Mental Support Community

CBT for ED's

Cynthia

Sorry about that Mark. I get so used to talking in acronyms I forget that it was not that long ago that I didn't know what CBT or TEA forms were either:eek:

CBT=Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

TEA= Thought Error Analysis

TEA forms are a thought countering and modifying exercise done on a sheet of paper. You write down your anxiety causing thought first, then identify and write down the common thinking errors in the thought that cause most anxiety and stress and finally analyze and counter the original thought and replace it with a more objective and less disturbing thought. I know this sounds rather simplistic but over time they have a dramatically positive effect on your outlook and your life:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reputation is just a count of the number of times someone has liked something you've written, and wanted to make a public note of it. We use reputation to manage the "graduation" of people from initial restricted status to trusted status - all new accounts start with a reputation of 5, and any single vote (pushing that up to 6) will result in graduation. Beyond 6, it's all just a "vote of appreciation" or something like that.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what you mean by "public note". If you mean it in the sense of the way I used it while describing reputation in my earlier post, then the way you'd do that would be to add to a poster's reputation. To do this look above any given individual post for the "scales of justice" icon - it's in the upper right corner of the post. If you click on this icon, a little window will open up and you can vote on the person's contribution - raising or lowering the person's reputation. I believe you can also append a little sentence describing your thoughts.

The other way to make a "public note" would be to quote someone's text. To do that - copy and paste what that person has to say into your own new post and surround that text by the quote tags (

and
. If you highlight the text and then click on the "quote" icon (the icon that looks like a cartoon text bubble), these tags will be added automatically

• 8 months later...

Back to the original topic of this thread I wanted to share that one of my co-workers daughters had an eating disorder and I told her about CBT and the book we used in my group so she got it for her for Christmas and she told me today that she has already seen some signs of it helping her not succumb to her old habits. Too early to call it a cure or even a success but they pleased so far:)

• 2 weeks later...

Amberlyn,

So good to hear you have been in recovery for a year now:D I agree that the more coping techniques we have the more likely we are not to fall into relapse. The TEA forms work well if you do them regularly and it only takes me a few minutes a day to do them now. I think you will like adding them to your repertoire. Keep in touch:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Thank you Cynthia for the suggestion about TEA and the book "Been there, Done that, Do this"

I've search for the review of this book and found that it's a very top of self-motivation book to read! I definitely gonna read it!

=)

You are welcome Ferry :) I think you will be really pleased with the results that come from doing the TEA form for a few minutes each day.

I see you are in Thailand so you may not be able to find it in libraries there but you can order on line at www.tao3.com

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any further help or encouragement:p

• 2 weeks later...
You are welcome Ferry :) I think you will be really pleased with the results that come from doing the TEA form for a few minutes each day.

I see you are in Thailand so you may not be able to find it in libraries there but you can order on line at www.tao3.com

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any further help or encouragement:p

After I saw your post, I was looking for this book on amazon.com and it's $89.99 (the used book is $18.99) I thought it was expensive (and I have to pay for the shipping too you know) so I searched for CBT Thai book and I found a very good one. I read it and thought it might not be too distinct from the Eng version. I love it! I love the way CBT works and it's very awesome to see our thoughts differ from the past!

Thank you Cynthia for the guidance

ps. i've just checked tao3.com it's only $12.99 so I might consider order it. Thanks! :)