Mental Support Community

Better Solutions...Maybe?

So, I have been thinking of ways I might be able to stay with my current therapist. The first is maybe I could bring my daughter and we can split the sessions like I did with my son until he started taking up all the time (which I am happy he is finally taking :D). He has mentioned a couple of times that he has been thinking of getting some secretarial help and I was thinking why couldn't we trade out where I do some work for him and he sees me once a week? Is that unethical or unproffessional in any way? I sure hope not because I really really don't want to switch therapists.

Guest SomethingOrOther

I wonder, if you really want to be told off by your therapist, when you come to work late? I think you can't work for your therapist, because they'd become your employer, and it's considered unprofessional to have a dual relationship with a client. So, I expect that they are going to say no to that.

ToBe, I can understand your dilemma in this, but I have to agree with SoO. I don't think it would be in your best interests to place yourself in this kind of position. There is a power differential in the client-therapist relationship and the different roles might become confusing and potentially harmful to you. Perhaps there are other options? Have you spoken with your therapist about wanting to work things out to stay with him?

If this is so, then I have confidence my therapist won't let it happen. He trulyl is a good therapist. He emailed me after I suggested this and said there are certainly options if I choose to stay with him. Things have been going very bad lately, I'm in a bout of deep depression. He called today and suggested I call my Pdoc and see if another medication might be in order. So, I guess that's my next move. I will call him tomorrow. I think it can be worked out somehow. I hope so.

Hi, Amy,

I'm sorry you are in a deep depression again :(...

It's good that you'll call your pdoc and discuss meds. And it sounds optimistic that your therapist sees options how to stay with him! :)

I'm sorry for my previous post - I agreed there with the idea that you would work for your therapist, but that was because of my misunderstanding of your post :o. Now when I already know what was it about, I rather agree with SoO and IJ. But also with you :):

If this is so, then I have confidence my therapist won't let it happen. He truly is a good therapist.

Would you mind to write about why you are so depressed again? If it could help you a bit "to vent" here, we are here to listen...

L.

Guest ASchwartz

Tobeistohope,

Working for your therapist, even if he allowed it, and that is highly doubtful if he is a good therapist, would complicate and ruin your therapy. I agree, he would become your employer and, what then? The entire therapeutic relationship would be negatively impacted because he would now be your boss. Its truly impossible.

What has happened to make so depressed these days?

Allan

Thank you, Allen. I think the thought of having to switch therapists has something to do with it and also I beat myself up over whether or not I smoke and eat right. I think what i'm going to have to do is accept myself whether or not I smoke or whether or not I eat something I know I should't and then maybe when I am feeling better I can attace these things with more vigilance, but, right now, I am pretty depressed and nothing else but a cigarette seems to comfort me. What do you think?

Guest ASchwartz

Tobe,

Others may disagree with me but, I think that, for now, don't worry about smoking or what you eat. Its more important to work on your depression and seeing to the smoking problem later. I am not saying that is good to smoke, its just that this is not the right time. This seems to "feed" your tendencies to obsess.

That does everyone else think?

Allan

Archived