Mental Support Community

I'l have one change of sexuality with some fries thanks

Endure

What a load of narrow minded nonsense that some people out there can claim that sexuality is just something that can be molded and converted to custom fit society's standards. Isn't it funny how those who claim such a conversion is possible are often either heterosexual's who believe that every other sexuality besides their own ideal is changeable which is just plain arrogant, or they are confused individuals who are still uncertain about their own sexuality and apply those standards upon the rest of humanity because they are unable to see outside of their own experiences

I am open minded enough to accept that this therapy may work for confused individuals who are uncertain about their sexuality, but the people who claim of conversion are not willing to acknowledge that we are not all confused and some of us acquired sexuality biologically, for some of us our attraction is clear as daylight.

So sad that we live in a world where people can't see beyond their own narrow minded values and think one size fits all. Well let me tell you sexuality is extremely diverse, even more diverse than what people often think.

Every sexuality has various counterparts both of a biological cause, an environmental cause, a hormonal cause influenced by altered brain chemistry.

so a person is :

a) either born with a sexuality

:( developed a fetish or is reprogrammed during child hood

c) fluctuates due to hormonal changes in estrogen, testosterone, and other certain imbalances and brain chemistry

d)a mixture of all the above or or several of those elements to varying degrees

All four scenarios exist throughout the world so whilst conversion therapy may work for the confused or the later acquired sexuality, it does not work for those who are born that way and feel very clear and certain about their feelings . That is why it infuriates me when people like Spitzer's claim that homosexuality can be changed whilst others claim that pedophilia can be changed, what a load of narrow minded ignorant arrogant nonsense. One size does not fit all, any person with half a mind can see how diverse this world is and how different we are in so many ways and to claim that one therapy can work for everyone is plain ludicrous.

Some people are born a pedophile whilst others acquire it due to abuse or other childhood experiences, some people are born asexual whilst others tend to fluctuate changes in body chemistry, some people are born gay whilst others are bisexual, curious, confused, or influenced by other factors. So take your conversion therapy and apply to yourself in the hope you become a more tolerant open minded member of society.

Guest ASchwartz

Endure,

You seem to be responding to some post or posts but I have no idea which ones? Therefore, its confusing to follow your logic because it seems to come out of thin air and have no root. I mean, what is your point, what are you trying to say, what is "a load of narrow minded nonsense?" See what I mean. Can you direct us?

Allan:confused:

What a load of narrow minded nonsense that some people out there can claim that sexuality is just something that can be molded and converted to custom fit society's standards. Isn't it funny how those who claim such a conversion is possible are often either heterosexual's who believe that every other sexuality besides their own ideal is changeable which is just plain arrogant, or they are confused individuals who are still uncertain about their own sexuality and apply those standards upon the rest of humanity because they are unable to see outside of their own experiences.
I've had similar thoughts over the years, especially when religious folks come forth and claim to have been converted from one sexual preference to another (usually from being gay to now having discovered their sexual truth-- being straight). And now you have some clinicians making similar assertions, which I find irresponsible and reprehensible.
I am open minded enough to accept that this therapy may work for confused individuals who are uncertain about their sexuality, but the people who claim of conversion are not willing to acknowledge that we are not all confused and some of us acquired sexuality biologically, for some of us our attraction is clear as daylight.
I've often worked with people who have what is termed "fluid sexuality," where they struggle with their sexual identity and preference for years. Usually these folks are younger and still in an exploratory stage. The issue is compounded by societal norms, which create great shame, self distancing, self denial, convoluted and distorted thinking about sexuality, and a host of other issues.
So sad that we live in a world where people can't see beyond their own narrow minded values and think one size fits all. Well let me tell you sexuality is extremely diverse, even more diverse than what people often think.
I've found that people who are least comfortable with their sexuality (extremely straight and unable to see any other way, for example) to have the most difficulty.
Every sexuality has various counterparts both of a biological cause, an environmental cause, a hormonal cause influenced by altered brain chemistry.

so a person is :

a) either born with a sexuality

:) developed a fetish or is reprogrammed during child hood

c) fluctuates due to hormonal changes in estrogen, testosterone, and other certain imbalances and brain chemistry

d)a mixture of all the above or or several of those elements to varying degrees

e) And I want to add that much of sexuality is culture bound where the person is following popular or chique ways of being sexually with others, irrespective of their biology/chemistry.
All four scenarios exist throughout the world so whilst conversion therapy may work for the confused or the later acquired sexuality, it does not work for those who are born that way and feel very clear and certain about their feelings . That is why it infuriates me when people like Spitzer's claim that homosexuality can be changed whilst others claim that pedophilia can be changed, what a load of narrow minded ignorant arrogant nonsense. One size does not fit all, any person with half a mind can see how diverse this world is and how different we are in so many ways and to claim that one therapy can work for everyone is plain ludicrous.

Some people are born a pedophile whilst others acquire it due to abuse or other childhood experiences, some people are born asexual whilst others tend to fluctuate changes in body chemistry, some people are born gay whilst others are bisexual, curious, confused, or influenced by other factors. So take your conversion therapy and apply to yourself in the hope you become a more tolerant open minded member of society.

So, Endure, what has brought this sudden need to write in about this with such strength and assertion. Did something happen or did you read something that triggered you?

David

Hi Allan and David, I was responding to the post titled "Reparative Therapy For Homosexuality: Is It Ethical? Should It Be Provided?" found here....

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=36070&cn=10

I am also responding to various claims I've seen here and there on these forums about pedophilia being curable or re-programmable and not being a sexuality.

Just because something isn't morally, socially and religiously acceptable does not mean it doesn't have a biological basis. The world and the universe is not a fair place, nature can be cruel in many ways and I can give examples if I have to but just because something isn't acceptable does not mean it has to be labeled a defect that occurred post-birth as a result of environmental or childhood factors. Many religious people wouldn't hesitate to believe that God would not choose to create something as cruel, evil and wrong as pedophile or homosexuality yet they do not hesitate to acknowledge the existence of hell, the devil, a new born animal and its mother being attacked and devoured by a lion or a child being born deaf, blind or without limbs or developing cancer and despite this harsh cruel reality they are still a part of life and nature just as every other unacceptable sexuality that exists.

I don't agree with pedophilia, I find it disgusting, it is a sexuality that has the potential to harm when it occurs in people with no self control, and it causes great suffering both for the person who posses it and those who have been abused and victimized, and for those who have this sexuality and choose not to act on it they still face great suffering, live in fear and feel outcast because of all the bullshit propaganda, but no matter how much the world hates it and despite it going against nature it is still a part of this world, it exists because nature made it exist, it doesn't have to be acceptable and we should always maintain zero tolerance on child abuse but at the same time it is unfair and ignorant to try and label all pedophilia or even homosexuality as something that was triggered during childhood, and being something that can be re-programmed without sufficient proof or a world wide study.

It is hard enough living with this without people adding more confusion to it and dismissing it as something that can be fixed or changed when it is not the case for everyone, I find it discriminating, offensive and intolerant to be labeled in that way. This is no short of propaganda and bullying the minority who are already facing challenges in life. I would give anything to be able to change my sexuality and start a new easier and socially accepted life that doesn't involve living in isolation but the fact that I know with full certainty that it is not possible in my case and then still be told that I can change is like slap in the face. I liken it to telling a person dying of aids that their suffering is unnecessary because they can be cured when in fact they can't.

That is my point. Had such claims been made with the acknowledgment that this type of conversion therapy or re-programming does not occur for everyone and that homosexuality and pedophilia have both a biological and non-biological cause then I would not have any problems in the first place but those claims are made in a very biased way without any consideration for the other side of the coin.

Excuse me if I came across as rude but I am tired of all the bullshit in life and all the pretending, propaganda, denial that occurs in this world, I live my life by striving to see the blunt harsh truth in everything, even in my own useless messed up excuse for a life, but I'm here and I'm doing my best to live my life as a caring, honest, compassionate human being and refraining from causing any harm to any other life on this earth, doing onto others as I want done to me and despite having such high morals and values I am still not likely to ever find social tolerance or acceptance in my lifetime. So I find it disturbing when I read claims that add further confusion to my case and being told that what I have isn't a sexuality and that it can be fixed when I know with full certainty that is not the case with me.

Archived