just makes me think of the saying "with friends like these, who needs enemies?"

Not related to BP, but similarly insensitive:

I had difficulties with my second pregnancy and kept going into far-too-early labour from 23 weeks on. I had to lie in bed for the last 4 months and had to take various meds to stop contractions. But it was fine in the end, J was born at term, healthy, no complications. I, however, got severe postnatal depression, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, 8 years later, J got Type 1 diabetes. A "friend" who is one of those "all-natural", "drugs-are-poison" type people, said to me, "but how did she get that?" No-one knows what causes this kind of diabetes. She thought for a bit and then said, "OH. It must've been all those drugs you took while you were pregnant!"

I mean, WTF???

(And by the way, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the "drugs I took.")

.............!

Hi Luna, intersting about our stories, we seem to really be going through the same stuff. I to had difficult pregnancies and had to stay on bed rest with 4 out of 7 and they were scatterd, not just my last ones....:rolleyes: anyway.... it just goes to show no matter how good or bad we take care of ourselves, shit happens and anyone claiming to be more perfect then another is rudely awakened...:D

I swear I don't know how my family has adjusted to me going for mr normal dad to the nutty professor in just over 1 year. Bless them for it. I don't know if I could have hung in there if the roles were reversed.

I'm sure you're kids and wife are proud of you. Especially for knowing yourself enough to know when you need to calm down. I commend my mother for putting up with my crazy a** for as long as she has. It takes a strong person and a lot of love to put up with us!! :(

Archived