Mental Support Community

Hamlet Syndrome

MrTyler

Guest ASchwartz

Hi MrTyler,

Hamlet Syndrome is the name of a book. The book is about people who think so much that they underachieve. Hamlet thought and thought and thought but did not take action. Hope this helps.

Allan

Thank you, I am actually reading the book right now and I am finding it useful in that I agree with the premise and think it applies to me. I have extrapolated what I have read to the anxiety I experience and I am convinced the ambivalence (Hamlet Syndrome) is the root of my anxiety.

Now I want to discuss it with people who might be able to shed light on methods by which to defeat the ambivalence. It effects everything I do and is debilitating. So I am hoping to enter into a discussion about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for looking and responding. I am very curious about self defeating behavior, and I seem to have a lot!

I read the book that Dr Schwartz cited, it is good at describing the situation, but not so good at recommending solutions. I have identified that I am very stubborn about my standards in life, be they cultural, political, arts, societal behavior, etc. I think I romanticize a lot of things and cling to these standards and isolate myself from the main stream that way.

I am also extremely ambivalent about tasks, often letting perfectionism stop me from completing things; I often find myself at an impasse.

Tell me why you think you might be of this type!

Thanks!

Hmm interesting. Yeah I am also very stubborn about certain ideas about politics, art, society, etc. So is the idea that if you're holding out for something that is rarely or maybe never going to happen, then it's not good? It sounds like that's what you were saying.

Ya well basically I'm considered smart but there's not enough outcome in my life it seems. It really sucks! Maybe I'll shoot you a PM...

Hamlet - hmmm the little I can remember an existential crisis comes to mind and then as a result the dude spent too much time in his head - Freud would have told him he was intellectualizin mebbe? Strange paradox actually - the more time the dude was debatin "to be or not to be" - he was just not "being" in any sense was he? For me brother it's all about acceptance and lettin go?

Guest ASchwartz

MrTyler,

Well, in terms of how to help yourself with the Hamlet Syndrome, I can recommend yet another book: Brain Lock, by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, MD and no relation to me. It explains about obsessional thinking and, then, provides self help methods of helping to stop it. Finally, there is also seeing a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist.

Allan

Archived