Mental Support Community

Holidays

Guest ASchwartz

I recieved a christmascard from a friend from the US with a quote I'd like to share here:

Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.

[Calvin Coolidge]

I know that holidays are a hard time for many people, including many members here. I don't want to pretend that "it's all that simple and lovely". But... maybe somebody will like the quote as I do and take it as a nice 'cheering up' (?) :(.

Thanks for sharing that LaLa. I'm going to put that quote on my google calendar for December 1, 2011, which is when I usually start stressing out over Christmas. This past Christmas is the first I have not celebrated Christmas night (Dec25) with my family, as we did it on Dec. 24th instead. So I was on my own Christmas night feeling kind of sad, then I told myself, don't get so hung up on the exact day. After all, I saw my family the night before! By 8 pm, I told myself, hey in a normal year, I would have been jumping in the car to go home right about then, so Christmas with family would have been over anyway. At that point, I started to feel pretty good and I just relaxed and enjoyed the peace and silence.

Lala, this new year is scary for me too. :)

I HAVE to find work this year. So this morning I sat down to fill in some application forms. My CV is like a patchwork blanket, little bit here, little bit over there, little bit way over there, all unrelated. I'm not working in the field I studied for and I am not keen to do so. So my CV looks weird and it's hard to tell what I actually do or what I could do; my CV doesn't suit job profiles. Every time I fill in application forms I get into despair about how to make it seem I would be good for a job. My self-confidence during the unemployment has eroded so badly, I am afraid to do so many things. And I got into despair again. Then my printer broke. Small thing, but I just folded and sobbed. :( Why does everything have to be such a daily battle? :( And I ever going to be able to work again?

And all I can do is keep getting up, and getting up, and getting up ... and I wish I could find my feet and just stay up for a while.

Archived