Mental Support Community

Question about therapist

Hello everyone! It has been awhile since I have felt the need to be here! :) My therapy has been going well, as well as my life and I hope things are the same for all of you!

I have a simple question that I would like to ask here before I ask my therapist. Do you think your therapist is allowed to write a letter of reference or character for a scholarship application? I really need one, but I don't want to ask him if he will have to refuse. :cool:

Anybody?

A great and peaceful day to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi Tobeistohope,

At times it came up in my practice where a patient would ask for a reference. I did refuse but not without carefully exploring the issue. Part of therapy is learning how to fend for yourself in the outside world and, therefore, its better to go elsewhere for these things.

In addition, is it ever a good idea to have a letter of reference from your therapist? How would that look to the person to whom the reference is submitted?

In my opinion, its not a good idea: for your own self.

Thoughts and comments?

Allan

Oh, I never thought of that, Allan! Ppl might ask why I have a therapist. Thank you so much for telling me that! And thanks for everyone else's posts too! Today I am seeing my therapist and since I am having some financial trouble I am going to ask him if he thinks it is a good idea to let him refer me somewhere that they take my insurance. It is going to be hard, but it is causing me a lot of anxiety not knowing when I'll be able to continue with the therapy. Just going whenever I can isn't going to be very therapuetic, I think. :)

Archived