Mental Support Community

Hugging

Athena

Here's a piece i liked on hugging from Chicken Soup for the Soul sent to author Jack Canfield by one of his seminar attendees:

Hugging is healthy. It helps the body's immune system, it keeps you healthier, it cures depression, it reduces stress, it induces sleep, it's invigorating, it's rejuvenating, it has no unpleasant side effects, and hugging is nothing less than a miracle drug.

Hugging is all natural. It is organic, naturally sweet, no pesticides, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients and 100% wholesome.

Hugging is practically perfect. There are no movable parts, no batteries to wear out, no periodic checkups, low energy consumption, high energy yield, inflationproof, nonfattening, no monthly payments, no insurance requirements, theft-proof, nontaxable, nonpolluting and, of course, fully returnable.

Thanks LaLa. Here's some back {{{LaLa}}}

I read this out to my girls last night. We started applying it today. I think we got up to 17 each or something like that by the time they left with their Dad for the March break. Because there's two of them, I got 34 hugs! When we talked about it a little later, my 6 year old said "I'm going to grow big now!" The things kids say:) I told them to apply it with their Dad too. Although anybody who reads my posts on that topic knows there is just a bit of animosity there (sarcasm intended), I know he did not have a happy childhood so he could use the hugs. Perhaps it will make him a kinder man some day.

I do not like hugs, or proplr coming that close to me... Never have I enjoyed it. For me, this actually hurts me physically. Can't tolerate this. Even when young.

Not a happy childhood either, was in foster home, before that abused the first three years of my life. Soooo hugs, maybe once in a blue moon. Not all the time ever.

Perhaps i am just weird , but that is how it's been since childhood. I keep my distance for sure.. Love my son. and still it is difficult to show physical affection, it makes me cringe. I must be a terrible person>

My dogs , now they are the ones who give me lots of unconditional love, and kissess , that I can tolerate ...

I agree with Irma. We all have our own particularities.

It has been such an experience for me to be in therapy without that physical contact. For me intimacy was always about touch but i have discovered another intimacy that i now value immensely.

Great experience!

Be well and give a cuddle to your dogs for me :D

Archived