Mental Support Community

A bit sad tonight

mscat

Well I had to do something that was very hard to do this afternoon. Here is the story first.

My brother found a yorkie a few months ago running in the busy street, she had a rope tied around her neck, was soaking wet, and very smelly and dirty. Also matted ave very cold. He brought her to me. I had to clean her up really well, get rid of the matts , and even had to hand feed her for a couple weeks just to get her to eat. I thought she was a puppy... I took her to the vet and found out that she was not a puppy , but around 18 months to 2 years old. I bought the puppy package anyway for her that the vet has for pups. So she got examined , had her vaccines including rabies. She is the most sweetest adorable little dog. Loves people and kids, everybody. BUT, she did not like my other 2 dogs:( When she got well enough she began fighting with them , seriously bad fights. She even got hurt and bled a little around her mouth area... My son and I tried so hard with her. We had to separate all the dogs , and my little Shih Tzu was very scared of her.

I ended up having to rehome her... Although I really got attatched to her, she slept on the bed every night with me, and was a lot like a baby, wimpered for attention and hated to ever be left alone. She tore up some of the carpeting trying to get out of the bedrooms, when alone.

The people I gave her to lived far away from us in the mountains. My brother , son and I met them half way today, and that was it. I gave them a fresh bag od her food, and the puppy package that had stuff in it for a new dog.

I feel horrible for doing this, because I think that having a dog is for life. I did rehome her and their was a slight fee for her, since she was a pure bred yorkie. I feel badly, yet glad she is in a better home where she is now the only dog.

With all that , I still feel guilty... LIke I did not do enough for her. I am having all these mixed feelings going on right now. I think I did the right thing, but I feel badly for it to have to come down to this. She was like a living little teddy bear. Now a piece of my heart is gone. (sigh) So that is the story and now I feel this emptyness inside. It sucks !!

aw, I am sorry that is very unfortunate but I think what you did for her was better then keeping her where she could have kept injuring the other dog and injuring herself.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi mscat,

As you know, I am really into dogs and how they help us. I still have three labs and they fill our home with joy. However, there are times when we have to make hard decisions. You know about Mingo, my goldren retrieve, who tragically died of an infection before her time. In any case, I wanted to have her grand-daughter and succeeded in getting her. We soon learned that, with our other dogs, it was just too much for us. I didn't have the time to give her all the attention she deserved. Anyway, we gave her to a family we are close to. They have a farm, own two horses, an old dog, and they have a little girl who is now about 8.

Even though it was painful to give her away, she is living a great life, where she can run freely, interact with the horse and other dog, play with my friends daughter, who adores her, and serve as a therapy dog in nursing homes, just like Mingo did. Though it was painful to give her away, it was the right thing.

So, you have every right and expectation to feel bad but, like me and my family, you did the right thing and that little dog will live a full and happy life. You can feel good about that and about rescuing this little yorkie.

Allan

Allen,

I really apreciate your comments. It is comforting to know someone else has been through this, and is such a dog lover, like myself.

my other two are service dogs, which made it even more important to rehome the other yorkie. they were getting very stressed out, and afraide. i bought them both a big Bully Stick they are bones.... And made them really happy last night. Their is a big difference adding anther dog to the damily when you already have 3, even though mine are toy breeds, it changed the whole enviroment .

One of my goals is to take Miely, the shih tzu to the nursing home where my biological father died , a few years back. My shih tzu is sweet, and not hyperactive like the yorkie. I just feel it is a good idea to bring Miely to the place where my father died so people in the home can pet her and spend time with her.

I think that having a dog is for life.

Cathy, the way I see it, you gave that dog life.

And now you do get to "have" her for life, only she lives with someone else.

Thank you Mark, and Linda, and to all those who responded. It was the right ting to do. my 2 dogs are so much happier now that little "Emma" os not here. I just really hopethat this new family will find great joy and love for her as I had.

She was very special, slept with me every night, but was just to aggressive with my other dogs, they gad to come first. I had them longer and as puppies. I would of done anthing that I could in order to keep her, however it was only getting worse. 2 small dogs is plenty . Now I can focus on their needs , and not all about "emma" anymore. My yorkie, Suzi gave me so many kissess last night , she was like telling me thank you!

I guess I am a little nutty but i talk to my dogs all the time. Suzi is very smart, and Miely id more laid back and has learned a lot from the other dog, Suzi. They are very important to me. But i really like all kinds of dogs. However their is a special bond that I have with my 2 little ones.

I use to talk to my dog too before she passed away her name was Tiki lol, I named her when I was very young. I could feel her suffering my father also neglected her, and I guess I have part of the blame their I could have let her off the leash or something, or gave her my food. :) She meant a lot to me.

Anyways perhaps you could ask to visit Emma some time.

That is a good suggestion Sed. However The yorkie who I rehomed now lives far awa in the mountains. She is with a loving family now, so that has helped me a lot.

It has been a few days without little Emma. my other dogs are doing a lot better too. I can now focus on just them, which is a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am very upset!

The woman I gave the dog to , text me lat last night and says she does not want the dog, it is not working out :o I am actucally pissed off . I trusted her. now, i signed a small half torn paper stating that if it did not work out she could return the dog , and get hre 200 back, BUT it has been over two weeks. I think she waited too long > I am not reading any of her texting. I feel bad for the dog, but if also feels like she is screwing me over. The dog fights with my 2 really badly, I can't have her back.. She could take the dog to a rescue or re adopt the dog . This seems so unfair to do to a innocent little dog.

Archived