Mental Support Community

Pets as therapy

Calla

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts. I am thinking of getting a dog or a cat as I truly believe this would be a help to me. It would be slightly unpractical as I live in a flat. But I think the distraction of caring for something else and going out for walks would be so beneficial. Does that sound stupid? :)

It sounds like a wonderful idea, Calla. You might want to consider a very small dog or a kitty. Would there be space for the dog to go on walks with you? Animals can be very therapeutic. There are non-judgmental and always accepting. I can remember as a young girl if I was feeling lonely or sad my cats were always there for me. I had one who would lie right on me and purr and purr. I've always felt very connected with animals. I also think it would be great for you to take care of a small pet. Pets need us and caring for them helps us to feel needed and effective. And they provide unconditional love. As long as you feel committed to providing care to your pet, I think it would be great for you, Calla. :)

I think it would be a great idea Calla. Having a constant companion; one that you have to take care of, and that would give you unconditional love, as IrmaJean said would be wonderful. :)

I too wish I could have a pet; ( I love cats). Unfortunately I live in a flat too, and share my bedroom so I don't have anywhere that I could keep one, it wouldn't be fair to the cat. :)

Let us know what you decide on doing. :)

I too thnk it would be a great idea!! My pets ARE my therapy. I have 2 cats, a dog and a horse. Everyday when I get home my cat comes pouncing over and jumps in my arms an purrs with the dog close behind wagging his tail. How can you be in a bad mood after that :)

I also, within the past year, got certified to do Equine assisted psychotherapy. I haven't practiced it much but I do pay attention to others who interact with my horse and I can see why it works so well. That can be extended to other animals too. The are empathic and unassuming. They love you just because. My cats snuggle with me whether I'm having a good day or a bad one. It's all so magical. :)

I have a yorkie and a shih tzu. These two little dogs have brought great comfort and joy to my life. They are so sweet and special , I feel lucky to have them as a part of my life . Their is nothing like a little dog or cat jumping in your lap for pure uncondional attention and love.

Oh I'm so pleased people have said that!! I worried everyone would say no!! I have lots of places I can go for long walks...or short walks if it's a little dog with little legs!! I feel it would give me more purpose and take the focus of worrying about myself. I have been researching dogs suitable for flats and found Pom A Poos!! Oh they are gorgeous....I've changed my signature just to show one!!

I feel more happy everytime I look at the pic!! Thats silly isn't it!!??

Edited by Calla
I feel a rush of love for this dog haha!

Guest GingerSnap

Calla: The only thing I will add is that please do research about the breed you are interested in. A dog can be a blessing if it is a fit and if it is not, it can be your worst nightmare. They have 2 or 3 little questionnaire things on the internet to help you sort out what breeds might best fit your lifestyle and a wealth of other information. Things like housebreaking and barking:eek: - some breeds are better than others and these are the make or break issues for a lot of people as a dog that is slow to housebreak is no deal at my house and many breeds suffer separation anxiety when you are away and bark and/or chew things while you are gone. Also, think crate training to save the sanity of you and your dog. Have you heard of Cesar Milan - The Dog Whisperer - it plays on National Geographic Channel and is worth a look. A dog is a good idea. We have one dog and just added a guinea pig, Sparky to the mix - a guinea pig is really a great choice and is often chosen by college kids and I even take her for a walk but I do all the walking in that case - she is not like a rat or hamster which I really don't care for:eek: and I don't think of her as the rodent that she is classed as and she is also much smarter than a lot of people I know.:) When and copied this link - they have both a questionnaire on choosing a dog or cat: http://www.iams.com/iams/breed-information.jsp and there are some other sites that have these but doing a walk through one lets you get an idea of what kinds of things to consider.

Edited by GingerSnap
Adding link for questionnaire

Hi Calla I love the pic of the doggie. Yes a dog is a good friend and always ready to love you no matter what. it is a good idea to check which breed would suit you. I have a mongrel but would not change her for anything in the world. She is also good with children and I have 3 grandsons ages from 3 - 5. I also had a canary, but he passed away (old age).

luv Snoeps

Isn't he the cutest!!

Thank you Gingersnap. I did the questionaire....there are a few little dogs which might be suitable. When I first saw housebreaking I thought that I might get a dog that robs from other people!! Shows I need to learn a bit more about dogs!! haha :(

I can't get the national geo channel but I will see what I can find on the net. As Rosebud said shelters might be a good place. Because I do a bit of volunteer dog walking sometimes at a shelter and they sometimes have tiny ones. But they also do a kind of "trial period" and house checks. So they can say if they thing a flat would be suitable and if it's a disaster they take the dog back and no blame is placed! Alhthough I also recognise you have to be a bit careful with rescue dogs. not sure you can be savaged by a chihuahua though!!

Maybe a shar pei as it may sympathise about my wrinkle phobia!? And I love the idea of walking a guinea pig! What do you call a furry animal that can't stop smiling? A grinny pig!! (sorry couldn't help myself!)

Guest GingerSnap

Calla: Here is a link for Cesar on the National Geographic Channel: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer All the older people enjoy petting our dog when she is out for walks and the kids too - takes too long to go for a walk anymore - the last dog wanted to eat everyone so the walks were brisk and no one got in our way (that was better really). If you are going to get the dog to bring out your socialite - get a younger dog and have everyone you see pet her so that she is used to people, really used to them and doesn't want to eat them.:( Rinnie is expressing a deep desire to mix it up with the guinea pig, Sparky - 60 lbs against about 1/2 pound or less? Keeping a close eye on the situation.:eek:

Edited by GingerSnap

You will have so much fun with a little dog. They are wonderful . Getting a young dog is the best , but can be some work with the potty training , and teaching her a few commands. Like people , dogs have their own temperment. So you will want to find one that best fits your personality.

Calla:

Stroking the fur of a dog or cat has been shown to reduce the heart rate and lower the blood pressure in rest/retirement home residents

From personal experience I can tell you that there will be times when you are tired or sick and do NOT want to get up and take care of your pet...but you will, because you know they NEED you.

Also, I have learned more about psychology from working with dogs and especially puppies (ex- dog trainer) than from all my college classes

However, if you were raised in an abusive environment there is a danger you will also abuse your pet...it almost never fails, especially if you are not a knowlegeable owner...People who were raised strict believe in the "pack-dominance" school and those who were spoiled/neglected believe in the "positive re-inforcement" theory.

For the record, both methods have their pluses and minuses. If you really want to learn about dog behaviour go to www.dog.com and select forum.

Recommended reading:

"Natural Dog Training" by Kevin Behan

"Schutzhund!" by Susan Barwig

Parenthetically I learned how NOT to train dogs by projecting my abusive childhood onto my dogs (pack-dominance) Subsequently I have learned that 90% of dog behaviour is the result of the dogs early experiences...5 weeks to 16 weeks. this is called the imprint/socialization period and is absolutely critical to the dogs normal development...much more so than any particular training method later on.

So by all means get a dog...but first, check out the ongoing debate over training methods on the forum at dog.com

Good luck!:)

Calla: Here is a link for Cesar on the National Geographic Channel: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dog-whisperer All the older people enjoy petting our dog when she is out for walks and the kids too - takes too long to go for a walk anymore - the last dog wanted to eat everyone so the walks were brisk and no one got in our way (that was better really). If you are going to get the dog to bring out your socialite - get a younger dog and have everyone you see pet her so that she is used to people, really used to them and doesn't want to eat them.:D Rinnie is expressing a deep desire to mix it up with the guinea pig, Sparky - 60 lbs against about 1/2 pound or less? Keeping a close eye on the situation.

Oh my! Maybe they can savage then!! Thats a classic situation of the coward becoming the bully I'd say! Get in first before the bigger dogs eat him!! I shouldn't laugh but it was quite funny, bless him!!

You will have so much fun with a little dog. They are wonderful . Getting a young dog is the best , but can be some work with the potty training , and teaching her a few commands. Like people , dogs have their own temperment. So you will want to find one that best fits your personality.

I'm thinkin maybe the dog from Gingersnaps post suits my personality!! We'd get on great as we share a similar temperment!! B) It is the house training that worries me most. Not the mess I can cope with that , just the whole process but I need to read up more. I helped with my parents dogs so I have a bit of an idea.

Calla:

Stroking the fur of a dog or cat has been shown to reduce the heart rate and lower the blood pressure in rest/retirement home residents

From personal experience I can tell you that there will be times when you are tired or sick and do NOT want to get up and take care of your pet...but you will, because you know they NEED you.

Also, I have learned more about psychology from working with dogs and especially puppies (ex- dog trainer) than from all my college classes

However, if you were raised in an abusive environment there is a danger you will also abuse your pet...it almost never fails, especially if you are not a knowlegeable owner...People who were raised strict believe in the "pack-dominance" school and those who were spoiled/neglected believe in the "positive re-inforcement" theory.

For the record, both methods have their pluses and minuses. If you really want to learn about dog behaviour go to www.dog.com and select forum.

Recommended reading:

"Natural Dog Training" by Kevin Behan

"Schutzhund!" by Susan Barwig

Parenthetically I learned how NOT to train dogs by projecting my abusive childhood onto my dogs (pack-dominance) Subsequently I have learned that 90% of dog behaviour is the result of the dogs early experiences...5 weeks to 16 weeks. this is called the imprint/socialization period and is absolutely critical to the dogs normal development...much more so than any particular training method later on.

So by all means get a dog...but first, check out the ongoing debate over training methods on the forum at dog.com

Good luck!

I've had days where I feel so bad but I know my fish need cleaning and I force myself to do it....even though a simple task is a struggle. But as you say something needs you to do something so you have to do it.

As I said I've done a bit of dog training with my parents dogs...just the usual stuff. But I will read up more. I would LOVE a sheep dog which you can train to quite a high standard, I would really enjoy that. But obviously that isn't a dog for a flat!!

I would never abuse an animal. When I was reading about some of the dogs in local shelters I was crying my eyes out!! :o

Animal abuse stories really upset me. I don't how people can do those things.

I will definitely take a look at the site.

Thanks guys,

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if you have read my articles on this site about my use of therapy dogs. I used them in my private practice and had great success with patients. Read the story of "Juli and I" on this site.

It is important that care be taken in selecting a puppy. Its the puppies who are social and come to you and want to be held that will make the best pets and support pets. Certain breeds are better than others. Labradors and Golden retrievers are among the best of the larger dogs. There are great small dogs that are bred for temperament that are also good.

Don't forget a cat. If you are not allergic, cats are great to hold and pet.

It is my opinion that a cat or dog makes the best companion pet and support pet for those times when you need a friend (Everyday). :D

Allan

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if you have read my articles on this site about my use of therapy dogs. I used them in my private practice and had great success with patients. Read the story of "Juli and I" on this site.

It is important that care be taken in selecting a puppy. Its the puppies who are social and come to you and want to be held that will make the best pets and support pets. Certain breeds are better than others. Labradors and Golden retrievers are among the best of the larger dogs. There are great small dogs that are bred for temperament that are also good.

Don't forget a cat. If you are not allergic, cats are great to hold and pet.

It is my opinion that a cat or dog makes the best companion pet and support pet for those times when you need a friend (Everyday). :)

Allan

Tech-moron that I am, it took a while to find the story of Juli and Lili, but it was well worth the search and I just want to advance a theory (cause thats what I do) on why service dogs have such a seemingly miraculus effect of people....acceptance....

I think emotionally damaged people have...for various reasons perhaps... either never felt accepted or in fact never WERE accepted so are left unable to trust and/or accept others in turn.

Others pick up on our insecurity, suspician, neediness, etc and sub-consciously shy away from us much as a dog will shy away from the fresh carcus of a strange dog or a pedestrian will avoid a homeless person on the street who is uttering sensless babble. (I call it the Wounded Chicken Syndrome, but feel free to change the name to fit the situation)...A chicken who is say, bleeding will be pecked to death by the others...

dogs on the other hand, having a different, and I believe more natural value system know nothing of human deceptivness and/or they see through it, and once the dog bonds to you, nothing but death can break that bond. the dog ACCEPTS you as you, warts and all

Our pets "love" us as a good parent would...

unconditionally

Lets put it this way, when I finally got the courage to leave my wife of 12 years I cried. But when my dog died some years later I bawled my eyes out!

but then, I never FELT accepted by my wife.

The most a have ever cried is over the death of our dog when I was 20, we had him since i was 5 and he was as much a member of my family as anyone else!

The stories that always make me cry are about dolphins (not good as pets though especially in a flat) But you read about them, eg when I man was thrown overboard and the dolphins surrounded him in shark infested waters etc. how much is exaggarated for dramatic effect is another matter but it is truly amazing. There was a story of a whale recently who saved a woman diver. I hope they are true because I just think it's wonderful. Beautiful animals and apparently very healing too.

So long and thanks for all the fish haha! :)

The most a have ever cried is over the death of our dog when I was 20, we had him since i was 5 and he was as much a member of my family as anyone else!

The stories that always make me cry are about dolphins (not good as pets though especially in a flat) But you read about them, eg when I man was thrown overboard and the dolphins surrounded him in shark infested waters etc. how much is exaggarated for dramatic effect is another matter but it is truly amazing. There was a story of a whale recently who saved a woman diver. I hope they are true because I just think it's wonderful. Beautiful animals and apparently very healing too.

So long and thanks for all the fish haha! :)

This may be a bit off topic, but you may be gratified to learn about the article in "science daily" It seems that experimenters in Uganda have proven inter-species altruism with chimps (untrained chimps helped people who appeared to be struggling to reach a stick) Yahoo: interspecies altruism.

Your welcome. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Rats (if you like them) are great pets.. I've had so many..they are very very social creatures, so it's best to get a pair..I do have to say you are much better off buying them from a breeder rather than a pet store, I get mine from the Mainely Rat Rescue..(my parents foster rats for them, I will someday when I'm in a place that allows caged animals (btw they need big cages, you will want to do alot of research before getting ratties)..I love them they are so awesome..one of mine comes when you say her name!!

The last 5 rats I owned had to be put down because of cancer. Other than the high rate of cancer I agree they are terriffic pets. Every1 I have had would fetch little balls of paper, sit pretty and come when their name was called. They are so smart and at least in my experience I've never been bit by a rat and considering I've had them as pets off and on since I was 5 that's saying something. However, because I seem to be having bad luck with them no matter where I buy them from my next pet will be a ferret. i already checked with the apartment owner and they are an accepted pet. They are great animals a little stubborn when it comes to litter training but so sweet and loving. They also are very social so I may get two I'll see.

Guest ASchwartz

Pets are wonderful, including rats, if that is what you like. In the picture of me, I am with my dog, Mingo, who has since died. She was my "co therapist" in the office when I was still in practice. She died in my arms and I was inconsolable for days. I wept and wept.

However, I have wonderful memories of her and I have other dogs who we love. In fact, Mr.Blue was born in my house and is one of my best friends. He is three years old and just wonderful. If I am upset he senses it and comes to me. I pet him and feel better.

Allan:)

• 9 years later...