Mental Support Community

Anxiety Constantly

MrTyler

I'm new and trying to figure out how to deal with my constant anxiety. I have realized it isn't something healthy people live with and I am becoming aware of the ways it undermines me in a lot of aspects of my life. I think I have realized that my anxiety revolves around a general fear of the future; anything around the corner that might happen that would either be something I can't deal with, or will negatively impact my life. I am not afraid of physical harm, mostly material issues in life management types of things. Will I get fired, will something come in the mail that I can't address, will my wife disapprove of something about me, will my kids be ok, etc.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but I have this knot in my stomach all the time and THAT creates the problem because it causes me to react negatively to a lot of things and I end up sabotaging my own success. My work becomes sloppy because I just want it done so I don't have to worry about it anymore, etc.

I have a favorite saying that I think is a Mark Twain quote, "I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened". That is me to a T. I have potentially identified that I have a strong perfectionist streak that makes it impossible for me to accept myself, so I assume nobody else can, either. I think this might be the vessel in which this anxiety issue has been incubated for me, but no medical professional has said so.

I am fortunate in that I am not dealing with consequences such as substance abuse or other types of addictions, though I might have some, not just as debilitating. Mostly avoidance things I do to deal with my underlying fear and frustrations.

Anybody have any of tips I could apply here?

The only thing I can think of is POSITIVE SELF-TALK. This is where you look at a situation that is maying you anxious and tell your self "I have made it through this before, I was strong then, I can make it through now, I am a strong person," You know telling yourself positive things to help you through. I haven't gotten to this point in my life where I can do this successfully, but that doesn't mean I don't try.

Another option would be to talk to your dr about your anxiety issues, and they may give you a medication to help keep it under control, but alot of people want natural ways to ease symptoms.

Be patient with yourself!! You can do it!!

Positive Self-Talk yes, but most definitely regular exercise.

Regular exercise is a great mood elevator, anxiety eliminator and health enhancer. YOGA and Deep Breathing are the best till date that I know of.

Even simple breathing exercises are great to begin with -

It is a good idea to type 'yoga exercises' on youtube site for visual representations on yoga breathing exercises to do by yourself at home.

Just deep breathing - inhaling to the count of 4 and exhaling to the count of 8 using diaphramatic breathing is excellent to calm you down. Do this at least 5 times to begin with. It may be difficult at first but eventually you will be able to master it and get relief over your anxiety.

Also, stop caffeine. If you drink coffee, colas please cut down on those. Its great you are not into substance abuse like alcohol or smoking.

Thanks, I would think all you say is correct. There are times when I feel an anxiety attack coming on, and now that I'm aware of it, I know what it is. In the past I had no idea, I just went into emotional shutdown, looked for a way out of feeling that panic-like feeling. This usually led to some sort of avoidance behavior, something to occupy my conscience to push the anxiety out, like surfing the internet to read an article that might interest me.

Now I know it's a fight or flight type of reaction (I usually choose flight). The breathing and yoga might help deal with the initial symptoms, the tension, the undefined fear of whatever. I do get a lot of regular exercise since I enjoy being active. My caffeine intake could be lower, I'm sure. Would it follow that once the physical indicators are under control that the emotional ones are more able to be confronted?

Here are what I find go on when I am anxious: full body tension, I can't take a deep,cleansing breath, paranoia and racing thoughts, overwhelming sense of fear and forboding, serious self doubt (I can't do it), feeling overwhelmed.

I am probably typing this right now in order to avoid something I am feeling overwhelmed by, but hoping it might help as I learn more and more about this matter.

Hi there,

I have suffered with anxiety since I was 7. It wasn't until I was 21, in college, and FREAKING OUT all the time that a doctor finally pointed out that I hadn't taken a full breath the whole time I was in his office. Shallow breathing can cause, as well as be a symptom of, anxiety. I completely agree with the above suggestions. I also wanted to recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. You can check with your doctor, or do what I did, buy a CBT workbook ( there are several ) and give it a shot. CBT is basically like the positive self talk mentioned before, but, with more tools and tips. I have recently had a severe anxiety relapse and am now re-learning how to calm myself down. It's a skill, and takes practice, but, the outcome is SO worth the effort. I learned that once the body is calm, truly calm, it cannot have anxiety. You'll still respond to things appropriately, as in being nervous before a presentation, or jumping out of the way of a car and so on, but, your body will return to a calm center, rather than being tense and tight all the time. Speaking of tense, one method I love for relaxation is progressive muscle relaxation. You tense certain muscle groups for 10 seconds or so, focus on that tension, then release it. Work your way through all the muscle groups in your body, then just keep deep breathing for several minutes. Usually only takes about 10 minutes, but, if you do it 5 or 6 times a day, you'll notice improvement rather quickly.

Lastly, look for some websites. I'm sure you've done this, but, try to find one that really fits your situation. The best one I've found so far is at paniccure.com. It's free, no sales pitch, no product, just information.

Good luck to you,

-jimmyfay2

Archived