Mental Support Community

Argh. I don't know what I see a psychiatrist for. Do you?

Guest SomethingOrOther

Guest ASchwartz

Somethingorother,

You should really speak to your psychiatrist if your anti depressants are not working as well as they should. It might be that you need a higher dose, a different med or have another med added to it.

Why is it you do not believe in psychotherapy? Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is very specific and targeted.

Allan:)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I would also like to know what you have against/ what your feelings are about psychotherapy (remembering that there are many different kinds). I found your comments re my psychotherapy (transference) so well thought out so I dont quite get the

I'd need to have thoughts. Where'd I get those from?
bit?

On the contrary I think you "think" very profoundly - so what is not adding up her? (or perhaps I have come in at the tail end....)

X

Guest ASchwartz

Somethingorother,

There is NEVER a bad time for psychotherapy, especially when working on a thesis. That is my experience and my opinion.

I am very unclear what type of medication you are taking??

Allan

Guest ASchwartz

Somethingorother,

But you are right: others do not know what is best for you. Also, you are the expert on you. Its just that sometimes other people have a more objective view than we have on ourselves. Look, all of us, including me, have been there.

What good would therapy do? First of all, it would do not good unless you want to go. No one can make you want it. Second, if you go, its a good way to reduce depression, anger, anxiety and it feels good to have a real ally in life, an ally who can be more objective than family, friends or self.

OK, I won't go any further. I have no wish to make you angry or to be perceived as forcing you. Just know that I and others are on your side and wish you the very best.

My experience of "waiting for a good time" is that there is never one and while the excuse may be a thesis today, there will be another reason tomorrow because it has more to do with the will than the way. I certainly wouldn't pretend to know what was best for you - as you so rightly say - only you do.

I can only say that I was in therapy whilst studying and writing my bar exam and if anything, the support and clarity during that period was invaluable.

Good luck with the thesis.

X

For somebody who does not want to be judged, you do a fine job of judging others. I was not trying to comment on you or your circumstances, only on the subject matter introduced by others (and yourself), that of therapy.

You couldn’t spot my side if I put a big red sign up.
- this applies both ways so please do not judge me.

I certainly have no "magazine" views of therapy. As a direct result of my therapist's indiscretions, I ended up slashing my wrists, overdosing and more traumatised than I have ever been in my life. I was sexually abused (raped repeatedly) as a child and was abused again in therapy. I have no idealistic outlook on the subject matter, trust me. However I am able to separate my views of an incompetent individual from that of the profession itself, given that I have had other good experiences of therapy.

I certainly did not set out to antagonise you or in anyway cast judgements on your "big red sign". I only wished to add what I thought would be positive encouragement to similar sentiments expressed by others. I think I'll leave you to your thread - I have no wish to be insulted any further.

I can not obsess about a therapist and focus on the thesis at the same time

I want you to know I agree with this :-)

hope that it lessens the isolation that goes with sitting at home all day and that people might actually be interested in what I’m writing about myself

I understand... and that's why I feel sorry that I stoped posting here :o. I hope others (as Malign, for example - he posted in this thread several times and it has always been so nice) will "chat" here with you as I did and more interestingly...

But I have to tell you the reason why "everybody wants to discuss therapy" here with you: It's because we all feel in your posts, and you obviously don't realize it, that there is "a silent voice" in you that always somehow recalls this topic. It seems obvious to me in many of your posts and from the reactions of others, it seems they feel it too. And it is, even though not purposely, very provocative. It provokes us to relate to this "silent voice" and try to encourage it. That's all. But I'm sure now we all see that it's not a good idea. Mainly: Finishing your thesis is really the most important task now. And I see you'll do it! :) And I'm so glad!

By the way, I don't know the writer you've mentioned. Thanks for the tip! And Dirk Gently (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently's_Holistic_Detective_Agency and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Dark_Tea-Time_of_the_Soul) - you might like, too, as you liked The Hitchhiker`s guide to galaxy. There is, for example, a nice parody of English universities...

Good luck! (And now; back to my "break"! :()

P.S. to Chisholm: I'm very sorry you felt this way in this theread :(... But I don't want to meddle in this "conflict".

Guest ASchwartz

Somethingorother,

Here is what part of what you wrote in response to me:

So, sorry, but starting therapy, cause I might find that it helps at some point, is not more important than getting the thesis done in two months.

I do not understand why you felt the need to say, "sorry but..." You are not disappointing me and, like I said, I agree that you are the expert on you and not any of us.

I could be wrong but I sense that you are coming across to us as angry. If so, why? We are not attempting to tell you that you are wrong. Also, you have made it clear that therapy is out. Well, OK. Why dwell on that issue.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, Something, I'm sorry you feel so bad right now:(. I had to write a Master's thesis, not a doctoral one, and that was bad enough!!!:eek:. It is impossible to lead a balanced life. You aren't supposed to have one at all while you are doing that, it seems:rolleyes:. Does it help to commiserate with others in your circumstance? It will be over with at some point. And you will have a degree to show for your efforts. I wish you well today!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry you hurt:(:(

I know a wise person who said that understanding is a very small affair really.... what we need to do is navigate...

That may not be any comfort without more context. To me it draws me out of the thought universe that lines understandings up neatly that may or may not be relevant, and into the art of steering through this coursing flow right here right now.

Hope you can do somethingorother nice for you today...:( If talking would help, we are here and listening!

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Somethingorother,

I really believe that we have all become "too therapized." What I mean is that we think too much. For example, you made a decision not to go to a party because of drinking, driving and feeling too tired the next day. OKay, Then you worry whether you made the right decision or not. It was the right decision. Why? Because it was your decision. Simple as that.

Also, please keep in mind what I have said before: Going for a PHD and writing a dissertation are exhausting, frustrating and masochistic exercises. I know. I want through it. To tell the truth, life does get put on hold during that process and the process can be very depressing.

Cut yourself some slack.

What do you think?

Hey Something

I know we didn't see eye to eye on therapy but I just wanted to say I am rooting for you as well! You have a wonderful mind - I know you will conquer the PhD eventually and come bursting out the other side of that tunnel. Sometimes the light just disappears altogether doesn't it?

Here's something I learnt on this forum - how to ((((hug)))) techno style (never seen that until I came here!).

Hang in there.

X Chisholm

Archived