Mental Support Community

I eat way tooo much!!

hey987987

Amongst other problems I'm also an over-eater. I eat when I'm bored, or when I'm in the mood for a certain taste.

Like the other day I ordered a large pizza and cheesy bread from dominos. I ate half of the pizza for lunch, and the entire cheesy bread. I had the other half of the pizza for dinner. That was about 6pm. About 10pm I had nothing else to do so I went to the store and bought a package of 6 ice creams, 2 turtle brownies, a box of rice krispies w/ marshmallows. Well that night I ate everything but the rice krispie treats.

It's not always that bad but somedays it is. I try to eat 3 meals a day. Non sugary cereals w/ soy milk for breakfast. Something meat w/ veggies for lunch and a smaller meat portion w/veggies for dinner. Fruits for snacks on occasion.

I just have days where that part of me kicks in and I gorge whether I'm hungry or not. Usually just for something to do or just for the taste. Like this week was a killer because I was on vacation and didn't have money to go anywhere special.

It's not that I'm not active. I do love the outdoors and going to the zoo and such. But there's so much time in between.

I'm 275 lbs, 5ft 11in and 28 years old. My doctor told me about 3 years ago that I was borderline diabetic. You would think that would stop me and it did for about 2 1/2 years. I lost a lot of weight but I gained it all back and them some.

I'm going to start eating healthy and walking again tomorrow, for the rest of my life. I'm going to be posting my results here as kind of an accountability system. Hoping it works to keep me straight. There's no one close to me that likes to work out lol.

I won't be posting every day or even every week, just every once in a while with updates!!

Sorry for the long story. It's late and again I have nothing to do.

Am I sensing a pattern here? :-)

Maybe what you need, to start you towards your other goals, are more things to do. Do you have trouble keeping your mind occupied? Do mental things, like reading or drawing, keep your attention, or are you more outdoors-oriented?

My guess is that the solution to binge-eating won't be as simple as more willpower.

Guest ASchwartz

Hello Hey,

I am concerned that you will not post everyday or even every week. How can we help you if you are not here? Will you read the responses? It's self defeating to walk away from here and visit only once in a while.

Gorging food is a form of addiction. At your age and height, you are very over weight. This is a sersious health problem for you that will haunt you when you are a few years older. You are gorging in order to self medicate. Have you thought about psychotherapy and have you seen a physician and nutritionist to help you get your eating disorder under control??

Allan:(

First off I love to read as well as be outdoors. But I get distracted easily from reading lol. As for drawing, I can't draw anything but stick figures.

I tend to feel like I'm abandoning my kitty when I'm out of the house all day, so besides work I stay out for a few more hours and then come home and spend some time playing with her. I generally work from 9am - 6pm so the daylight hours are almost gone by the time I get off work.

I've actually halfway leash trained my cat, she doesn't mind having a harness on and a leash, but she's really kinda slow to be taking for a walk, that and she's not vaccinated as an outside kitty. I'm kinda leery about having more shots because the last time she got them we had a heck of an ordeal that ended up in throwing up and surgery to remove a growth under her skin.

Excuses, excuses I know lol!!

As for posting every day / week, I do read the responses I get here. I just don't wanna bug everyone by posting something everyday. I guess if it doesn't matter I could post twice a week or so.

I can't really afford psychotherapy. I joined a gym about a year ago, but I don't like working out indoors so I rarely went. I prefer to walk / bicycle outside rather than sitting indoors for hours working out.

Edited by hey987987

Hi hey987987,

Boy can I identify.... years ago, when I was in my early 30's I took an executive position and within 9 months had gained about 30-35lbs, going from 205 to 240 (also at 5'11")-- I was completely miserable. I became depressed over my clothes not fitting, my poor shape, my belly sticking out, being out of breath quickly, and just about everything seemed to center on my weight-- it became the lens thru which I viewed the world-- and it was dark and dreary. Even going out was a psychological chore, equivalent to running an emotional triathlon!

There was a recent article in the Journal or Medical Economics in which they ran a study on effective weigh loss strategies. An interesting and unexpected finding was that people would not lose weight for their health, even if it threatened their life; however, they found that money was a primary and powerful motivator, more potent than anything else almost.

How to do it:

• Find or create a partner or weight loss team like in the show The Biggest Loser.

• Make a sizable bet, anything >$100 (the larger the sum the greater the motivator) will serve as a good start
  • Weigh yourself and set a weight loss of 2.5% of your weight per month, so if you weigh 275, it would be a weight ~3lbs per month or even better, 5lbs per month.
  • Each month you meet weight, the money stays in the pot, if you fail to meet weight, you add $25 to the pot, now you're invested heavily.
  • If you fail to meet weight 50% of the time for 6 months (you weigh biweekly), you lose your money and it is divided among those who've maintained weight loss-- which can be a huge sum. It is this sum that is so powerful to "cause" the need to lose weight, especially if others are dropping out and within 6 months you stand to gain a good sum of money. This can go on for a year or 2 or until you've met your goal, at which point you can set up a maintenance goal and put money in the pot for it.

Since I'm a gearhead, I spent the money one year to buy a new set of very expensive, low profile tires to make my car look "hot":D.

This is an abbreviated and modified version of the journal's approach, but still highly effective if money is at stake. Another approach is group hypnosis where several people go in together (usually 6-12) and a tape of the hypnotic induction is made to take home. The cost is relatively low ($20-50 per session, with about 2-5 sessions max with booster sessions every few months).

Good luck hey987987, I certainly hope this helps.... many of us are or have been down this path and it's a painful one to live with daily.

By the way, it's best to post daily, some of us post >5 times per day... so never fear, we're all here for each other.

David O

Edited by David O

Hey David,

The money deal sounds like fun.

I know a few friends who could stand to lose a few pounds. Now I just have to think of a way to approach them nicely without offending them.

It would be even better if I could get the same people to go walking with me giving me some company. But they're inconsistent walkers. They only wanna walk 2 or 3 nights a week. On the bright side thats 2 or 3 nights a week I won't be walking alone :) Or I could find 2 friends that want to walk 2 or 3 nights a week and put them on different nights lol.

My husband has an injured neck and back from numerous deer-car collisions so he can't really do much exercising other than brisk walks, but he did manage to lose about 30 pounds this past year, mostly due to diet alone. In time he became accustomed to eating a lot of fish and low fat healthy foods. I think it becomes easy to snack needlessly as a means of comfort or to ease boredom. I've done this myself. Try substituting the food for a drink of water or a piece of sugarless gum. Or distract yourself with another activity. Also, don't have the stuff available. This helps a lot. When it isn't in the house, you can't eat it. When I was dieting after I'd gained too much weight while pregnant, for the first several weeks I'd crave unhealthy foods...but this phase eventually passed and the cravings stopped.

I'm a big cat-lover myself. Generally they don't mind being left alone as much as most dogs might. Does your kitty have a window to look outside? Toys? A nice place to rest? Cats usually sleep most of the day. Maybe try leaving a radio on for your kitty while you are out walking. I used to work at an animal hospital for a time as well. I would strongly recommend the vaccinations if you are taking her out on walks with you. Maybe don't have them all done at once, though. Sometimes this is too much for their systems. It's great that you have a cat to keep you company.

Off on a tangent there...

Good luck with the weight loss.

Good morning Hey,

I'm glad you think this might work, keep in mind that the secret to weight loss is not to exercise more (that's a myth).... its' to eat less. I realize this sounds counter-intuitive, but this another aspect of it where research has shown that people who exercise to lose often gain more b/c they eat more to stave off the "hunger cravings" and justify the added calories b/c they exercise. A few more things to consider:

1. Since you live alone, empty your house of all food with the exception of raw fruits and vegetables so that if you must snack or need comfort food, this will be your choice alone (and if you get desperate, there's always the cat food:eek:). Most overeating is done blindly or w/o thinking, almost automatic.

2. Carry a 3X5 card in your back pocket and every time you eat something write it down, how much you ate and the time you ate it. This self monitoring alone is powerful and has been found to be one of simplest big secrets to weight loss. Self monitoring lreads to self awareness and self awareness leads to behavior change.
  3. Remember, finally, that once you lose the weight, consider staying on the program so as not to gain it back.

With respect to point 1 above, the most basic insight and one that likely affects 75-90% of those who I see and probably many of us who write into the forum is just this (and all of its’ cold reality):

Most unwanted behavior occurs because we, in part, want it to occur and put ourselves in situations where it is hard to avoid or don’t make the complete effort to remove ourselves from the settings that trigger it . The would-be dieter has more than 1200 calories of food on hand ; the smoker trying to quit has a whole pack on him/her instead of just 5 cigarettes; the recovering alcoholic has hidden the booze in the closet in his own bedroom or in the basement in an old crate; the gambling addict whose tried to quit 15 times keeps a role of quarters or dollar bills socked away somewhere in his car;… the list is endless.

Most people struggle with this idea and so they create arguments and all sorts of private logic, mental gymnastics and cognitive/emotional distortions to not have to face it-- but it is a hard truth I've had to face and one that most of those who are or have been in therapy have also had to confront, but usually in less harsh terms.

Hopefully this will help you a bit more in your quest for losing weight.

Again, good luck and keep writing in,

David

Edited by David O