Mental Support Community

I Just Have To Ask - Obsessive-Compulsive

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

After you hang out at this website for awhile and read some of the articles, I started to view people and their activities a little differently. One of the things I really began and continue to wonder is "How much of obsessive-compulsive" has to do with a person who isn't really managing the time they have in a positive way. (too much time, wasting time that could be spent on a healthy endeavor)." So few people have leisure time activities that actually engage their mind, make them think and learn new things, create something. I see so many young people on this website obsessing over so many things and I can't help but wonder if one has a life, creates a life that keeps them busy and mentally/physically engaged if all or many of those thoughts would disappear. I often watch the Dog Whisperer with Cesar Milan and if you get a chance, it is an excellent show and you will find that a lot of "dog psychology" also applies to humans. Just living behind walls and being cooped up all the time makes the dogs show their worst side - destructive behavior, anxieties, etc. I do tend to simplify, maybe over simplify things but try watching the Dog Whisperer and see if you can make the connection. I forgot to mention that with the rise of unemployment and underemployment that I am seeing much more of the obsessive-complusive behavior being used to fill the time or achievement void. These are just my regular, untrained person observations.

But if we weren't doing this we would probably be watching television, which is worse ! :eek: I see what you mean though. I find that my life has in fact become more active since I found the threads. I am starting to heal, my depression has lessened, and overall I feel much better. So I am becoming more active again, I have reconnected with friends (because I learned to become a little more social again here). Sure, I probably spend too much time here, but overall I think it has been more a positive experience for me that a negative one.

That said, I do need to get out there in the sun a little today, so catchya later :)

• 2 months later...

Gingersnap, I've been diagnosed with OCD since the age of 17 (I'd never even heard of it then) and I still struggle with it at age 55. Having OCD has nothing whatever to do with "having too much time on your hands" or "not having a life". Frankly your post is an insult to anyone suffering from OCD, which has made my life a misery. It's like telling a schizophrenic to just "turn off" those silly delusions and hallucinations and start behaving rationally and they'll be fine. OCD is a neurological disorder and I don't think Cesar Millan would consider your advice (which may work fine for dogs) appropriate for ppl with OCD. What's next--if I join his "pack", I'll be cured???

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Anguish and Ginger,

Anguish: It is really important to try and not feel insulted. I understand your objection to what Ginger said. However, wouldn't it be more helpful to explain things, which you did do, but, without the insult? I am willing to bet, knowing Ginger for a long while here, that she intended no insult. I do agree that its important to point out the error in a person's thinking and Ginger was mistaken. But how about doing it without feeling so offended?

Ginger: OCD is a very serious and crippling psychiatric disorder. It is totally unrelated to anything having to do with time and time management. People with OCD who are able to work are compelled to do their OCD at work. In fact, they do it everywhere, work, home, theater, travel, etc. I wish it was as simple as having to keep busy. Sadly, this is not the case. I hope you understand.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Allan :)

Archived