Mental Support Community

A Great Loss

chatterbox512

This seems so silly posting this, but I don't care right now.

We had to put down my cat yesterday because she was very sick. She had fluid around her lungs and was breathing through her mouth, and was very miserable. The last two days she would not eat or drink anything so we were forceing water into her via a medicine dropper (not easy for both parties involved). It was very hard to watch her suffer like that. So when we took her to the vet yesterday, the Dr. did an x-ray and found that one of her lungs had alot of fluid around it (he said he removed like 3 mls of fluid). When he looked under the microscope he said that the cells looked cancerous, so we made the decision to put her down last night. He said that the prognosis of her getting better was not good, and we didn't want her to suffer anymore than she needed to.

It is by far one of the hardest decisions I have had to make yet. It was soo sad to see her the last minutes before she was gone, especially since she seemed upset with us. I was tearing myself up inside because we didn't take her in sooner, but the vet told us the prognosis would have been the same, so we just had a few more days with her.

She has given us nine years of wonderful companionship, and it seems so empty in this house without her. She was born on our farm and has never left other than to go to the vet. It seems somewhat ironic that her least favorite thing to do was the last thing she got to do. She HATED going for car rides and was not found of going to the vet. It seemed very weird having such a quite ride with her in the car yesterday when we took her to the vet, as she was focusing so much on breathing she didn't meow at all. Of course we hadn't heard her meow in two days.

She was like the beginning of what my husband and I are, so it is difficult to imagine a life together without her. She experienced us moving in here, she was there when we got married, brought home her 'sister', had our baby and grew into our lives together. She has always been there to greet us when back from vacations and has always given unconditional love. She was even totally accepting when we brought our son home and took to him right away. My son and Peanut have been great friends since. I don' think it has really sunk in to my son that Peanut is not coming home although he was there to say good bye, it may take a couple of days. At least his first lost happened when he was so young so he won't remember much of it, but that doesn't mean it is easy for any of us.

I am sorry this is just going on and on, I just wanted to get this down in writing, and here seemed like a good place. She is always in our hearts, and will be missed greatly.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate it.

My condolences Chatterbox;

It is not silly at all. I have lost a few family pets (both dogs & cats) through the years. They are part of a family & help in so many ways.

I recently lost my dear buddy & friend (Family dog) of thirteen years. He was there for me unconditionally through everything.

It is very painful. When the time is right for you please dont hesitate to welcome another cat or pet into your family. I know it is rough right now; but when the time is right you will know.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Pets can become such an inseparable part of our lives. They are there every day and they all have such unique personalities that bring so much joy to our lives even through our darkest times.

My wife and I have two dogs that we love very much and it pains us to even think that someday they will not be with us. We just love them as much as we can everyday and enjoy their companionship.

Whatever you do, don't blame yourself about this. Just keep in mind that Peanut had a great life and was loved by a good family. That's all any pet wants. And yes, after you have your time to grieve it would be great to introduce a new cat to your family so they can find happiness like Peanut did.

Archived