Mental Support Community

Eating

soaring eagle

The answer to your question is no. Ed's develop over time , and it can initally began with stress or a breakup, however does not improve in 4 days. It lasts months to several years, because Anorexia the person always feels fat. The ED takes over the person's life, counting calories, eating as little as possible , losing way too much weight, still thinking they are fat. Even when others tell them they are not fat. Anorexia can become very serious , losing body fat , muscle tissue , wasting away. AND even with this happening the person with the ED STILL believes she is fat. So she limits her food intake even more, which she loses more weight.

I suffered from both bulimia and anorexia for a good 9 years. my weight stayed even at 87Lbs for quite a while, then dropped to 78 lBs. I was a walking skeleton.

I went into in patient Ed program, but then got out and lost all the weight I had gained .

I do not know the precentage of people who have ED's die. They die of heart failure. I was told at my worst , that my body fat precent was at a 3%. And they told me that people need to have body fat just to surround their body organs. I was made to ride in a wheelchair , because they thought i was going to drop dead. I never did think I was too thin either. I was sent to have a MRI because it was thought I suffered from brain damage from the ED. The bulimia made four of my teeth absess and fall out of my mouth, so now even yrs later I have to wear a partial. A constant reminder of the ED.

I did overcome the ED, but now i went the other way, I became overweight. I had the all or nothing thinking, and also have a diagnoses of Borderline Personality. I still have the black and white thinking , and did figure other ways of hurting myself.

What if a person is truly fat though and they stop eating just for a time and start again when they are how much they want to be? Why is that not ok I have been fat since I was eight so why not? I have tried exercise I have tried eating right it literally did not help any, my materialism is extremely slow, so if it helps for a time why not?

What if a person is truly fat though and they stop eating just for a time and start again when they are how much they want to be? Why is that not ok I have been fat since I was eight so why not? I have tried exercise I have tried eating right it literally did not help any, my materialism is extremely slow, so if it helps for a time why not?

What happens to a person who decides not to eat for a few days is that the body goes into starvation mode. This means that every little tiny bit of food is going to be stored as fat, and when the person starts eating again , it will again think the body is starving, so in turn will put on more body weight. it is the way the body does to stay alive. This can happen to anyone who goes on thse low calorie very low calorie not eating for days. Then eats just to find out that they put on even more weight then before.

To lose weight you got to cut down on the fatty foods, and exercise enough to burn off calories. In order to build your matabilism you have to exercise , and cut out the junky foods. you take in less food , and then burn off the calories by exercising, you can even do some speed walking, does not matter what you choose . You have to get your heart rate up though to a moderate level so the exercise will work, and keep the heart rate going for at least 20 min. a day.

I don't think stop eating will help. Start drinking at least 8-10 cups of water every single day. (it does work. not only drinking lots of water there are benefits as well makes you hair shinier,bouncer and you skin gets softer).:P

Hey Im no expert in this department

Me i get my ex being manic - burns plenty calories.

Mscat's advice sure sounds like good sense and i've kinda ascertained that myself in my own experience. The body going into starvation mode on and off sure stuffs up one's metabolism!! Hell it sure dont help with the mood swings either!!!

What about the low GI thing - I find that keeps me happy on low throttle?

Guest ASchwartz

Sedsed,

First, I agree with mscat.

Second is the plain fact that fat or not, when someone begins self starvation, even for a couple of days, they begin to get snagged into Anorexia Nervosa, without even intending to.

Allan

I find it ironic as soon as I start not eating we have no food in the house anymore anyways :cool:

As of late their is so much going on that eating is the least of my problems but to be truthful i have lost 10 pounds in the last 2-3 weeks. I think I will give you all a list

-school as always

-found out my father is back in jail facing a misdemeanor

-I will be moving in about two weeks

-My computer got a virus and had to be reformatted

-and I am moving in with my bf with my lil sis and taking his mother's room at that :P

-I also found out my step sisters are living on the streets right now and my mother plans on going to drive and get them, though she has no money and can't really even take care of us right now.

My head feels like a steak is being driven through it and I am having difficulty sleeping. I have been thinking quite a bit about suicide again too, I feel so hopeless right now. So eat don't eat what dose it really matter anymore.

What if a person is truly fat though and they stop eating just for a time and start again when they are how much they want to be?

My brother did that when we were both teenagers. He way overshot the mark and became freakishly skinny.

The other question is losing weight vs. losing fat. You can only burn so much fat in a day and if calorie intake is insufficient then the body burns muscle and fat. This is a gross oversimplification but the point is that it's better to target the type of physique you do want and have your reasons to keep motivated than to simply take a negative approach to food. In my experience, this is much easier to notice than to put into practice. :o

However it seems like you've got so much on your plate that none of that matters. Is it possible that restricting your eating is one way to exert control in an environment that is otherwise out of control? It's common to lose appetite in depression and I am no stranger to food tasting like cardboard mentioned in the first post. This makes a poor strategy for weight management though.

On the other hand regular exercise 30-45 min/day is expected to reduce depression regardless of whether it works for you as a weight loss strategy. Since diet & exercise haven't worked, have you gotten a physical lately? Thyroid problems can cause both weight issues and depression, according to my pdoc. There might be other health issues that should be looked at as well.

My head feels like a steak is being driven through it and I am having difficulty sleeping. I have been thinking quite a bit about suicide again too, I feel so hopeless right now. So eat don't eat what dose it really matter anymore.

Im no Freud but that sure do sound like a Freudian slip to me! :( You are coping with so much right now - you mentioned about six different major stressors. Please look after yourself sister - you need to eat properly when you're dealing with so much anxiety otherwise these things spiral into unmanagable issues so quick.

I am trying, yet every time something goes away it either pops up again or something else goes in its place. I continue to try and it just continues to feel pointless. I went to church last Sunday, perhaps I am simply wanting some kind of answer that I know I will not get. But they did talk about things not being in "your" my hands and that people need to let god do what he wants with your life. Maybe their right, maybe even if not a god I should just let life be life and not concern myself with my future and things out of my control it reminded me of points people seemed like they were trying to get across to me here, but again I over analyzed.

Today is also the blood drive, I am signed up to do it today. Everything went well last time I hope the same happens today. It's funny but I still don't know my blood type. :)

Another thing is that I have been forcing myself to eat dinner at least even though I have no appetite, but if I didn't my bf would know something is up.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Sedsed,

Without discussing religion or faith, we do control our lives, at least, to a great degree. My point is that there is every reason for you to believe that you gain control over these problems. Never, ever give up hope of getting better.

Allan

I threw up again last night -sigh- after almost two weeks of not doing it :(. I have also lost more weight though too, which I am happy about.

Also I want to apologize to Soaring Eagle I took over your thread kind of without realizing it :( I am sorry.

Guest ASchwartz

Sedsed,

I have to express my concern that you believe losing weight is a good thing. In light of you bulimia, it is anything but a good thing.

Why did you purge? What problems sparked it? How have you been feeling?

Allan

I know losing weight in the manner that I am is not the right way to go about it, but losing weight in general is a good thing.

Also what dose it matter what I was feeling, it is not like I can avoid feeling that way just to stop.

Well, seddy, one example of why it might help to know how you're feeling (I mean, help you to know how you're feeling; it doesn't matter if you tell us) is that quite often the trigger thought and the behavior that follows don't match, or at least are questionable.

So, for instance, if I were to think "I'm stupid" or "nobody likes me", and then did something to hurt myself because of that thought, the first question I could ask myself would be "how did hurting myself make any of that better?" It didn't make me smarter, or better liked. It didn't enforce some sort of discipline that would make me try harder not to be stupid, or to be more social. It just hurt, because I hurt. But it might help me to see that the response didn't do anything about the thought.

I would comment on the matter, other then the fact that I have no room to talk.

But I will say this stress never helps anything...

Your right stress never helps. So today instead of thinking of my exboyfriend i had to go to the dentist. Root Canal with no freezing:eek:

No time to be stressed out at the moment:).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived