Mental Support Community

Diagnosed with depression... Last night

AmyeH

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Amy, sorry to hear this. My daughter (20) was recently diagnosed with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) and is doing very nicely on Zoloft alone (an anti-depressant). First med tried = success. (With all my failed med trials I am SOOOOOOOOO thankful.)

So after all that....! (Those good bugs should help, still, even if no virus.) I feel a little bad for perhaps having encouraged you to the physical. But at least you checked it out medically.

Well, I'm glad you've been here over this time. :rolleyes:

Edit to add: Take it one step at a time. Meds are not a once-and-for-all decision. Psychotherapy can be very powerful with or even without medication.

Hello, Amye,

Thank you for sharing your story here! I'm also very glad to see you've finally found a great psychologist who helps you! I'm sure with his help, you are going to understand yourself better soon, step by step ;) Wish you good luck!

Take care! :)

Hi, Amy,

I'd never heard about Clonazepam before, but now I've read about it in Wikipedia. Well, I'm not competent to comment the med, so I will not. (By the way, I take mirtazapine for my anxiety and I'm absolutely satisfied by this med, I don't even feel any side-effects anymore, except for a bigger apetite - I was thinking this could be the right med for you :), but... I repeat; I'm not competent to say such things!)

But I'd like to say something about meds regulating the psyche in general: People often fear and avoid them and it's such a pity. They can have side effects and sometimes it's very hard to find the right one, but... when you/your doc succeed, then it's wonderful; many problems can really disappear!

I wish you good luck :) and... don't give it up if Clonazepam doesn't work for you. There are many different possibilities and even though it's hard to change meds "every now and then", it's usually better that avoid every meds.

Hi Lala,

Thanks for asking, I hope you are well.

I don't want to be too negative, but things are not working out as of yet. (Main problems are that I still can't eat until the afternoon, and even then, I have no desire to do it and it's been over 4 weeks already like this, not good.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi AmyeH,

More important than drugs for anxiety and depression is Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy (CBT). In addition, it would help you to learn stress reducing techniques such as: meditation, deep muscle relaxation and deep breathing, exercise and especially cardio workouts.

We have a self help section here where these are explained. Also, there are ,many books in the library or in the book stores that explain these things.

These are not instead of drugs but help the drugs work better until you no longer need medication because you have learned to handle it yourself.

Allan :(

Guest ASchwartz

AmyeH,

Using medication is not a bad thing. All of us like to think that we are able to be in control but its not true. At one time or another most people need medications and some for a long time.

Please give the relaxation, etc. techniques time. They do not suddenly work and make you feel better. Its cumulative and little by little.

Allan:)

Yes, therapy is so "eyes-opening"; you become much more aware of yourself, realize things you denied without knowing it... It's nice to see that you succeed! :D

I can give you an example of mine: I don't know my father (my mum has never get married) and never asked about him (when I was a little child, my mum told me "there is no father at all; some kids have two parents, some only one" and I was fine about it - I never, never missed him!). And I was almost angry when my therapist became so much interested in my "father issue"! He asked me a lot about it and I used to say it was a total waste of time, I never had any problem related to my "paternal deprivation" (as it is called) and so on! But then, slowly, I realized that sooo many problems in my life are associated to this issue! This was one of my important "discoveries" during therapy :o

P.S.: Oh; this is my 300th post on this site! Wow! :D

I don't want to have this for this for the rest of my life and be on medication and have all these issues etc. That scares me. I still really see myself as a pretty normal person.

From my point of view and as far as I know something about meds and therapy, you seem to me very... how to say it? ... "promissing"? - I mean that I see your perspective very positively :o. I don't say that "your problem is an easy fix" - not at all. But you have the courage, a good psychologist (hopefully you'll get a good med finally!!) and an open mind - open to big changes. That's important! Hold on it! :D

Archived