Mental Support Community

cut for 1st time. Oops

marinlabyinth

Well, it's not like it would have come to this if cutting wasn't so much in the media. but I thought since it helps others I wanted to try....had my sharpener disabled for a few months. tried but didn't break the skin a couple times. Last night, I was tossing and turning thinking about college, work, ect. (I'm a junior in high school ) I thought about when my mom paid a lot to give me a coming of age ceremony. We rented the priestesses, house on the beach very $$$, bought all kinds of treats, metalsmithed me a head decoration.....when we got there I got sick....I did the ceremony but was throwing up and shitting myself the whole time....ruined the whole thing and got a friend sick too she still holds it against me. i felt bad for all the bad things I've done to her and I am ungrateful. SO I took it out and Yes I cut. I thought I could feel like a tortured soul and a victim so I could feel less guilty about everything, and at least not act like a tortured soul/victim in public because that's immature and obnoxious. You know get it all out in public. But I didn't feel less guillty I felt more guilty because my parents would be mad about that. so I threw the sharpener in the trash. But I did enjoy the physical sensation, adrenaline ect. Just 3 tiny little lines that barely bled.

Not really any question, just wondering your thoughts.

My thoughts are that you can use this experience to be proactive and look for new ways of coping. You don’t have to let it become a pattern for you. Work on expressing yourself in healthy ways. i.e. through writing, exercise, music and art. Look for healthy ways to sooth yourself like taking a warm bath. You can even create a list of things to do when you are emotionally overwhelmed and in a state of distress (sometimes it helps to have something concrete to look at) And perhaps the most important thing--when you are feeling down use words to describe the way you are feeling and let others in. I am in recovery now but it has been a torturous journey and I would hate for you to go down the same path.

My thoughts are that you can use this experience to be proactive and look for new ways of coping. You don’t have to let it become a pattern for you. Work on expressing yourself in healthy ways. i.e. through writing, exercise, music and art. Look for healthy ways to sooth yourself like taking a warm bath. You can even create a list of things to do when you are emotionally overwhelmed and in a state of distress (sometimes it helps to have something concrete to look at) And perhaps the most important thing--when you are feeling down use words to describe the way you are feeling and let others in. I am in recovery now but it has been a torturous journey and I would hate for you to go down the same path.

I guess you're right. I feel like it would be an insult to people like you who have been through something like that and recovered to become a cutter. To read all these horror stories and all these warnings not to do it and just do it anyway.....

• 3 months later...

3 lines? I would die to get that much joy out of just that.

But really, don't start. If you have shame about the idea to start with, it is much better to not do it to begin with.

You did it once, if you don't do it again you have a great chance to not feel to need to do it again.

Archived