Mental Support Community

I need help fast. I am extremely manic

WinterSky

I did not believe that I was really bipolar. my meds have been changed a couple of times now in the last two months. But the last three days I've been definitely feeling manic. What do you do when you have mania? I have an appointment with my doctor for 12:30pm CDT tomorrow but there was no doctor to tell me what to do NOW. Should I be concerned?

I'm shaking, laughing, looking on ebay (I really want to buy something pretty), talking to myself and making me laugh, I have not been able to sleep. Friday night I could not sleep. I went to bed at 12:30am, felt like a long time went by, then woke up at 1:30am. I took two ambien and it did absolutely nothing. Saturday night I went out with family for dinner. My neck was really hurting me and so was my head. I use hydrocodone sparingly but ended up taking one 5/500. After awhile my pain went away and I was happy! We had good conversation and was talking about stuff I used to love to do like horsebackriding, cycling, etc. Then everyone wanted to leave and I was left feeling like partying! So they said tomorrow. Well that night I could not sleep and the next morning I was kinda bitchy. But then after conversing over lunch with a couple ladies at the assisted living place where my dad lives I was really manic. Then after lunch my brother and his girlfriend were going back home and my dad was going alone to see my other brother. Well I drove all the way over there to spend only 1 hour of fun? So I decided to visit with Betty and we talked for over 3.5 hours. We had great fun. Again I could not sleep that night. Well today mania all the way.

What do you advise? Something? Nothing? Thanks for listening.

well I had paged my my new therapist and he did not respond. Then I paged my old therapist and she responded. So after learning from my old therapist on how to cope and then later a 7-hour night sleep (I took two clonopin and two ambien, on my own not what my therapist said to do) I am fine now. I did not buy anything. So I am going out for breakfast and then come home to do some journaling before I see my doctor.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Wintersky,

Well, OK, just tell the therapist, the one you are going to see, about the medications you took. By the way, is your new therapist and the old therapist, a psychiatrist? If not, then, you should speak to the psychiatrist you have about the medications.

Let us know how the meeting worked out and how you feel.

Allan

You did the right thing by paging your doctor. If it became necessary, it would be appropriate to go to the emergency room, preferably a psychiatric emergency room (larger cities often have them, best to know where it is in your area before you need it). If this is a manic episode coming on, there is potential for you to become self-destructive without meaning to do that (e.g., to spend recklessly, have sex promiscuously without protection, take drugs, etc.). Better to try and head it off at the pass as soon as you can. The best and only real way to do this is through psychiatric medication, so the path is through your doctor (or if you can't get to your doctor fast enough - through the emergency room, or the doctor you can reach).

Let us know how this works out.

Mark

Hi Wintersky,

Well, OK, just tell the therapist, the one you are going to see, about the medications you took. By the way, is your new therapist and the old therapist, a psychiatrist? If not, then, you should speak to the psychiatrist you have about the medications.

Let us know how the meeting worked out and how you feel.

Allan

Hello Dr. Schwartz,

I saw my psychiatrist yesterday. I did not think about telling him about the medication I took the night before but I will tell my therapist that today when I see her (she is an LMSW). My psychiatrist prescribed me risperidone (Risperdal) for the mania and cut out completely the depakote and increased the lactimal. He said that it appeared to him due to the changes on Friday that decreasing the depakote caused it to not work at all and caused me to have a manic episode.

I am going through big changes in my medication. Last month I had big changes but the depakote made me sleep all day and all night.

About how I am feeling now, I have a rant I will post in a minute. I was feeling really sick yesterday and slept for a couple hours when I was at my father's assisted living facility. Then I went home and slept 12 hours. I feel really good today.

Thank you...

You did the right thing by paging your doctor. If it became necessary, it would be appropriate to go to the emergency room, preferably a psychiatric emergency room (larger cities often have them, best to know where it is in your area before you need it). If this is a manic episode coming on, there is potential for you to become self-destructive without meaning to do that (e.g., to spend recklessly, have sex promiscuously without protection, take drugs, etc.). Better to try and head it off at the pass as soon as you can. The best and only real way to do this is through psychiatric medication, so the path is through your doctor (or if you can't get to your doctor fast enough - through the emergency room, or the doctor you can reach).

Let us know how this works out.

Mark

Hello Dr. Dombeck,

We used to have the Neuropsychiatric center here but I do not know if that is still there. I shall check on that. But they do not treat patients with much respect if any at all, at least the last time I was there they did not. But I shall do some research for the next time. because after my last post from yesterday I thought I was okay but I still wanted to do some shopping. I spent about $80 which is okay because I did not spend any of my stimulus check back last summer.

You are so right about the best way is through medication. My doctor prescribed risperdal for me and I feel better today.

I learned something from my psychiatrist yesterday. How to cope with mania:

-do something boring and non-stimulating

-do something repetitive

-do not do anything that might stimulate you

But the problem when I talked to my therapist was when she told me to do something boring like housework. I did not hear the word boring at the time but did here housework. Which is why I took the meds. Gosh she was nice enough to call me back and I did not take her advice.

Thank you.