Mental Support Community

Social Anxiety

goose

For the first time ever, my husband and I spent the night away from the children. We stayed in a lovely Hotel in a famous beauty spot.

I am not happy with some of my avoidant behaviour. I wouldn't let my husband ask another couple to take a photo of us because I did not want to have to speak to strangers or draw attention to us.

I really wanted to go on the tour of the Historic House we visited, but said no because I thought that the group would be small and people would notice us and we would have to talk to the guide.

Obviously I did not tell my husband the real reasons, but I am disappointed in my self.

I have signed up for a group Social Anxiety course (14 weeks), was quite happy about going until the psychogist told me that they would be doing video taped role play:eek::eek::eek:

I will go on the course because I have waited a year for a place, I'm not expecting miracles but will give it a go.

Goose

But can you be happy about some of your non-avoidant behavior? :-)

It might help you, with the role-playing, to be in a group of people who are all avoidant, though. It's not going to be like you're the only different one in the midst of a theatre troupe. Probably, there will be the opportunity to discuss your discomforts with people who share them.

Actually you are right you know Malign. I did see some improvement in my non-avoidant behaviour - so I'm kind of happy with that.

The psychologist did tell me that I will be surprised when I see the group that they are all normal people, "like me".

Goose

I love role plays! They were very instrumental in getting me out of my shell, especially in a structured learning setting. You may be surprised as how well they work Goose. Consider it fun, like having a chance to play at being someone else. I always saw courses as a non-threatening environment in which to experiment, and when I failed I learned about why and what I could do differently. Good for you for pursuing that option, it may feel a little funny at first, but you do get used to it and the learning is wonderful!

Archived