Mental Support Community

Frozen

Guest deadman

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the cysts causing you pain, DM? Or is the pain a result of the botched surgery? I have had a ganglion cyst on my wrist for about 10 years. My doctor told me I had several options. #1. Slam it with a book. :eek: #2. Have surgery. He also indicated that it may well come back if I did. #3. Do nothing. I chose to do nothing, but my cyst is not painful (unless I push on it), so the choice was easy. I also switched doctors after the slam it with a book comment...

If your tendons are inflamed, you must be in agony. :( I had calcific tendinitis this past summer in my shoulder and the pain was excruciating. I would say it was comparable to childbirth pain. I was unable to sleep for weeks. I had a cortisone shot and this helped immensely. I wonder if an injection might be helpful to reduce the painful swelling until the cysts are removed? One would think a doctor would know this, though. It's interesting to know that the book trick might possibly work. I must be very fortunate in where it is located that it doesn't bother me. Tendon pain can be brutal. I'm sorry you're having to endure that. :(

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Deadman,

It never ceases to amaze me how some doctors can be unbelievably insensitive, nasty and clueless. Several years ago, my wife needed surgery on her hand to remove a cyst. They gave her local anethesia that she found very painful. When she complained that she was scared of the surgery despite the local anathesia, they did not care and even got angry at her. Both the doctor and the nurse scolded her. It left her feeling traumatized afterwards. I fully empathize with what happened to you. Its not just you, it happens to too many of us patients. Thankfully, there are doctors who care a lot. Its just that the rotten apples spoil the whole basket.

I want to point out to you that if you insurance, whether medicare, medicaid, or private, paid for surgery it would pay for psychotherapy. Just an idea for you to consider. Believe it or not therapy is not just for the wealthy.

Question: On a daily basis, are there any things that give you pleasure? They do not have to be big things. Small things count a lot. Example, my first cup of coffee in the morning is totally enjoyable for me. Do you have some things like that?

Allan

DM,

I'm sorry the relief was so short lived. What is the plan going forward? I'm sure it's not to simply give you some "happy shots" and send you on your way to simply go back and continue suffering. That makes absolutely no sense at all. I hope you get back on the "pain relief" track again really soon, but remember you have some power to speed it up. - keep pushing.

• 2 weeks later...

DM,

I'm sorry things have taken a turn for the worse again. I know the "cosmic joke" feeling. When I'm down, all of a sudden my e-mails don't get returned, nobody talks to me and my family turn on me. In fact, it just happened. That's why I'm typing here - I'm just thoroughly disgusted with my brother. I'm at at my Mum's place helping him pack up her condo (where he lives until her place is sold) and that's when he chooses to let the insults fly. I suppose he's not really that motivated to get the place packed up. He likes the free rent!

How are your hands - did you get something for them again? Try to get out and get some human contact. Sometimes I find strangers are the friendliest people to talk to and they usually don't expect anything from you.

Oh, and BTW, I recommend you NOT see the movie. Try to find something inspiring instead. Maybe the one about Roosevelt - "Warm Springs" I think. Kind of a good one about making the best of a physical ailment.

Hi, DM. I'm sorry that you've been hurting. :) No human contact. :) Do you have any kind of medical coverage at all? A chiropractor may be able to help with the back pain.

People do care, DM. I'm a bit harried and emotionally drained this evening, but wanted to check in briefly. Sorry I am not more helpful at the moment. I had thought of you recently and wondered how you were doing. I always hope that no news is good news. I'm sorry this happened.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

"Time to kill the monster and put it out of its misery, wouldn't you say?"

The short answer - NO!

Here's a bizarre concept for you though. What if all the nice people are in places like this, on this site? We bare our souls, tell our deepest darkest secrets, expose our weaknesses, our demons and yet - in the safety of anonymity we can have real, caring, authentic relationships. Precisely because we do not lie to each other, we don't try to hurt, condemn or humiliate each other. We don't gang up on somebody who is down, quite the contrary, we all try to help a fellow sufferer in need.

Perhaps this fake world is more real than the physical face-to-face world, or at least a whole lot more meaningful. You can still FEEL rejected here, you can still FEEL persecuted here, but I would venture to say that it is probably all in your head, because you have been conditioned to expect it. But I truly believe it is not present here. I think you can actually BE cared about here, BE missed here, BE loved here. And I'm hoping that in learning to recognize good people online, we will learn to recognize them OUT THERE. Perhaps this can be viewed as a safe training ground. If you can't get out to see people face to face, perhaps just stay here - float around the site, find your friends and say hello - I think you know who they are - they will say hello back:).

So - after that long answer - No, it is premature to put the so called "monster" out of his misery. I believe there is still a glimmer of hope. But you must start looking for the good in people, instead of the bad. Because I believe you WILL FIND precisely what you are looking for. Maybe have a look at Jack Canfield's "Chicken Soup for the Soul". Lots of good people in there. I just came across it in my Mum's condo. I hope that when I unpack it I will find some inspiration to send along to you.

It's mostly school that is draining me, so nothing bad. So much writing...

DM, every time you refer to yourself as a "monster" you are denying yourself. I tend to think you're a good person who has been through an awful lot and who deserves compassion and gentle care. This is the least you can do for yourself now during this difficult time.

I would look for another doctor/chiropractor. I hope the pain eases.

Archived