Mental Support Community

CBT for C-PTSD

Hi malign,

You showed me that I had some positive in my negativity! Wow, some progress at last! I guess for now it will be 2 steps forward, one step backwards, but at least I'm moving forward, ever so slowly! Guess I gotta look at the assignment differently--something to help me be more aware of my thoughts and not as a chore that stresses me out! And, once again, thanks for making me laugh (towel reference). Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks tmays,

So far, victories-0, bad thoughts-a zillion? Sorry, I'm starting to get into one of my funky moods again and am trying to suppress it. I think I have to get back to the Lounge and read all those jokes and one-liners then listen to my sleep tape which usually helps if I concentrate really hard. Thanks again for your positivity (is that a word?). Take care...

I don't know if it is a word or not but not should be:p

Sometimes you have to keep banging on the door to get it to fall down. Ask your T to help you come up with them. Your T just said keep trying? That's bunk. You are paying them and they need to help jumpstart you!

Hi tmays,

Actually my T said a lot more than that but the gist was to keep at it. He did give me examples but I guess I'm stubborn; if it doesn't fit me, I dismiss it! I give my T a lot of credit for not giving up on me. Sometimes I think he wants to pull his hair out because I'm so resistantly (another made-up word?) negative. Anyways, my last session w/ my T was a lot better and I actually am feeling a lot more positive now and have been since that session this past Monday--so he must be doing something right! Thanks for caring tho', and take care...:o

• 3 weeks later...

I hope so, Cynthia. I really need a big dose of progress, anything positive. My problem is with believing in and accepting complements others give me. I have to learn to believe in myself, I guess. I'm trying to change my perspective of things and one day, maybe, I will be successful! Thank you! :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Karai it sounds like you are making strides (as well as more new words lol). Try and be patient with yourself and keep learning to catch the thinking errors you make and counter and correct them. Not being able to accept a compliment is the thinking error ignoring the positive I think. Keep in touch.

Hi tmays,

Good hearing from you again. How have you been? :cool:

I do think I have been making some progress, but then bad stuff happen and I go right back to reacting the way I've always reacted, until I catch myself. Catching myself is progress in itself, right?! Sometimes I don't know what the trigger was, but I am learning to catch the pathological critic who never seems to go away. He sits on my shoulder and always has something to say (p.c.'s name is Chip!). Just kidding, there are actually 4 citics I kind of recognize: my sister, my 4th grade teacher, the bully from kindergarten and myself. Maybe there's more, but these are the 4 culprits who are very verbal and haunt me daily, probably even while I sleep! Oh well, at least I know who they are and can call them by name, except for that kindergarten kid, forgot his. And, at least I'm never alone; you know what they say--misery loves company---aaah, drinking buddies! :) I have been able to catch a lot of my negativity but the difficulty is in what to do w/ them (I think I'll put them in a box, wrap it up and give it to my boss!). One phrase my T has given me is to repeat to myself, even if I don't believe it: "I am a good person". "I am a good person." "I am a good person." Nope, think I have to say it a couple hundred more times! :eek:

Compliments are a whole other story. Still don't feel comfortable receiving them.

Thanks tmays. Take care...:D

Edited by karai

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Cynthia,

I'm trying but I think it's going to take a lot more than just jumping over the fence to get to the greener pastures in my mind. I have to practice thinking glass is half full, glass is half full, half full half full yes I'm a fool.....oh, oh, critic crept in there and don't know who that prankster was! Hey, give me back my glass half full of beer! see thinking positive already! :( Take care!

Kara, someone in high school taught me the full proverb that starts:

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill (or fence)."

The rest is:

"But someone's still got to mow it."

So, okay, that may not sound so positive. But look at it this way: that means that this field right here is just as good as any other (it's already [at least] half-full), so we might as well just get to mowing. That way, there'll be more time for having that picnic, afterwards.

Kara, someone in high school taught me the full proverb that starts:

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill (or fence)."

The rest is:

"But someone's still got to mow it."

So, okay, that may not sound so positive. But look at it this way: that means that this field right here is just as good as any other (it's already [at least] half-full), so we might as well just get to mowing. That way, there'll be more time for having that picnic, afterwards.

This is great;)

Thanks Cynthia,

I'm trying but I think it's going to take a lot more than just jumping over the fence to get to the greener pastures in my mind. I have to practice thinking glass is half full, glass is half full, half full half full yes I'm a fool.....oh, oh, critic crept in there and don't know who that prankster was! Hey, give me back my glass half full of beer! see thinking positive already! :( Take care!

See you caught yourself and self corrected and even added some humor. GREAT JOB!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi tmays,

Good hearing from you again. How have you been? :cool:

I have been able to catch a lot of my negativity but the difficulty is in what to do w/ them (I think I'll put them in a box, wrap it up and give it to my boss!). One phrase my T has given me is to repeat to myself, even if I don't believe it: "I am a good person". "I am a good person." "I am a good person." Nope, think I have to say it a couple hundred more times! :eek:

Compliments are a whole other story. Still don't feel comfortable receiving them.

Thanks tmays. Take care...;)

My understanding is that the messages you replace the negative thoughts with need to be replaced with ones you do believe so I don't understand why your T wants you to keep telling yourself you are a good person (which btw I am sure you are) but if you don't elive it when you say it won't stick with you. I think you need to take a step back and ask yourself what is a bad person and after you list what that is see if it fits you and I'm sure it won't. This worked wonders for me.

• 1 month later...
My understanding is that the messages you replace the negative thoughts with need to be replaced with ones you do believe so I don't understand why your T wants you to keep telling yourself you are a good person (which btw I am sure you are) but if you don't elive it when you say it won't stick with you. I think you need to take a step back and ask yourself what is a bad person and after you list what that is see if it fits you and I'm sure it won't. This worked wonders for me.

Excellent analysis tmays:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Cynthia,

How did your holidays end up going? I handled the usual family stuff better than I ever have in the past and was able to counter my thoughts in my TEA forms whenever I felt myself about to lose it and they always calmed me down and prevented things from blowing up even more. Happy New Year and I look forward to hearing more about how you are doing:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Im do all the looking for help and i co-operate......untill its time to take action.............omg, untill its time to take action, im a sick girl. :eek::eek::eek: I didnt really want to admit this, but I did anyway.:eek

Admitting to a problem is the first step to getting well so HOORAY for you catsirish:D

The first step is always the hardest. I didn't even think countering my thoughts in the TEA forms would help me at all and had a hard time getting started on them. But now I am doing them everyday and trying to encourage others to give them a try. Even a baby step is a start so try and make a few babysteps.

We're here to help encourage and offer whatever help we can.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...