Mental Support Community

Blown Away

Jenna520

Okay, it's a little over an hour before I have to be at church. I'm sitting here drinking coffee, watching my son laugh and babble in his walker. I'm completely on edge though. I have never admitted this, not even to my husband, but I am scared to death of storms. I don't know why, did not used to be, not even as a kid. But now, at 27 years old, I develop a fear of storms. How silly is that?

It's really eerie outside. The weather is supposed to be stormy with a chance of isolated tornadoes today and tomorrow. The winds blowing, the sky is black and I'm already jittery. Not even my anxiety medication works when it comes to keeping me from panicing about a storm. Is it normal to develop a phobia in your adult life when you've never been scared of it before??

A phobia can come at any time I would think. Also, the interesting thing about phobias is they are about anxiety more than they are about the thing that is the feared... the mind needs something to latch onto so it chooses a subject to be phobic about, when it is too difficult to just have loose running anxiety with no subject. How are you doing with soothing yourself? Does anything ease you during stressful times? Many people here suffer with anxiety and can relate to your struggles :)

I'm not good at soothing myself at all when it comes to anxiety. Most of the time I get nervous energy and busy myself but my nerves are still tore all to peices and I'm still thinking about what I'm anxious about. My anxiety flares when I drive as well but I manage to keep myself calm enough to drive by listening to a favorite song. If its raining and im driving, i feel like i can't breathe so i have to focus on my breathing. Most of the time if my anxiety is really bad, it flares up my deppression and i just want to sleep the day away until i feel better. I've not found an effective way to deal with my anxiety yet even though I've had it for ten plus years. I get panicky during church because of being surrounded by a lot of people. Most often when it comes to my anxiety, in any case, i just pray. Sometimes its effective, other times its not. What are some ways that you deal with anxiety and sooth yourself.

Thank you so much. That has been the best peice of advice that I've been offered thus far. I don't have a basement, but who's to say I can't rock it out in the bathroom whild scrubbing the tub and shower, or rearranging the shampoo bottles. HA. One round of storms actually came through when I got to church tonight and was teaching my class to the kids. Teaching distracted me from the most of it. The second round of storms are supposed to come in early morning, or at the latest around noon. I looked at the radar. It looks really bad, but I have a lot to do, and if push comes to shove, I'll just take this into the bathroom and let it all out on a post. Sometimes when I post here I feel so much better and that people are not raising their eyebrows at me, thinking im weird.

Archived