Mental Support Community

What Do You Do For Fun?

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

What do you do for fun? Not to relax but "fun". Do people still have "fun"? Is that some missing element to happiness? I think it is. Years ago we had almost endless fun - the kids, the pets, camping, vacationing, day trips, etc. I want it back. I'm getting it back! I am starting right now. Cathy:)

working with my horse.... playing piano or whatever instrument is closest. doing stuff with friends. painting, writing, working in my garden, getting into mischief :) practical jokes, sports....watching an playing.... traveling... wow.....too many things to name!!!

I used to have a very hard time with the question of "fun". Maybe because I was depressed. Maybe my difficulties understanding fun made me seem even more depressed than I was.

I used to equate "fun" with excitement, so roller coasters did the trick, but only for a few seconds. I have always had too much respect for cars to have done much driving for the sake of excitement, even though I owned a convertible, once.

I have had lots of leisure activities, over the years, including ten-pin bowling and playing the Asian game called 'go'. But those seemed more like passing the time, or relaxation, than having "fun".

What I'm finding, recently, is that "fun" is in me, rather than the activity. If I let myself loose, almost anything works. And it's not nearly as scary as I used to think it would be.

i cant remember the last time i had fun i dont think i ever have, i feel lifes to short to have fun and take everything serious, and as far as i can remember as a kid even being like 2 years old i think i use to think, feel, & say i was too old for that and i grew up living by that and so yeah i dont even know how old i am 99.9% the time cuz ive never celebrated my birthday really cuz that was for babies and yeah here i am 25 today and cant think of one fun thing i done in life......yea i use get on here alot awhile back n got feelin a little better n got control over myself more n well here i am back.

Guest GingerSnap

I really like malign's answer as it is very much along the lines of my fun - it is in me. I can see the fun in a lot of things, maybe like Mary Poppins sort of thing. Wasn't it make the task a game or something like that. I have fun being silly, being myself which is sort of really out there. I like to sing songs from elementary school music class, dance with the dog, or make my hair into "happy" hair to make my son laugh, well, since he is older he mostly shakes his head at me with a grin. I like to put silly barrettes in my hair and watch people's reaction as they crack a smile. It's fun to do the "twist" - I can't resist even if I hear the song in Wal-Mart, yeah that was me dancing in the frozen food aisle (and me in pain the next day since it don't twist so well anymore!). I keep it light unless someone rattles my cage with what I consider unnecessary. If you are spending your life trying to be like someone else instead of being who you are, I can't see that you will experience any fun or joy and as I just told my husband - "Because you have spent your life trying to be someone you were not, "you" don't exist." Drop your guard and have fun as it is good for your mental health and your physical - well, actually it is totally necessary!

Archived