Mental Support Community

April Fools Day

malign

You will all be pleased to know that, because I feel that mental health problems deserve only the utmost gravity, and therefore should never be discussed with any sort of humor whatsoever, I have refrained from making an April Fools Day post or otherwise referring to this barbaric custom of making people believe things that aren't true ....

Until now! :-P

April Fools!

Is that the best you have, Malign? Okay, you got me. ;)

What's the biggest way any of you have been had on April Fool's Day? Rocks in your bed? Dog food in your lunch?

Ever wonder how these things start? What's the motivation and purpose behind this silliness?

The best one for me was when my daughters, when they were kids, got my X to move my car into the visitors parking some ways away, so that when I came out of the house I thought my car had been stolen!:eek: Then when the jig was up and they had laughed enough I got to my car and they had hung dozens of cardboard fish all over inside the car, so I drove to work amongst the fish - I got a lot of stares:rolleyes: We still talk about that time and giggle :-)

I don't know who started that warped tradition, but I bet it was someone with some kind of mental issues ;-)

On a disturbing, non-April fools newsday, China announced today that individuals with doctorates were allowed only one child per family (to procreate only once), stating that: Those with doctorates would reduce the need for foreign experts." They didn't explain further-- classic Chinese legal system.

Yeah, sadly, I never did master the practical joke. Either a lack of creativity, a tendency to crack myself up, or just that nobody ever believes me; probably all three.

My brother, on the other hand, could lie with a face like a boy scout, and routinely did. On top of which, I was an extremely gullible child.

I had thought of telling everyone that I was going to learn to fly, and then start describing the extensive surgery that was planned, to give me wings and feathers. However, I was fairly certain that even with my writing skills, I couldn't have pulled it off. You might say, I'dve been plucked. :-)

David O> On a disturbing, non-April fools newsday, China announced today that individuals with doctorates were allowed only one child per family (to procreate only once), stating that: Those with doctorates would reduce the need for foreign experts." They didn't explain further-- classic Chinese legal system.
OK...OK... I confess. The Chinese never made such a statement (April fools). Interestingly, it never crossed anyone's mind here that it could be true-- just goes to show you!!!:D:D

Psych!

I LOVE april fools day!!! I tend to be a bit of a prankster as are many people I work with. We actually don't limit to those for one day a year. When I got back from Russia, my office was filled floor to ceiling with balloons.

We also had a new person on our emergency on call rotation last weekend. So.....we made a schedule of bizarre emergencies and someone called her every 10 minutes for 2 hours. It was funny because she actually had to take each call seriously until she determined if it was real or one of us hoodlums.

OK...OK... I confess. The Chinese never made such a statement (April fools). Interestingly, it never crossed anyone's mind here that it could be true-- just goes to show you!!!:):D

Psych!

David, I actually web-surfed it...:P but then I remembered what thread I was in and that a wise friend once told me you had a dry sense of humor...

Jetliner, I look for purpose and meaning in everything...even while I'm joking. :D

Jetliner, I look for purpose and meaning in everything...even while I'm joking. :)

High Five, IrmaJean! I'm just the same, I look for it in everything too! :) And, well, silliness is a serious business.

The meaning and purpose of silliness is that it has no meaning or purpose. Which is in itself is a very important meaning and purpose, because sometimes doing something totally purposeless and meaningless has such an important meaning and purpose. For example, what I am saying now is devoid of any meaning whatsoever and there is no purpose in saying it, which is why it is so vital to say it.

So now can you see just how deeply meaningful silliness is and what a profound purpose it serves? :D

--

Besides, the men in white coats find it a very useful reason to do their 'thing', the purpose of which is to stop you from engaging in meaningless purposelessness.

Archived