Mental Support Community

Huh.

SongBird

So I went to a therapist for my depression, and came to realize that I also struggle a lot with anxiety. I was surprised at first, but it makes a lot of sense. Ever since, I've been putting aside an hour each day for me to relax and read a book--do something mentally stimulating that won't stress me out. It's been helping a lot, but I was curious--anyone have any advice or suggestions to lesson anxiety?

Thanks!

SongBird

Hi Songbird, I also suffer with anxiety and depression and I think my anxiety is my biggest issue at the moments. I spend a fair amount of energy trying to directly confront my anxieties. If I am anxious about being late I explore the reality of being late and can slow my anxiety by understanding and feeling it is not as bad as my feeling I have been having. It has a lot to do with the specific things you are anxious about. A lot of it is finding the thoughts to counter them. At the moment that is my biggest challenge.

Yes - depression and anxiety go together like....canna remember the song;)

Me - well when I'm depressed I get anxious and very irritable and when I'm manic - well last time I looked I couldnt slow down enough to notice!

Seriously it is very common to have both together and besides the normal tricks like meditation, breathing etc I find that imaginin the worst possible scenario often helps - you take the worry and go with it to the nth degree and hopefully end up wondering what on earth you were worryin about inna first place. Neat trick but doesnt always work:(

Hi guys. Yes, I also have major problems with both depression and anxiety. There's a short internet article on the Mayo Clinic website entitled "Is it possible to have depression and anxiety at the same time?" that addresses this, and it mentions that (fortunately) the treatments can often be the same for both. From my experience with mental health (mostly as a patient, I'm not a clinician or anything like that), my understanding is that there aren't always distinct demarcations between various psychological experiences and treatments, if that makes sense (though I may not be explaining it right). Anyway, yeah, I have the same problems. It's hard for me to control them. Personally, self-soothing doesn't work very well for me. For me, I find that distracting myself works best. Especially through humor. I have a favorite funny cartoon website (homestarrunner.com), try to keep track of when funny shows are on tv and try to make time to watch some, have some funny books, etc. For me, laughter is the best medicine. I guess everyone has their own thing. Sometimes I've ever heard of people making their own kits or lists of things to soothe them or make them feel better.

• 1 month later...

Archived