Mental Support Community

Lost it again?

58corvette

Another Post for help lost again. I think I took all of maybe seven minutes to write it. Of course it will Post this. But im going to my other Internet sites; I.E. Facebook, Sports whatever just to pass the time.

This Site & People are so good for my situation. But I just cant take having to worry every single time I write something of importance to simply vanish.

It almost feels like any other thing in my life. I finally find something good for me, but wait; somehow for you were going to put an extra kink in it just enough to frustrate the heck out of ya. : (

Guest SomethingOrOther

hi corvette,

I don't know if this was guys reply, but it is possible to copy and paste text using the control key (if it is an normal PC, on a Mac it's the apple key). For that you'd have to mark the text by dragging the mouse over it and then press ctrl and c together. The computer should then remember the text till you insert it somewhere by pressing ctrl and v.

Was that what guy suggested?

I am going to try ctrl key suggestion & see what happens?

The posting box & website go blank.

okay I tried Ctrl V Then Ctrl V. Not sure if it saved. But then I hit "Preview Post" & it showed above this, so maybe that works?

I will now try all of that over again, see if it previews this & then hit "Submit Reply. If it Submits this Reply Post; that may work?

If it does, I will try again to post something that has taken Time to Write; Follow these same steps & hit "Submit Post".

If all that works; then Great & Thank You again!!!

corvette:

It's ctrl-C to copy, ctrl-V to paste.

But why don't you solve the problem once and for all. Don't type up your post here. Open MS-Word, or whatever text editor you use and type it in there. Then when you're done typing, log in again here and copy/paste it. You won't lose another post again. I don't take a chance losing posts that I have spent time writing. Don't type it in online.

Guest SomethingOrOther

Hi corvette,

it's probably a bit late, but I'd suggest not to try this with a long post, until you are familliar with how it works.

Try to copy my post with ctrl c and paste it with ctrl v into the post box.

If that works you can copy it, log out, log in and then paste it into the post box.

I don't think people will mind if you do a couple of test posts here.

I don't know what browser you are using, but in Firefox if you press the "back" button, it will bring up the text again. I remember old versions of Internet Explorer did not do this, I don't know if this is still the case. I get logged out sometimes too.

If you can't or won't change browser, you can copy with ctrl+c and paste with ctrl+v or go to "Edit" at the top and click on copy or paste.

When I was having problems after writing a reply and hit submit because of a lousy internet connection, I would lose my reply.

So I would just right click and hit "copy" before I "submit".

That saved a lot of lost replies and if it doesnt go through I already have it copied and just reply again and "paste" it.

I found I only have that problem when my internet connection would go in and out. Now it's fixed and luckily no more problems.....

:(

Wrote a Post Titled " The Joy Of Children & The Love Of A Woman".

It was lengthy. after I completed it, I hit Ctrl C & then I hit "Preview Post". Log in showed up Again. So I did. Then Screen Went Blank.

On the upper left Mental Help Net Community shows. Above that my Toolbar. So in short it's lost & gone again.

I know this is getting old for all of you to here & see. Eventually I will get this right? using all the suggestions. Believe me I feel real Dumb & Stupid right now. I just did'nt think I would have to be so Computer Literate & go through so many steps just to post' every time it's lenghty.

So for now I am going to log off this Site Again. I need to Calm down & try not to feel so Frustrated Again.

Guest SomethingOrOther

Anyway, I still suggest you try to figure out if the suggestions work for you or not, before you write another post.

It really doesn't matter what text you copy to test that, you can highlight any words on here to try that.

Hello Luna;

I dont necessarily have a resistance to typing it offline. I am slowly trying my best to try everyones suggestions & whatever ends up being the best

& easiest for me That Works.

As I said it is a puzzle to me why some can just write at length, and then simply "Submit Reply"?

Everyone on this site should be able to do that regardless of Computer or whatever other glitches or steps you need to take.

I know I am sounding Repetitive & frustrated; I just feel it is not only me but others who arent Computer Literate, that simply want to write their thoughts down; Preview it or just Submit it.

It is such a good site for so many; but I know there has to be others that simply wont post or just gave up do to this. We are dealing with so much as it is; just should'nt have to worry about other steps just to post.

I will continue to try my best to figure out the salution for me. I do appreciate everyones continued advice. But I am trying to simplify it for everyone. Now I will hit submit.

Thank You Again EVERYONE. Im Trying.

Corvette,

It might take some time to sit down and work through with you exactly what happens. One reason, for instance, that I can answer at length with no problems is that I type fairly quickly. It's certainly not a personal thing about you.

One thing I wonder about is whether it might be the setup for the security software in the browser at your end. You mention the screen going "blank" after the re-direct that occurs when you login again. You can understand the "blank" isn't a highly desirable screen state, so it doesn't seem like it's deliberate on the part of the site. That's what makes me think that something is blocking the normal operation of the site.

Re-directs can be a security concern for a site you don't trust, because they might re-direct you anywhere, so some security software (or browser settings) may restrict that. But short of asking for lots of details about operating systems and which browser you use and what are all the settings, I'm not sure what I can do. If we're both on together for an extended time, I'd do my best to go through it all with you?

58corvette,

I had that problem when I started here and was going to completely give up on this site. Absolutely, you must copy everything before you hit SUBMIT or PREVIEW. Then often the process of getting back in will just hang up and you have to start all over by typing in mentalhelp.net again. I don't even bother logging in when it asks me to because it ALWAYS hangs up. Anyway, once I start over and log in after clicking on "forum", I just go back to where I was, input my title again and paste into the thread. Works every time. For a while I was typing into my ipad and pasting from there into my post, but that just caused a bunch of asterisks to show up all over the place (yet another question to ask Mr. Jobs). I got around that by just copying directly from the post, and after starting all over, just pasting directly into the post.

On a totally different note, I originally clicked on your thread because I thought you meant "lost it again" in an emotional sense. I'm glad to see it's only your posts! :rolleyes:

Archived