Mental Support Community

Bipolar III

hatemeds

I was at one time diagnosed a 'mix of bipolar I and II'

Though personally I think it is just my personality... I have certain hot-button issues that when insulted get me mad/upset easily.

But I have never heard of Bipolar III (I'll wiki it). What does it mean to 'go manic on AD?'

Guest ASchwartz

There really is no such thing as Bipolar 111. In addition, I have never heard of anyone being diagnosed with bipolar 1 and 11.

Allan

Yes in DSM terms at present there isnt (as my then shrink explained to me at the time) - but he also explained that this was a loose definition being suggested by some shrinks for the hypo/manic reaction some people have to AD's - in my case Cipralex. Whether this ever becomes DSM-able is moot but what I was interested in was whether other people had had this experience and what their long term diagnosis was eventually.

I've become both hypo- and manic on ADs (AD is anti-depressant, Darkness) but I'm BP1. Have never been labelled a 3. I am on two ADs but cannot take them without two mood stabilisers. At least, I could, but my pdoc wouldn't be impressed. :)

Some call cyclothymia, BP3. People haven't got their definitions synchronised yet. We might see it in the next DSM?

Archived