Mental Support Community

Do I suffer from delusions?

I have always seen myself as a reasonable person. Lately I wonder if some of my beliefs are delusional. I was diagnosed with GAD(generalized anxiety disorder). Today I started going to counseling again and the intake guy asked me all of the same questions they did before, and this time he told me his diagnosis straight out; Major Depression. I don't want to make it sound like all therapists are complete idiots but, sometimes I do feel like I know more than they do about their own profession. I didn't argue with him although I felt like doing so. It's completely obvious to me that the source of my depression is my anxiety which is the underlying problem. I also think it is ridiculous that I have been going to this location for three years on and off and they still can't seem to get organized. I have plenty of records they can look at to know my previous mental issues. I can't understand why they have to ask me the same questions over and over again and then come out with a different result every time, when I still feel the same. Maybe it is that I am just so caught up in my own thoughts that I don't answer their questions right. I'm always arguing with myself about what might be the right response to tell them. I just try to keep it simple; when I am around people I am extremely uncomfortable. The real truth of it is this: when I am around other people I constantly think they are judging me and putting me down. Even when I'm just walking down the street, I try to avoid eye contact with people because if they see me I know they are judging me. I know it is completely absurd but, I can't help it. It makes it almost impossible to be comfortable anywhere, not even in my bedroom sometimes; I always wonder if people are judging me, and when this happens I have inner dialog almost like a conversation / argument with myself even though I do not actually hear voices. My ultimate question is this: if my previous diagnosis of GAD won't stick, and now, according to a therapist, I have Major Depression... could I be dealing with a more serious problem?

Seriously? The precise label doesn't matter. It may shift somewhat with your answers to the assessments, but because anxiety and depression very frequently occur together, which one "wins" on any given repetition of the questions depends mostly on your particular mood at the time, and possibly on you second-guessing yourself, as you describe.

I've been diagnosed with both, at various times, myself. All it's good for is to try to determine a treatment plan, and that doesn't vary much between anxiety and depression.

However, "delusions" in a formal sense involve hearing and/or seeing complete sensory artifacts that aren't there. You might be misinterpreting whether people really are judging you, but you're not imagining that you see extra people, or monsters, or aliens. So at least you don't have that to be anxious about. :-)

Welcome. You should be free to post wherever you like, now, at least if you log out and then in again.

Archived