Mental Support Community

Schizotypal Disorder

khepri

Is this just more bullshit to sell drugs or is it a real thing? Is it true that they don't really know how to treat it beyond throwing atypical antipsychotics at people? I mean, I'd rather kill myself than go back on one of those horrible things.

Is it on the schizophrenia spectrum? What is stereotyped speech? Why is it only a personality disorder in the US? Are the diagnostic criteria the same in the US as they are abroad? What constitutes "magical thinking?" Are neopagan people insane because their religion isn't mainstream? What about nihilists, are they crazy? Atheists? People who believe in ghosts? Or is it just the people who would make up their own wacky religious beliefs?

I mean, am I schizophrenic or aren't I? If it's on the spectrum, I am, right? And there's a physiologic basis for this, right?

The longer I'm treated by psychiatrists, the more I get the feeling that the emperor has no clothes.

Guest SomethingOrOther

That's a lot of questions and I don't know much about schizotypal disorder! But even if I did, I probably couldn't tell you if you have it or not.

It seems you don't feel you have understood it well enough, though, so maybe you could ask your psychiatrist what this diagnosis means and how they figured out that it applies to you?

I wonder what kind of magical thinking atheists do.. are you a neopagan? I would think that only makes a rather small part of the diagnostic criteria. Religion, it seems to me, is not a sufficient criterium to diagnose anything, magical thinking or not. There's a number of other criteria.

S.

I took a battery of tests including the MMPI and the psychologist looked over a couple decades of records from previous treatment. I take his field with a bag of salt, but the diagnosis seems to fit better than others.

Not all atheists believe (or disbelieve) the same things beyond the god question, and given that our culture is 90% theist, a rejection of god, however rational, could be somehow conflated with magical thinking insofar as it could be taken as delusion. A few apologetics would argue something similar, anyway. I don't buy it.

I'm not a neopagan, but I sympathize with them. They're a misunderstood minority that's generally pretty chill.

I just have trouble with the language in the DSM-IV because I obviously don't have a degree in this stuff. I mean, I was raised in a very mainstream religion that taught that magic and wizards exist, but I was only crazy when I started to deprogram myself. I doubt that anyone would classify that religion as a disorder because an appeal to popularity means you aren't psychotic somehow, and they have enough capital and political clout to crush psychotherapy if it ever tilted into their windmill of crazy. I have heard of neopagans, however, who have been told they were nuts because they believe in garden fairies or whatever it is they're into.

I don't know if anyone understands this well enough. It sounds like it's kind of a nebulous group of traits that no one knows how to really treat or define. I've heard that they're thinking of grouping it with schizophrenia in the DSM-V, but I really have no idea if that's true or what.

Guest SomethingOrOther

In my social circle religious people are an exception.

I think magical thinking could be when some people believe they need to wear green socks, so that their favourite sports team wins the game and the worst effect it's going to have on their lives is probably athletes foot. Others might believe they have to run down the street naked every day or the sky will fall down. Those might live happier lifes, if they dispense with that idea. So, I suppose it can be a problem in some cases. Also, those sport fans might from a rational view know that they're being silly.

I have no idea what stereotyped speech could be, unless it's like when I start to pretend having a southern accent and am chewing tabacco. (I doubt it). I'd probably need an example to understand that.

S.

I would try thinking of it in terms of what is causing you distress. What are your most immediate concerns and how might you address those concerns? Are you currently seeing a therapist?

That's certainly the best way to look at it.

Psychiatry is the only thing related to schizotypal disorder that's ever given me any sort of stress. I'm perfectly happy outside of their attempts to forcibly reprogram and dope me. They would, naturally, claim otherwise, regardless of my protest. Being comfortable with who you are is bad for their pocketbook.

I'm off my meds and not seeing a psychiatrist. I see no benefit in chilling with Torquemada.

Guest SomethingOrOther

Hi khepri,

I read a bit about schizotypal disorder and I had the impression it can cause difficulties when you try to relate to other people, because they might not understand your ideas and the way you express yourself. It's good that you feel comfortable with who you are, but I wondered if you have experienced that sort of thing?

S.

I rarely have problems with communication, unless I'm talking to a puritan or someone who lacks a sense of humor. A lot of stuff goes over their heads. I generally don't talk to these sorts of people, however -- they're rarely good company.

It could be that I'm not noticing how confusing I really am. Do I seem confusing?

I'm glad I don't confuse you. That's a bit of a load off my mind.

My biggest concern is that I'll develop full-blown schizophrenia. I don't know if anyone knows the probability for that, but I assume that any sort of psychoactive drug would increase my chances, especially those that are known to increase a person's risk of psychosis. I'm staying away from weed and psychedelics now that I know what I am.

Edited by khepri

Guest ASchwartz

Khepri,

In order to clarify: Schizotypal Personality Disorder is a personality disorder. It is not Schizoprenia. People with schizoprenia experience delusions, and hallucinations. They are in a psychotic world. This is not true of schizoptypal personality disorder. Schizotypal has more to do with ways of thinking and relating that others migh think of as odd. There can be a tendency to think in a way that is paranoid because of a tendency to misinterpret what others are saying.

Hope this helps.

Allan

ok, cool. thanks for the reply.

Is schizotypal personality disorder different from schizotypal disorder? I've heard that outside of the US, shizotypal disorder considered to be on the schizophrenia spectrum. Are these just similar sounding diagnoses? Is it just bad information?

• 1 month later...
Is schizotypal personality disorder different from schizotypal disorder? I've heard that outside of the US, shizotypal disorder considered to be on the schizophrenia spectrum. Are these just similar sounding diagnoses? Is it just bad information?

"Schizotypal Personality Disorder" is the DSM title and "Schizotypal Disorder is the ICD-10 title. The DSM is used in the USA and the ICD is used in Europe. In the ICD-10, schizotypal disorder is grouped under the title "Schizophrenia, schizotypal and delusional, and other non-mood psychotic disorders". So yes, in Europe, it is considered a psychotic disorder.

Schizotypal borders psychosis according to Millon. Schizotypals are prone to brief psychotic breaks when stressed lasting minutes or up to a month accord to the DSM. In the US, the treatment will not differ from that of schizophrenia-- antipsychotics ... unless you have the money or insurance for better.