Mental Support Community

she doesn't want help

passionfruit3

how do you help a friend whose bulimic when they don't seek help because they don't think it's a problem and even they did wouldn't because they don't want there parents to find out even though when you cut smiley faces into your wrist and are constantly purging it's clearly a problem. Just yesterday she told me that she was just done for. i hope she isn't giving up and i really need advice

Hi,

I suppose it would be good to discuss it with an adult you trust. Maybe with your teacher, she/he should know a way to cope with it. If it's possible to see on that girl that she's too slim or more slim than before, then the teacher could tell her parents that she/he noticed that something goes wrong with her.

What do you think about this possibility?

Keeping someone alive isn't a betrayal, though she might see it that way for a while. She needs help and she hasn't realized that, yet.

You have an advantage over her, when it comes to your own issues: you can see that you need help. But I'll go into that more on one of your threads that are about you. :-)

• 7 months later...

I think the first think you need to do is just listen to her and not judge her. Just be there for her. It is hard to watch and you can tell how it makes you feel etc, but no matter what just be there and tell her you love her no matter what. After a while she may let you in and then you can try to help her, but no matter what always be there and love her and never judge her. I went through this with my girlfriend and that is how I did it. Also with her it took getting her away from her worst triggers and in some cases that can really be hard.

Archived