Mental Support Community

Diagnosed with depression... Last night

AmyeH

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Israel! I didn't know I know somebody from Israel! :rolleyes:

(Well, I know a guy who worked in our lab who has lived there since... I don't remeber, maybe 2004. He works at the famous Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot.)

I volunteered on Kibbutz Massada (near Tiberias) for a year just after high school. It was a good year and we worked hard! The garin there were great fun. I learned to sing Hatikvah and to say many things, including 'ani lo jordat' ('I don't know', which I generally didn't as my Hebrew was rather basic) . :(

There is an AD called Wellbutrin, that increases dopamine and noradrenaline and only weakly, serotonin. It is not an SSRI, it is an NDRI (noradrenaline-dopamine reuptake inhibitor). May be an option. I'm on that one (SSRIs make me emotionally numb).

Hi Luna,

Thanks for the information, sounds good.

I was wondering if there would be anything else for me to try which is still a good viable option, but this sounds good.

How was if for you when you first started? Did you have side effects and how long did it take to start to work?

Thanks for the info :)

Hi, Amy,

Good news! :D I'm sure it's a good idea to go to recuperate to your dad!

And I think it's better for you when people t your work know about your problems. Because now you don't have to face the unpleasant questions and comments anymore. And they can be more supportive when they know... And also they don't have to worry so much, as they know you don't ignore your problems but are working on getting better.

I hope you'll stay on-line also in England! :o

Good news is the medication has been OK so far. Had 5 days at 37.5mg and 2 at 75mg and no side effects.... So looks like that should be all good.

Wow, you are lucky with this one. I am on Efexor; I go on and off it, depending on mood cycles. My new pdoc wants me off, so I'm tapering down slowly. I get horrible SEs whenever I start and stop - bad headaches, nausea and dizziness and basically spend the first two-three days in bed. Then after that it's fine. Glad you found one - good luck. :)

Yeah, I've been really surprised myself to be honest. Coming from trying the SSRI's and ending up in hospital and feeling awful lol, to this. I've been on the Effexor for 9 days and the last 4 days at 75mg and hardly any side effects... Was just a bit nauseous for the first few days in the evenings and still getting weird 'wired' eyes where I find myself hardly blinking and dilated pupils. But that's the worst of it pretty much!

Did you have side effects when starting it also, or just when you've tried to come off of it?

Both starting and stopping. Not good. It was stopped abruptly when it switched me into a manic episode. :D (It can do that to bipolars.)

I'm on 75mg now (down from 150mg) with other drugs added to balance it. I may have to go off entirely, but it has worked marvellously for my depressions.

Guest ASchwartz

AmyeH,

There are a couple of ways to find a psychologist: Ask your MD, look them up in PsychologyToday magazine online. They have a list by city, state, etc with their qualifications and backgroud. Call the American Psychological Association chapter in your state and ask for a list. Ask friends and aquaintences. Make sure you tell any psychologist what you are looking for: CBT.

Good Luck

Allan:)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi AmyeH,

I am not a psychiatrist but I know a tiny bit as a result of my work as a psychotherapist. 75 mg of Effexor is, I believe, a sub therapeutic level. I wonder why your psychiatrist hasn't put you on more?

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived