Mental Support Community

Lowering Male Sex Drive

Esruc

I'm not aware of anything that specifically lowers sex drive in men (and didn't find anything promising with an internet search) but I can say that for me personally, zinc seems to increase my sex drive and greatly enhances the ability to get and maintain erections (which then usually makes me want to do something about it). I've heard similar anecdotal claims from friends who take various supplements for various reasons.

So....maybe you are getting a lot of zinc in your diet?? Might want to do some searches on zinc and testosterone levels and formulate your own opinion if you are unwilling or unable to see a medical professional...As I'm certainly not qualified or comfortable making any particular recommendations.

But overall, I would be leery of trying to manipulate your hormones in any large way for any number of reasons including some things I've read about a connection with low levels of testosterone in men causing depression. So... you might end up trading one problem for another.

No one said there was nothing, did they?

Just because we don't know about it ... or maybe the person who knows just hasn't checked back on the site since you posted?

The only thing I'm aware of that reduces male sex drive is masturbation, but that may have limited utility in your situation. I honestly think this is a question for a doctor, and one that they could answer with sensitivity. But that's just my opinion.

I don't really endorse manipulating your hormones but if you are desperate and can't see a Dr. and absolutely insist on lowering your sex drive, I wonder if raising your estrogen levels would do anything?

I have to think the side effects might be less than ideal if it even works at all. Included breast growth, depression, who knows what else.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5678427_increase-estrogen-levels-men.html

Seeing a Dr. seems like the best advice, though. Or maybe people here could offer ways of dealing with what sounds like a too-strong sex drive? Is it really that bad to open up about it?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Esruc,

I know that you said you do not want to go into details about it but some info would help because we don't know if your request makes sense or not. There is so much misinformation about sex that its hard to know if that is part of it or not?

Also, Nathan, I am shocked and annoyed by what you said to Esruc. It was insensitive and insulting. I agree with Malign...control your self.

Allan

Guest ASchwartz

Esruc,

I don't understand? Again, I know you don't want to go into details, but still, why do you want to lower your sex drive? How can we know whether you really need to masturbate more or less often? In other words, we are trying to advise you and give opinions while we are in the dark. I noticed that you did not respond, in any way, to my first question about this? What is really going on? You do not need to go into detail but, it seems to me, you should shed some light on this????

Allan

Es, I remembered why you came to us.

It's worth asking how it's going. Has something made it worse, that your solution has become to lower your sex drive? How have any other options you tried turned out?

I hesitate to say this because it's a drastic approach, but ...

Estrogen lowers male libido. However it also has many other side-effects and many of them are undesirable, so it's not without risk. Try googling 'estrogen in men'.

You may be able to buy over-the-counter supplements that boost your natural estrogen, for a weaker, but still enough, effect. Maybe less nasty side-effects?

However, I would really, really do this under medical advice. A urologist may know?

Oh, and don't trust what someone tells you over the internet, i.e. me. Research the risks well.

Edit to add: SSRI (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Luvox and a few other) anti-depressants also reduce libido in both men and women. It's the reason many stop taking it. You could try OTC (herbal) St John's Wort? Only try this one if you are NOT already taking an anti-depressant, there are not-good interactions.

A whole lot of stories here.

I'm sure the intent of the question wasn't to embarrass you, Es. It can be hard keeping track of everyone who has ever posted here.

Have you tried seeking professional help, either for the urges or for ways to cope with them? I know it's a pretty sensitive topic these days, but there have to be practitioners out there who could help you.

I'm sure society has a motivation to help you with your struggle, though I understand that that has its own complications. Perhaps one of our members has more insight into what programs might be available.

As it is, your intention to be a safe member of the community is commendable.

Esruc,

I remember your first post. Glad to see you are seeking solutions of the less drastic variety. I was going to post something along the lines of what Luna said. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant commonly prescribed because it does NOT lower libido. That would imply that the others do. My personal experience is that Escitalopram lowers libido (celexa may be a similar but cheaper option).

Guest ASchwartz

Esruc,

There are not for profit organizations that provide services for very low prices. If you receive public assistance? they would accept medicaid. a couple of example of not for profit are: Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, Hospital Out patient clinics who could also help get you get medicaid. Anyway, there are a few.

Allan

Archived