Mental Support Community

Worried about mom

Flipside

My mom has Bi-Polar. I am 30 yrs old now and think back to when I was growing up and how she used to scream and break things and manipulate people to get her way. I don't even wanna talk about it. But even now she still hurts me. I love who she is on the inside and I've only learned recently that she has an illness and it's not really her that says or does the mean things but it still hurts. Her emotions are not normal. She gets jealous, no matter how much attention I give my mom or even if we have a wonderful day together she still gets weird or angry or jealous if I spend time with my grandma. It scares me because I do love my grandma and she lives there with my mom and my mom seems capable of , well, I don't even want to think about it. I'm not sure what she's capable of, but I know her emotions are not normal and it's really scary. Nothing helps her, it's the most painful and frustrating situation to be in. If I try to talk about it with someone it just sounds like I'm saying awful things about my mother. I'm broken and worried all of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to reply to this because you had none, and I feel like this is a place where you need one, or else you wouldn't be here. I understand how you feel, because knowing what I do now about bipolar disorder and looking back, I realize I can't blame my mom for the things that she was and is. I'm sorry you're so worried and I know how it feels to be broken, but I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and I wanted you to know that somebody cared. Hang in there flipside.

Hi Flipside-

Do you live with your mother currently, or are you somewhere else?

It sounds like she has a long standing behavior pattern of not treating you the way you would like her to. I assume also that this behavior will not change, despite your worry and concern. So, the best you can do is to change how you react to and think about her.

Could we have some more details about this relationship?

• 2 months later...

Please listen to your feelings about your mother possibly hurting your grandmother. This happened to me and it is awful to take an elderly lady to the ER. The guilt for not being able to get her out of there is still there. There are social services or can grandmother stay with someone else in the family? What does she say?

Brooks 21