Mental Support Community

I dont know what to do about him!

ThePetPerson

My father is currently stood in the kitchen talking to someone who isnt there. This has been going on for about an hour now, he occasionally starts shouting and swearing very loudly. I am extremely worried. I would rather be anywhere but here right now. I dont know what I should do, should I leave him to it? Talking to him isnt really an option as I am too scared, he would just tell me he is fine and to go away or he would tell me what is going through his head. Help?!

Good morning Petperson,

I'm so sorry, nothing is as painful as watching your parents or children suffer (although he may not be aware that he is struggling). Some very quick questions,

• How old is he?
  • Is this the 1st time he's done this
  • Is he on any medication (what and how much)
  • Has he been diagnosed with any mental or organic condition?

My 1st thought is to take him or have him taken to the hospital ASAp, irrespective of how he might react.

I'm on the boards for about 30 more minutes, so please write back if you can,

David

Thank you for replying so quickly. He is 38. No, he has done this before but not for as long. No, none. Im pretty sure he has, he has spent months at a time in hospital but I dont know what. I am currently talking to my brother over the internet so I will ask him about the hospital

Hi again,

It seems you have little control over the situation.

Sorry I left for awhile, I have an extremely sick daughter at home and need to keep tabs on her. I have to leave again, but will be back this afternoon.

Is he a danger to himself or to others, or is it simply that he is hallucinating? Can you get a hold of his psychiatrist and see what he/she says. He may suggest an increase in med dosage, or a change in meds,, which he/she can call in and you can possibly pick up.

Sorry this is so short, but I need to take of my girl.

David

Thats OK, I understand. I know my father has attemptf suicide a few times but not in recent years. Sorry if I wasnt clear, he is not on medication, he may have been prescribed it but I do not know. I also have no way to contact his physciatrist, he does not give us their contact details. He does not think there is a problem so he does not think there is need for medication, he is required to have a physciatrist after his first 'attempt' but he doesnt give anyone their details (*He thinks* If there is not a problem then there will not be an emergency). I am sorry that your daughter is ill :(

Archived