Mental Support Community

Our Signature Strengths

Luna-

This was really interesting. From the site:

Knowing our personal character strengths –– what’s best about us as human beings –- is powerful knowledge. It lets us understand and nurture what’s right with us versus our faults. This idea is the essence of positive psychology.

Our signature (top) strengths are unique to each of us and powerfully affect our decisions, preferences and actions in life. Know it or not, we all live by our signature strengths. Intentionally expressing signature strengths in our close relationships, work, and communities can be deeply satisfying. It is: “living out loud."

Source

Here is the article I read about it.

Here is the survey to take to identify your own signature strengths. You have to register, but it's free and there's no obligation. After you register, the one you want to choose is the VIA Survey of Character (the first one). It will take 30-40 minutes so be sure you have a little block of time.

Here are some exercises to build your character strengths.

My top character strength is Honesty,Authenticity,Genuineness. I really like that about myself.

What are your Signature Strengths?

Luna, this survey was a great exercise.. just to get you thinking about yourself. I dont think I have done it in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

My Top Character strengths: Industry, diligence, and perseverance

My Second Character strengths are Honesty, authenticity, and genuineness

The Third Character strengths are Love of learning

Guest ASchwartz

Luna and everyone,

This is an excellent example of what is called Positive Psychology. Its a relatively new movement in psychology and is very helpful. Our own Elisha Goldstein, a positive psychologist writes a lot about this. Its really wonderful.

Allan

wow good think i was suffering from insomia tonight :) this test was interesting. I actually copied and pasted it onto ms word so i can save it and read it for future reference :) Here are my top five. :) I think ill save the website too :)

Honesty, authenticity, and genuineness

You are an honest person, not only by speaking the truth but by living your life in a genuine and authentic way. You are down to earth and without pretense; you are a "real" person.

Your Second Character Strength

Kindness and generosity

You are kind and generous to others, and you are never too busy to do a favor. You enjoy doing good deeds for others, even if you do not know them well.

Your Third Character Strength

Fairness, equity, and justice

Treating all people fairly is one of your abiding principles. You do not let your personal feelings bias your decisions about other people. You give everyone a chance.

Your Fourth Character Strength

Capacity to love and be loved

You value close relations with others, in particular those in which sharing and caring are reciprocated. The people to whom you feel most close are the same people who feel most close to you.

Your Fifth Character Strength

Industry, diligence, and perseverance

You work hard to finish what you start. No matter the project, you "get it out the door" in timely fashion. You do not get distracted when you work, and you take satisfaction in completing tasks.

Character Strength #6

Modesty and humility

You do not seek the spotlight, preferring to let your accomplishments speak for themselves. You do not regard yourself as special, and others recognize and value your modesty.

Character Strength #7

Caution, prudence, and discretion

You are a careful person, and your choices are consistently prudent ones. You do not say or do things that you might later regret.

Archived