Mental Support Community

Need Help

I have been seeing a therapist for about 6 months. She has been very helpful and we have developed a great therapeutic relationship. I know a little about her personal life, including her marital status, children's names and ages, and what town she lives in. She has also told me some personal details here and there which were beneficial to my therapy. Nothing major. I recently ran into her on her street when I was visiting a friend in her neighborhood. She pointed out her house and told me to stop by any time I'm in the neighborhood. Was this unprofessional and crossing boundaries on her part? Does she really want me to stop by or was she being friendly in some way? I don't really know what to think of this. I know I should ask her about it, which I will later this week at my appointment, but I want to know others opinions on this.

Please help

Guest SomethingOrOther

I agree that you should ask her how that invitation was meant, because the answer will probably tell you more clearly whether she knows her boundaries or not.

You don't on the other hand have to ask her how you should feel about this, you can "inform" her that it caused you some confusion and discomfort and I for one think that is a pretty normal reaction.

Archived