Mental Support Community

mood stabilizers effects on creativity..

joechip

Guest ASchwartz

I hope not. Actually, the most talented of people who had Bipolar had their greatest creativity when their mood stablized. I'm referring not just to the present but in the past as well.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Can you name a few of these artists you mentioned? I think i may have been drunk when i posted that last reply. Get frustrated with feeling listless. I can say 100% that i can no longer draw like i use to when i was off the meds and elated / hypomanic.. no way. Or at least now i no longer want to draw. Now i was never a brilliant drawer to begin with, but so many of the ones i did when i was not on meds where really good in my opinion.

There's plenty of other things i could be doing apart from drawing, the problem is i cant bring myself to do anything. But i explained that i felt really unmotivated to my my pdoc and he said he may reduce my meds from 1000 to 800 next month, so hopefully that might help.

Guest ASchwartz

They come from many professions, not only art. Some of them are:

1. Winston Churchill

2. Vincent van Gogh

3. Sally Field

4. Many, many more that do not come to mind at the moment.

Are you drinking a lot?

Allan

Hi Allan,

Yes I'm aware of a lot of the famous people with bipolar. Was unsure though of which ones had received treatment. Wouldn't exactly call Churchill an artist in a 'painterly' sorta way, and Van Gogh, well i didn't think he was getting Litium at time as the doctors didn't know what manic depression was then.

I haven't been drinking too much, but enough i'd say, was off the drink for a long time and just got so bored and stagnant and fed up. So i started drinking to relive the bordom.

I cant be bothered to do anything to the point where i just want to go to bed all the time. There's creative things i could be doing, that i'd like to be doing, but at the same time i don't want to do them, i just cant be bothered. This also make me feel down. The only other thing i can think of doing to pass the time is to buy beer. I'm that bored its like have a drink or go to bed. I'm probably just fed up and have a mild depression would you agree?

Also i've stated to feel pretty cynical about having bipolar disorder, its never ending mood changes. Since I've been on the MS's i haven't had severe depression or mania but its always up/down/left/right and it wears you down and you say whats the point its never ending. I may be okay today but i know for sure soon i'll be feeling hopeless again, but don't worry i'll feel better soon after that again, but hey don't get to comfortable because that will change too. So its never ending and you feel like saying whatever! Just leave me the fuck alone.

Maybe its because i've been drinking lately i feel more like that. Being off the drink and bored out of your mind isn't much better then having a drink and being a little moodier.

In my opinion the fact i'm being so unproductive , is upsetting everything, i just cant bring myself to do anything anymore, is as if i don't want to do anything anymore.

Joe

Archived