Mental Support Community

Need expert view on this one

sensitive_woman

I need your view on something. I met a new psychiatrist today for the first time. While talking to her, she got a phone call which she picked up. While she was speaking, I quickly pulled out a paper from my purse to just skim over the points I had written to make sure I had covered up all of them. She suddenly put her call on hold and said, I can see that you have got a paper with you which clearly means that you have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). I calmly said that I wanted to make sure I dont miss out of anything I want to say. But it set me thinking. Is it true that if you write down the points you want to tell the doctor, it means you have OCD?

Absolutely not, sensitive_woman. Writing a list would not definitively mean that you have OCD. I'm not an expert, though. It seems rather insensitive, in my opinion, that your psychiatrist would say this in such a manner, especially on your very first visit. Have you considered looking for another psychiatrist?

thanks for your response, IrmaJean. This is my 3rd psychiatrist and frankly I'm fed up of all of their responses. The first one kept looking at her watch to make sure I speak for long so she could charge for every second and did not give any concrete feedback. The 2nd one, a reputed male doc kept sms'ing me so I wasnt comfortable going back to him. This was the 3rd lady psychiatrist I went to when my GP suggested shes very good.

Somehow in my current frame of mind, post divorce I feel I have become ultra sensitive so I think I am unable to think clearly for myself. But I disagreed with her reaction because if I had been in her seat and some client would come to me, I'd think the person who lists down points has taken pains to write down and is very systematic.. thus, shows seriousness to want to get help. But her reaction was so sudden and obviously since she is the expert, I was a bit taken aback. Hence, I was hoping Dr. Shwartz or any expert would give some feedback so I really understand whether I am an OCB.

Its true I've never been late for a single appointment in my life in the last 6 years of my marriage as my husband was sooooooo adamant about 'never being late' anywhere. I guess it rubbed off on me and I do tend to be very strict about never being late. I was not always like this though.

Archived