Mental Support Community

Dont know what to do!

Sparkleeyes

Guest SomethingOrOther

Hi sparkleeyes,

I think you might be right, people who worry less about whether that is the right carreer will find it easier to graduate, because instead of judging themselves all the time they can simply wait for the judgement by others at the end. That way, they safe a lot of energy.

I understand that you feel really drained right now and it's not as such a bad question whether this is the right carreer, but you should decide whether that is a good question for NOW. You have at some point already decided that you want to try this, so maybe now isn't the time to question that, but the time to not worry and just do? I suppose you can make more decisions about your carreer after graduating?

Also, do you have a proper schedule of exams and hand-in dates, so that you can see what you need to focus on the most? There also might be exams you can re-take in the next semester or after some weeks, so it might be possible to plan handing in empty pages for those you can't manage to prepare for now? I'm not telling you to get more organised, because that's how people ought to be, but because it FEELS better to manage all the things that come up. ;)

I suppose it's also an important question how long this is still going to take? I don't think you have to go on like this, if you know you don't want to, just because your parents gave you money.

I think I've felt a bit like you do now, when I wondered whether I'm depressed because of my job, or my job sucks, because I'm depressed. I can't really give you an answer to that... but now I'm on antidepressants.:)

Best wishes,

S.

One thing that might help, just because you get a degree in something doesn't mean you will be stuck in that field for the rest of your life. Personally I have a degree in one thing and a job in a totally unrelated field. Often employers are looking to see you have a degree. It shows work ethic and skills they are looking for. Of course if it is a specialized field it makes a difference, but my point is don't feel trapped. Life is just starting for you :)

Yah well ... my degree's in Biology, I've worked with computers for 20 years, and I want to try to change to something in social work ... It's never over 'til it's over! :-)

I've worked with people who had PhDs in Math, Physics, Music, and so on, and it's never held them back any. {Mine's only a B.S. Does it show?}

;-)

Guest SomethingOrOther

Yeah, I had a phase in which I thought I needed a holiday... then I had a phase in which I thought I need a holiday at least three months long.. and then I thought no holiday in the world could still make up for it, so what's the point having one. Some tiredness is just a way to feel depressed.

Archived